Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Informal survey: appliance repair

Let's say your washer or dryer is broken, and you need to find a repair
company to fix it. How would you make the decision between an
independent service company as opposed to one of the large national
outfits? What resource would you access to find such a business? What
do you see as the benefits of a small or large operation? If you could
design a service from the ground up, what elements would be present
that would prompt you to make it your first choice? I'm interested in
your random thoughts on the subject.

Todd

Posted to alt.home.repair

First previous experience would prove Sears repair is a BIG RIPOFF.
nice techs but very expensive and any company who charges twice for
travel for the exact same tech to service a furnace with air deserves
to go out of business. they are so big the overcharge for parts too.

I would look to a small local outfit with referals from friends.

big companies are just in it for big bucks local guy iosnt supporting
a office tower somewhere with hot chicks as secretarys to president
with private jet

Of course I generally repair my own appliances......

I fix office machines for a living

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Let's say your washer or dryer is broken, and you need to find a repair
company to fix it. How would you make the decision between an
independent service company as opposed to one of the large national
outfits? What resource would you access to find such a business? What
do you see as the benefits of a small or large operation? If you could
design a service from the ground up, what elements would be present
that would prompt you to make it your first choice? I'm interested in
your random thoughts on the subject.

Todd

I'd avoid any national company or big chain. They are usually over priced
and often less competent. Out local dealers have good service, good
reputations, fair prices. I look no further.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My one experience with a national was Sears/Kenmore. Upon my first
call, I was told that the local rep would need to call me back. By the
time he called back 4 days later, I'd already had the dishwasher fixed
by a small local business.

Resources I used to find the small business we asked friends and
neighbors, looked in Yellow Pages, called appliance stores.

Benefits of small operation: A local person needs to keep reputation
"clean" to stay in business; possibility of more timely service (see
above); often handles more models or types of appliances, so if I like
the service on dishwasher, can call the same guy if my fridge goes on
the blink; might be a resource for a good used model if I decide not to
fix mine.

Elements that would need to be present: Easy to find (Yellow Pages ad,
regular local advertising, regular newspaper ads). A real person to
respond to my call; all too often, when calling someone local for
service of any kind, I get a very unprofessional-sounding answering
machine. Likewise, someone who knows something about the business; I
don't want to talk to someone's spouse or kid who can't even tell me
when the repair person might call back. Prompt service. Fast access
to parts. Competitive pricing (would not have to be less than the
national, but would have to be not ridiculously more).

Jo Ann

wrote:
Let's say your washer or dryer is broken, and you need to find a repair
company to fix it. How would you make the decision between an
independent service company as opposed to one of the large national
outfits? What resource would you access to find such a business? What
do you see as the benefits of a small or large operation? If you could
design a service from the ground up, what elements would be present
that would prompt you to make it your first choice? I'm interested in
your random thoughts on the subject.

Todd

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sears is totally messed up.

And that fat-ass Sears Whore Bob Vila...perfect spokesman.

For some reason I just can't stand that guy. That Paul guy sidekick of
Letterman is another.

bob v no longer represents sears........

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Let's say your washer or dryer is broken, and you need to find a repair
company to fix it. How would you make the decision between an
independent service company as opposed to one of the large national
outfits? What resource would you access to find such a business? What
do you see as the benefits of a small or large operation? If you could
design a service from the ground up, what elements would be present
that would prompt you to make it your first choice? I'm interested in
your random thoughts on the subject.

Todd

I fix it myself if I possibly can. I use Usenet and the web for my clues.
I dread calling in people....
I now have a washing machine problem that I will probably post about
tomorrow as a case in point.....
Tomes

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
Stubby wrote in
:

And that fat-ass Sears Whore Bob Vila...perfect spokesman.

For some reason I just can't stand that guy. That Paul guy sidekick of
Letterman is another.

Maybe it was a Vila appearance on Letterman, when he tried to mention
Sears at every possible turn and proved that he couldn't operate a saw
or hammer. He was only slightly better at hammering than George W.
Bush was. And about 20 years ago, Vila was sued by Conrad Janis, the
actor who played Mindy's father on Mork & Mindy, for doing a bad job
building his $2M home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think I saw Bob Villa tools on tv the other day. I couldn't believe
what I was seeing. SELF INVOLVED MUCH?? Couldn't think of another name
for your tools? What a whore..

How about a BV door mat?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob is selling his tools on HSN. stumbled onto that the other day.

he is no longer affilated with sears.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in news:1160328087.208348.47180
@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Bob is selling his tools on HSN. stumbled onto that the other day.

he is no longer affilated with sears.

Mercenary Whore.

But...he follows where the most bucks are and HSN must be a gold mine. He's
not stupid, just incompetent. Guess I'd do it to. Who cares what people
would call me. Laugh all the way to the bank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
wrote in news:1160298100.326557.225390
@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

And that fat-ass Sears Whore Bob Vila...perfect spokesman.

