Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Default basement window well???

I have a finished basment that contains a standard-sized basment
window. The problem is this window is right at ground level. Not
thinking it would be a problem I edged out along that side of the house
(took out the grass) and filled the 12 inch strip with bark mulch.
Unforutunately this edging filled with water and washed the mulch away.
There is a VERY slight slope parallel to the window and water to the
left of the window washed down this edged out strip but some pooled up
in the window and got into the finished basement. There was about in
inch of standing water against the window..... not good. Luckily the
window is sealed well and only about the equivalent of a glas of water
got in. The land around the window is pretty much flat, there's a very
slight slope to the left and away, but again the edging provided an
easier path. I have since filled the edged area with dirt and would
like to create more of a slope away from the house. But with the
window is right at ground level how would I do that? I'm thinking of
putting in a window well, allowing me to build up grade against the
house. Does this sound like a decent solution? If I put a well in I
was thinking about digging it about 6 inches below the bottom of the
window (leaving maye 2-3 inches of well wall over the grade) and fill
half or more of that 6 inches with drainage stone. The house does have
a drainage tile/french drain system installed in the basment, emptying
into a sump pump. This is only an issue with VERY heavy rain... it's
only occurred twice during storms that dropped 3+ inches of rain in
less than a day. Looking for any advice/ideas/wisdom you can provide!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 28 Jun 2006 08:56:27 -0700, "grodenhiATgmailDOTcom"
wrote:

I have a finished basment that contains a standard-sized basment
window. The problem is this window is right at ground level. Not

.. . .
window is right at ground level how would I do that? I'm thinking of
putting in a window well, allowing me to build up grade against the
house. Does this sound like a decent solution? If I put a well in I

A really well drained window well is the solution, yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

That's what I was thinking.... now, if the land is nearly flat and I
dig the well at say 6-12 inches deep and fill party with drainage
stone, where would I put the drain? I assume the bottom. The question
is.... where do I run the drainage pipe to? I don't think I have
enough slope to bury pipe 6+ inches and have it drain above ground. Is
the drainage for water coming in from above (rain) or below (seeping
up). If from above I could add a cover (clear).

wrote:

I have a finished basment that contains a standard-sized basment
window. The problem is this window is right at ground level. Not

. . .
window is right at ground level how would I do that? I'm thinking of
putting in a window well, allowing me to build up grade against the
house. Does this sound like a decent solution? If I put a well in I

A really well drained window well is the solution, yes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 28 Jun 2006 09:37:24 -0700, "grodenhiATgmailDOTcom"
wrote:

That's what I was thinking.... now, if the land is nearly flat and I
dig the well at say 6-12 inches deep and fill party with drainage
stone, where would I put the drain? I assume the bottom. The question
is.... where do I run the drainage pipe to? I don't think I have
enough slope to bury pipe 6+ inches and have it drain above ground. Is
the drainage for water coming in from above (rain) or below (seeping
up). If from above I could add a cover (clear).

To a drywell with 8 to 16' of drain-tile leading out of it.

If you can get enough of a lip to keep runoff from
pouring in, then adding a hinged glass panel,
sort of like a bulkhead door, will preserve your
light and means of egress, while keeping rainfall
out. THen all you need to worry about is seepage
from the sides and up from the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the issue.... I don't think this
project is beyond what I am capable of (at least I hope not). My
impression is drain tile is basically a word for buried
perforated-corrugated plastic pipe (ideally wrapped and then buried in
crushed stone). Is that correct? If I'm in level ground and have this
pipe 6-12 inches underground (running through the bottom of the well),
where does the end empty to?

With the bottom of the window at or just above grade I was going to
have the well extend up about 1/3 of the height of the window (to
ensure run off doesn't get in). I was then going to build up a slight
slope againt the well moving water away.

Again, thanks in advance for your patience... Just trying to learn....

wrote:

That's what I was thinking.... now, if the land is nearly flat and I
dig the well at say 6-12 inches deep and fill party with drainage
stone, where would I put the drain? I assume the bottom. The question
is.... where do I run the drainage pipe to? I don't think I have
enough slope to bury pipe 6+ inches and have it drain above ground. Is
the drainage for water coming in from above (rain) or below (seeping
up). If from above I could add a cover (clear).

To a drywell with 8 to 16' of drain-tile leading out of it.

If you can get enough of a lip to keep runoff from
pouring in, then adding a hinged glass panel,
sort of like a bulkhead door, will preserve your
light and means of egress, while keeping rainfall
out. THen all you need to worry about is seepage
from the sides and up from the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence

grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:

where does the end empty to?

It does not have to empty anwhere. Since the tile or pipe has holes in
it, it will drain into the surrounding gravel and then into the soil.
That is the purpose of the holes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a finished basment that contains a standard-sized basment
window. The problem is this window is right at ground level. Not
thinking it would be a problem I edged out along that side of the house
(took out the grass) and filled the 12 inch strip with bark mulch.
Unforutunately this edging filled with water and washed the mulch away.

Either YOU or your EVIL TWIN asked this same question about 4 weeks ago and
got a lot of replies.
Didnt like those answers ?