Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting 220V from a 400V line

My dryer needs 220V 16A. My wall sockets carry 220V 10A. There is a 400V 16A box
also in the room. After opening the box I noticed only three wires: red, blue and
black. Voltmeter shows they do carry 400V. How do I get 220V from this
connection?

Usually there are five wires in other 400V 16A boxes in the house: two sets of
blue and red and one black for ground. To get 220V I just use one blue and red +
ground.

The breaker box has three 16A breakers for this 400V 16A box (I presume). What if
I switch two breakers off? Would the 400V 16A have 220V 16A instead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
My dryer needs 220V 16A. My wall sockets carry 220V 10A. There is a 400V 16A box
also in the room. After opening the box I noticed only three wires: red, blue and
black. Voltmeter shows they do carry 400V. How do I get 220V from this
connection?

Usually there are five wires in other 400V 16A boxes in the house: two sets of
blue and red and one black for ground. To get 220V I just use one blue and red +
ground.

The breaker box has three 16A breakers for this 400V 16A box (I presume). What if
I switch two breakers off? Would the 400V 16A have 220V 16A instead.

What country is this in?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll echo that, if USA, you may need a new volt meter.

What country is this in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

John wrote:

My dryer needs 220V 16A. My wall sockets carry 220V 10A. There is a 400V 16A box
also in the room. After opening the box I noticed only three wires: red, blue and
black. Voltmeter shows they do carry 400V. How do I get 220V from this
connection?

Usually there are five wires in other 400V 16A boxes in the house: two sets of
blue and red and one black for ground. To get 220V I just use one blue and red +
ground.

The breaker box has three 16A breakers for this 400V 16A box (I presume). What if
I switch two breakers off? Would the 400V 16A have 220V 16A instead.

What country is this in?

Sweden.

Best to ask a local electrical contractor....

Sounds to me like he/she could use the existing wires, which must be
good for 16 amps by reconnecting things in your breaker panel to make
that into a 220 volt 16 amp feed, then put the correct receptical into
that box to suit your dryer's cord plug.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia