Posted to alt.home.repair
OFM OFM is offline

Default Paper As a filler

When I did some joint compound patch up work to plug up some holes in
the drywall I quickly realized that it may not be smart to do so? I used
newspaper to plug up most of the hole and then filled the rest with
joint compound.

What are the downsides to this, if any?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

OFM wrote:
When I did some joint compound patch up work to plug up some holes in
the drywall I quickly realized that it may not be smart to do so? I used
newspaper to plug up most of the hole and then filled the rest with
joint compound.

What are the downsides to this, if any?

Thanks

FIRE
NESTING MATERIAL FOR MICE

Posted to alt.home.repair

"OFM" wrote in message ...
When I did some joint compound patch up work to plug up some holes in the
drywall I quickly realized that it may not be smart to do so? I used
newspaper to plug up most of the hole and then filled the rest with joint
compound.

What are the downsides to this, if any?

Thanks

If anyone applies pressure to that spot, it's probably going to fall apart.

I'm at a loss to understand why you wouldn't have either grabbed a book from
the library, or simply gone to Google and searched for "how to patch holes
in drywall".

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If anyone applies pressure to that spot, it's probably going to fall apart.

The OP may have been talking about a fairly small
hole, half inch or less. I have done the same thing
myself on occasion, filling a hole left after removing
a toggle bolt or drywall screw anchor. Wad up a
little bit of newspaper, jam it in the hole tightly,
makes a nice backing for the drywall mud.

Of course, anything much bigger calls for more
conventional repair methods.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"OFM" wrote in message ...
When I did some joint compound patch up work to plug up some holes in the
drywall I quickly realized that it may not be smart to do so? I used
newspaper to plug up most of the hole and then filled the rest with joint
compound.

...snipped...
I'm at a loss to understand why you wouldn't have either grabbed a book from
the library...

...snipped...

He most likely already had the newspaper on hand.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

ConTact paper cwelch8 Home Repair 2 November 27th 05 07:18 PM
Graph paper source? Lou Grinzo Woodworking 6 December 24th 03 10:40 PM
Removing flexible filler spog UK diy 2 September 6th 03 01:00 PM
Plastic filler (grout) round bath? Alan Holmes UK diy 1 August 10th 03 02:10 PM