Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Finish Edge Where Wonderboard/Tile and Sheetrock Meet

I am redoing a standing stall shower. The walls in the shower are
going to be wonderboard, however, I am unclear how to finish the edge
where the tile meets the sheetrock of the ceiling outside the shower.
I have bull-nose but that will still leave a rough edge on the
sheetrock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
I am redoing a standing stall shower. The walls in the shower are
going to be wonderboard, however, I am unclear how to finish the
edge where the tile meets the sheetrock of the ceiling outside the
shower. I have bull-nose but that will still leave a rough edge on
the sheetrock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The vertical cement board edge should cover the rough horizontal
drywall edge; i.e. overlap it. The tile will then butt against the
DW. Or leave a bit open and grout.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm sorry, but I don't understand "the vertical cement board edge
should coer the rough horizontal drywall edge". Did you mean to say
overlap the horizontal edge of the cementboard over the rough
horizontal edge of the sheetrock? There also is a height difference.
The top of the tiles comes even with the top of the sheetrock.

Thanks again for your help.

Andy

dadiOH wrote:
Andy wrote:
I am redoing a standing stall shower. The walls in the shower are
going to be wonderboard, however, I am unclear how to finish the
edge where the tile meets the sheetrock of the ceiling outside the
shower. I have bull-nose but that will still leave a rough edge on
the sheetrock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The vertical cement board edge should cover the rough horizontal
drywall edge; i.e. overlap it. The tile will then butt against the
DW. Or leave a bit open and grout.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2006-10-09, Andy wrote:

There also is a height difference. The top of the tiles comes even
with the top of the sheetrock.

Do you mean to say that the finish surface of the tile is in the same
plane as the finish surface of the sheetrock? That makes the
situation a bit more difficult.

Normally, the surface of the backerboard is in plane with the surface
of the sheetrock, as both are 1/2" thick and applied to the studs.
Then the tile projects out further by its thickness. The transition
to the sheetrock is accomplished by having the tile extend over the
sheetrock/backerboard joint, with a bull nosed edge to provide a
gentle curve.

I don't think you want to use a bull nose in your situation. You
could try just running the tile up to the sheetrock, then you'd have a
tricky plastering job to make the edge of the sheetrock neat and
presentable. Or you could try to use a thicker, decorative tile with
a built in rabbet to cover the rough edge of the sheetrock.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Cover the edge of the drywall with a metal bead, mud it smooth, then butt
the tiles up against the bead.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Wayne Whitney wrote:
On 2006-10-09, Andy wrote:

[...]

Or, butt the tile to the sheetrock. Then put a line of smaller,
decorate tile on top of the joint -- sort of like a verticle chair-rail.