Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to finish exterior wall under new window (current brick unavailable)

We have replaced a sliding glass patio door with a window
approximately 5' X 3'. This has left the bottom half of where the door
used to be, in need of exterior finishing.
We have just found out the brick we need (to match the existing
surrounding wall) is unavailable. Apparently it hasn't been made for 10
years. The next closest colour match I could find is a brick that is
slightly longer, thicker and higher than our existing exterior.
What do I do now? Any design ideas to fill the 5' X 4' space that
is left?
The area needing repair is the wall onto which our wood deck is
attached. Building any "substancial" structure here is hindered by
the existance of the deck, which is about a foot off the ground....and
which also...isn't going anywhere!
Would appreciate any suggestions. I have posted a photo of the
area at http://www.freewebs.com/lmwr/
Thanks for your ideas in advance.
lmwr

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "lmwr" wrote:
[...]

Tyvek?

Seriously, I would continue hunting for some matching bricks.
I don't think it should prove too hard to find a reasonable
match -- perhaps even bricks from a demolition site.

Otherwise, you might try and made a design using a couple
of contrasting brick or stone styles. Or use some natural
wood siding? What other external construction materials are
used on this property? Maybe even match the roof.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
In article . com, "lmwr"
wrote:
[...]

So how do you get out onto the deck now? Only idea that comes to mind is a
planter box, deck storage cabinet, or something similar, or maybe a bench or
serving counter. Make it out of the same material as deck, and put smooth
siding behind it in the same color as the gutters or something.

Good example of why you always line up all the materials before starting a
job. If I wasn't able to find the brick, I would have replaced the sliders
with french doors or something.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

They may not make that exact brick, but it doesn't appear to be
anything uncommon. So what if you don't get an exact match? You have
about 20 leftovers and you can intermix with new bricks. I bet you can
get pretty close, and nobody will even know.

good luck

lmwr wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 Oct 2006 15:57:25 -0700, "lmwr" wrote:

[...]

If you can't make it match, make it contrast, like you meant to do
that. I'd say go with polished copper sheet, but if you're timid,
use vertical wooden battens, or white stucco. Maybe with a tiny
doll staircase leading up to a fake little doll door, windows, and
balcony.