For some reason I just can't stand that guy. That Paul guy sidekick of
Letterman is another.

Maybe it was a Vila appearance on Letterman, when he tried to mention
Sears at every possible turn and proved that he couldn't operate a saw
or hammer. He was only slightly better at hammering than George W.
Bush was. And about 20 years ago, Vila was sued by Conrad Janis, the
actor who played Mindy's father on Mork & Mindy, for doing a bad job
building his $2M home.

No ****! He was on Letterman? Kinda glad I missed it but yet would be
drawn to it. Sorta like watching thise nature shows showing maggots
eating a rotting carcas. It's disgusting but you look.

At least on one of those appearances he was with Norm of This Old House
and The New Yankee Workshop. I remember them building window screen
frames.

proved that he couldn't operate a saw or hammer.

Did he at least grab the right one or was he spewing nonsense about the
hammer while pointing to the saw?

Amazingly, he was able to tell a saw from a hammer, but he couldn't
quite guide the circular saw straight. Letterman complained about Vila
plugging Sears so much.

They say Vila treats the craftsmen on his show badly to make himself
look smarter. He'll ask one of the craftsmen on camera what he's
doing, and the person will explain it. Then Vila will stop the camera
and ask the question again, this time rephrasing it so it contains the
answer the person just gave him, and all the craftsman can do is reply
by saying, "That's right, Bob."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wel;l I DONT buy stuff because so and so names on it, I buy what I
think will do the job....

so his marketing doesnt matter

Posted to alt.home.repair

They say Vila treats the craftsmen on his show badly to make himself
look smarter. He'll ask one of the craftsmen on camera what he's
doing, and the person will explain it. Then Vila will stop the camera
and ask the question again, this time rephrasing it so it contains the
answer the person just gave him, and all the craftsman can do is reply
by saying, "That's right, Bob."

I think you've gotten the "on camera" and "off camera" thing
backwards. In any case, given that many craftsmen are better
at their craft than at talking for the camera, and the reverse
is true for most showmen, I'd say that that's both typical,
and proper. Irritating, if you're the tradesman in question
and you weren't expecting it.

But that's what the guy DOES for a living, is re-package other
people's knowledge into a standard format, and serve it up
to a consumer base.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a bad experience with general electric service company. My
dryer stopped working while I was away and I told my wife just to call
someone. A repair man came and determined that I had blown a fuse to
the dryer. He charged $30.00 for the call (I have no problem with this
part of the charge) and $60.00 more for the labor. It seems absurdly
overpriced to me to charge $60.00 just stick a multimeter into an
electrical outlet. He did not diagnose the fuse circuit to the dryer
or replace the fuse.
I would not call any of the major repair companies. I would try
to diagnose and/or fix the problem first myself. If I could not fix
it, I probably would just replace the appliance. It seems to me that
even a minor repair would cost over $100.00 for most items. If an
appliance is over 6 or 7 years old as mine are, I would rather just
replace it than spend 25% to 40% or its replacement costs to repair it.

wrote:
Let's say your washer or dryer is broken, and you need to find a repair
company to fix it. How would you make the decision between an
independent service company as opposed to one of the large national
outfits? What resource would you access to find such a business? What
do you see as the benefits of a small or large operation? If you could
design a service from the ground up, what elements would be present
that would prompt you to make it your first choice? I'm interested in
your random thoughts on the subject.

Todd

Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article . com,
says...
I had a bad experience with general electric service company. My
dryer stopped working while I was away and I told my wife just to call
someone. A repair man came and determined that I had blown a fuse to
the dryer. He charged $30.00 for the call (I have no problem with this
part of the charge) and $60.00 more for the labor. It seems absurdly
overpriced to me to charge $60.00 just stick a multimeter into an
electrical outlet. He did not diagnose the fuse circuit to the dryer
or replace the fuse.

$30 for the drive over (pretty low) and a one hour minimum seem to
be fairly standard.

I would not call any of the major repair companies. I would try
to diagnose and/or fix the problem first myself. If I could not fix
it, I probably would just replace the appliance. It seems to me that
even a minor repair would cost over $100.00 for most items. If an
appliance is over 6 or 7 years old as mine are, I would rather just
replace it than spend 25% to 40% or its replacement costs to repair it.

I agree here. Most of the time they're just about at the end of
their useful life when they first fail anyway. I had a drier eat a
belt recently. I ordered the parts over the Internet and had it
working the next weekend for $15 or so. If I failed at the repair
attempt (never done it before) I would have just bought a new
drier. Same with the dishwasher. I didn't even attempt to repair
it. We were putting in a new floor and didn't want it to leak
again.

--
Keith