Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Riddle me this hangers of doors

This doesn't compute.

I'm trying to put a door sweep on my door that goes to the garage and the
crack between it and the floor is not uniform. It appears when the the door
is closed that the gap is about 1/2" by the hinges and about 1/4" by the
door knob. So I toss a level on the floor and see that it is indeed level.
So I put a level on the top of the door, and it is level. If the door, the
floor are both level then why is the crack wider on one end?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
This doesn't compute.

I'm trying to put a door sweep on my door that goes to the garage and the
crack between it and the floor is not uniform. It appears when the the door
is closed that the gap is about 1/2" by the hinges and about 1/4" by the
door knob. So I toss a level on the floor and see that it is indeed level.
So I put a level on the top of the door, and it is level. If the door, the
floor are both level then why is the crack wider on one end?

The gap is at the bottom of the door. Why did you put a level on the
head of the door?

It's possible that the door was trimmed at some point due to seasonal
binding or whatever. If the floor covering is newer than the door,
maybe they leveled the floor at that time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 11:26:33 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

This doesn't compute.

I'm trying to put a door sweep on my door that goes to the garage and the
crack between it and the floor is not uniform. It appears when the the door
is closed that the gap is about 1/2" by the hinges and about 1/4" by the
door knob. So I toss a level on the floor and see that it is indeed level.
So I put a level on the top of the door, and it is level. If the door, the
floor are both level then why is the crack wider on one end?

Does this door have an adjustable threshold?
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why does it matter? Very few floors are level. Very few walls
and jambs are plumb. This is true whether they are framed or
concrete. Most door cuts (to adjust for heavier carpet, etc. are
made parallel to the door in its closed position with no thought
as to level. I hope your floor is straight enough for your
weatherstrip to seal all the way across.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
This doesn't compute.

I'm trying to put a door sweep on my door that goes to the
garage and the crack between it and the floor is not uniform.
It appears when the the door is closed that the gap is about
1/2" by the hinges and about 1/4" by the door knob. So I toss a
level on the floor and see that it is indeed level. So I put a
level on the top of the door, and it is level. If the door, the
floor are both level then why is the crack wider on one end?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Eigenvector wrote:
This doesn't compute.

I'm trying to put a door sweep on my door that goes to the garage and the
crack between it and the floor is not uniform. It appears when the the
door
is closed that the gap is about 1/2" by the hinges and about 1/4" by the
door knob. So I toss a level on the floor and see that it is indeed
level.
So I put a level on the top of the door, and it is level. If the door,
the
floor are both level then why is the crack wider on one end?

The gap is at the bottom of the door. Why did you put a level on the
head of the door?

It's possible that the door was trimmed at some point due to seasonal
binding or whatever. If the floor covering is newer than the door,
maybe they leveled the floor at that time.

No, the door is new and was not trimmed. The floor was not modified so far
as I can tell at least.

I can see the door being out of true, but if the floor under the door is
level and the door itself is level (at least at the top), why wouldn't the
crack under the door be even? I can't see how level the door is on the
bottom, there simply isn't sufficient space for something like that.

It's not like I'm killing myself here, but something doesn't add up. If the
frame is out of true, entirely possible, it still wouldn't matter, the door
is still level - at least on three sides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 13:03:08 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

crack under the door be even? I can't see how level the door is on the
bottom, there simply isn't sufficient space for something like that.

Check square at the bottom. Trimmed or not it might be not be square

It's not like I'm killing myself here, but something doesn't add up. If the
frame is out of true, entirely possible, it still wouldn't matter, the door
is still level - at least on three sides.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

crack under the door be even? I can't see how level the door is on the
bottom, there simply isn't sufficient space for something like that.

Check square at the bottom. Trimmed or not it might be not be square

It's not like I'm killing myself here, but something doesn't add up. If the
frame is out of true, entirely possible, it still wouldn't matter, the door
is still level - at least on three sides.

--

you are in a better position to judge than we are. there is no magic
here. using a level, you can check everything--head jamb, side jambs,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Eigenvector wrote:
This doesn't compute.

I'm trying to put a door sweep on my door that goes to the garage and the
crack between it and the floor is not uniform. It appears when the the door
is closed that the gap is about 1/2" by the hinges and about 1/4" by the
door knob. So I toss a level on the floor and see that it is indeed level.
So I put a level on the top of the door, and it is level. If the door, the
floor are both level then why is the crack wider on one end?

The bottom of the door is not necessary level just because the top is,
i.e., the bottom of the door is not parrallel to the top.

