Posted to alt.home.repair
PaulD PaulD is offline

Default Informal survey: appliance repair

I had a bad experience with general electric service company. My
dryer stopped working while I was away and I told my wife just to call
someone. A repair man came and determined that I had blown a fuse to
the dryer. He charged $30.00 for the call (I have no problem with this
part of the charge) and $60.00 more for the labor. It seems absurdly
overpriced to me to charge $60.00 just stick a multimeter into an
electrical outlet. He did not diagnose the fuse circuit to the dryer
or replace the fuse.
I would not call any of the major repair companies. I would try
to diagnose and/or fix the problem first myself. If I could not fix
it, I probably would just replace the appliance. It seems to me that
even a minor repair would cost over $100.00 for most items. If an
appliance is over 6 or 7 years old as mine are, I would rather just
replace it than spend 25% to 40% or its replacement costs to repair it.

wrote:
Let's say your washer or dryer is broken, and you need to find a repair
company to fix it. How would you make the decision between an
independent service company as opposed to one of the large national
outfits? What resource would you access to find such a business? What
do you see as the benefits of a small or large operation? If you could
design a service from the ground up, what elements would be present
that would prompt you to make it your first choice? I'm interested in
your random thoughts on the subject.

Todd