Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sconce lighting

A quick question about sconce lights. In general, do they provide less
overall lighting to a room than an overhead light of the same wattage?

The headspace in my basement is very limited and I was considering using
sconce lights rather than take up the extra space needed for overhead
lighting. Yes recessed lighting is an option, but for now let's just focus
on the sconce lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
A quick question about sconce lights. In general, do they provide
less overall lighting to a room than an overhead light of the same
wattage?
The headspace in my basement is very limited and I was considering
using sconce lights rather than take up the extra space needed for
overhead lighting. Yes recessed lighting is an option, but for now
let's just focus on the sconce lights.

Yes.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes recessed lighting is an option, but for now
let's just focus on the sconce lights.

Yes.

And since both recessed and sconce lighting usually HIDES the actual light
source, you compensate for the lower efficiency by using very efficient
light sources which usually turns out to be flourescent for recessed and
compact flourencent for the sconce.

In the case of the sconce you use the BIGEST CF "bulb" than can fit in the
fixture. If there is a dimmer on the circuit either remove the dimmer or
look for "dimable" CF "bulbs."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, but...

In my low ceiling (7' 6") basement I put in fluorescent coves, (very
long sconces.) They bounce light off the ceiling and make for a softer
feeling with fewer shadows. Using long tube fluorescents I can have
very high effieciency at the fixture so I can afford to lose some in
the distribution.

Also "where the light is", is far more important to vision than how
much light you have. Recessed can give you a very bright floor or table
but a dark ceiling. Standard design principals recommend a mix of
types, especially if you have a mix of uses.

Richard Reid, LC
Luminous Views

Eigenvector wrote:
A quick question about sconce lights. In general, do they provide less
overall lighting to a room than an overhead light of the same wattage?

The headspace in my basement is very limited and I was considering using
sconce lights rather than take up the extra space needed for overhead
lighting. Yes recessed lighting is an option, but for now let's just focus
on the sconce lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 19:55:11 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

A quick question about sconce lights. In general, do they provide less
overall lighting to a room than an overhead light of the same wattage?

The headspace in my basement is very limited and I was considering using
sconce lights rather than take up the extra space needed for overhead
lighting. Yes recessed lighting is an option, but for now let's just focus
on the sconce lights.

imho:

The sconce lights I put up around my mantal provide nice 'indirect'
light. It gives a 'glow' to the room without being overbearing, which
makes me think they don't make the room as bright as if I had a
directly illuminating light like recessed lights.

Might want to try using a lamp first, then deciding how to light the
area.

good luck, and please fill us in on what you did later,

tom @ www.MeetANewFriend.com