If the floor in the vicinity of the door is truly level, and the
bottom of the door is truly level in the closed position, but the
gap changes as the door swings, then the door is not plumb.

At any rate, there are floor sweeps that will accomodate a 1/4"
difference without trouble.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

crack under the door be even? I can't see how level the door is on the
bottom, there simply isn't sufficient space for something like that.

Check square at the bottom. Trimmed or not it might be not be square

It's not like I'm killing myself here, but something doesn't add up. If the
frame is out of true, entirely possible, it still wouldn't matter, the door
is still level - at least on three sides.

--

you are in a better position to judge than we are. there is no magic
here. using a level, you can check everything--head jamb, side jambs,
thresholds, door slab itself and judge for yourself.

So what is the riddle?

(I'm not the judge)
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:

It's not like I'm killing myself here, but something doesn't add
up. If the frame is out of true, entirely possible, it still
wouldn't matter, the door is still level - at least on three sides.

No, just one according to you.

Try measuring the door...height at both sides, width at top and
bottom.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 21:06:31 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Eigenvector wrote:

It's not like I'm killing myself here, but something doesn't add
up. If the frame is out of true, entirely possible, it still
wouldn't matter, the door is still level - at least on three sides.

No, just one according to you.

Try measuring the door...height at both sides, width at top and
bottom.

Closely equals Square....
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren,

I re-read your post. Are you asking how there can be a
discrepancy when you read "level" both top and bottom?

A spirit level is not a very accurate instrument and is very
subject to the person reading it. Nothing irritates me more than
to have someone report that "its between the lines". When you
spend the money for a better level like Crick or Stabila, you are
still subject to operator error. The old Dumpy builder's level
had huge long vials on them that really showed minute changes. It
is important when using your level in reference to your door that
you keep the level turned the same direction at both top and
bottom. Your door is probably 3' wide. What size level did you
use? A 9" torpedo level would be grossly inadequate for the job.
A good 4' level would be fairly accurate, but will require quite
an accurate eye to detect an 1/8" variation. A good level and a
good carpenter should be able to do it well. YMMV.
______________________________

wrote:

Eigenvector wrote:

It's not like I'm killing myself here, but something doesn't
add
up. If the frame is out of true, entirely possible, it still
wouldn't matter, the door is still level - at least on three
sides.

No, just one according to you.

Try measuring the door...height at both sides, width at top and
bottom.

Closely equals Square....
--
Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it
happens constantly."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector spake thus:

This doesn't compute.

I'm trying to put a door sweep on my door that goes to the garage and the
crack between it and the floor is not uniform. It appears when the the door
is closed that the gap is about 1/2" by the hinges and about 1/4" by the
door knob. So I toss a level on the floor and see that it is indeed level.
So I put a level on the top of the door, and it is level. If the door, the
floor are both level then why is the crack wider on one end?

Well, looks like the *top* of the door is level but not the *bottom*.
Was the door trimmed at the bottom?

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Riddle me this hangers of doors - done

Thanks all for the replies. It wasn't intended to be an exercise in how to
use a level. I was just interested in why if two measurements were reading
level the gap would be changing. I think the most obvious reason is because
the door is not perfectly square.

wrote in message
In article ,
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Eigenvector wrote:

It's not like I'm killing myself here, but something doesn't
add
up. If the frame is out of true, entirely possible, it still
wouldn't matter, the door is still level - at least on three
sides.

No, just one according to you.

Try measuring the door...height at both sides, width at top and
bottom.

Closely equals Square....
--
Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it
happens constantly."

I was kinda wondering if the bubble moves at all :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks all for the replies. It wasn't intended to be an exercise in how
to use a level. I was just interested in why if two measurements were
reading level the gap would be changing. I think the most obvious reason
is because the door is not perfectly square.

wrote in message
In article ,
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

The door is not square and/or your measurements were not precise enough to
detect the difference in level. If you turned the level end-for-end the
level itself may be inaccurate.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 17:17:17 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

an accurate eye to detect an 1/8" variation. A good level and a
good carpenter should be able to do it well. YMMV.

I commented on the thread. It wasn't my door. I suggested the door
might not be square at the bottom...thus the gap the OP experienced.

He seems to have drawn the conclusion in a more recent thread.
--
Oren

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
Warping Cabinet Doors HerHusband Woodworking 7 July 4th 06 07:24 PM
Kitchen Cabinet Refacing--beware Quality Doors from Texas! Rock Home Repair 3 September 1st 05 10:53 PM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM