Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Venting new sink

My father-in-law is helping install a new sink in our house tommorow
morning. After seeing tonight his plan, I went online and did a little
research on plumbing and have a couple of questions I'm hoping maybe
some plumbing experts might be able to help with...

The sink location is about 5 to 6 feet from a 2" drain/waste/vent pipe
that runs directly into the concrete floor and the other end to the
roof. Where my father-in-law would like to tie in is about 6 inches
off the ground (the pipe comes out of the ground and at about 6 inches
runs horizontal away from the sink for about 10 feet before heading up
to the roof). So he would like to run it directly from the sink to the
d/w/v 5 to 6 feet away without any vents.

From what I've read, code is 5 feet between a trap and a vent for a 2"

pipe and 3 and a half feet for a 1 1/2" pipe. I've also read that the
real kicker is that the distance between a vent and a trap should be
calculated by the amount of slope in the line. For example a 2" pipe
should not be able to drop more than 2" (with a 1/4" slope per foot)
before being vented (so a 2" pipe's max distance between trap and vent
at 1/4" slope per foot would be 8 foot).

Our slope will be considerably more than 1/4" per foot since we have
about 6 feet between the sink and the d/w/v and will be dropping about
2 feet. So our slope is going to be more like 4" per foot. Does this
matter? Do I need to look at a different solution, or will this be
fine? I don't know if I am just too paranoid about this. I've also
seen the check valve as another option, but don't know that I really
want to do that? What do you all think?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Matt wrote:

My father-in-law is helping install a new sink in our house tommorow
morning. After seeing tonight his plan, I went online and did a little
research on plumbing and have a couple of questions I'm hoping maybe
some plumbing experts might be able to help with...

The sink location is about 5 to 6 feet from a 2" drain/waste/vent pipe
that runs directly into the concrete floor and the other end to the
roof. \

SNIP

If it runs right to the roof with no fixtures tied in,
then it is a vent stack. You cannot dump waste flow into it.

Period.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Matt" writes:

What do you all think?

This may be predictable and not what you wanna hear, but it sounds
like you need a real plumber to at least assess the situation.
Perhaps there's one lurking here that'll assist.

In our state at least, there's something you sign before homesale that
indicates all improvements were done with permits, to code, etc, and
should the next owner have a lot problems with whatever you do/don't
do right on that sink, and goes to the municipality to find no permit
pulled for the work, you exposure yourself legally for the long
term. For the short term, god knows has that's all gonna work out.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

The sink location is about 5 to 6 feet from a 2" drain/waste/vent pipe
that runs directly into the concrete floor and the other end to the
roof. \

SNIP

If it runs right to the roof with no fixtures tied in,
then it is a vent stack. You cannot dump waste flow into it.

Period.

Jim, thanks for the quick reply... when I said it runs to the roof, I
should have clarified we have a two story house and the where it goes
up from the ground floor you can look outside and see it coming up on
the roof. However, the second floor has a bathroom right by where the
pipe goes up. Since there is only one pipe coming out on the roof on
that side of the house I'm almost positive that those fixtures are
vented on this pipe.

More for my knowledge... why would there be a vent stack with no
fixtures tied in, what would that be used for?

thanks again for the quick response,
Matt

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 02:44:12 GMT, Speedy Jim wrote:

Matt wrote:

My father-in-law is helping install a new sink in our house tommorow
morning. After seeing tonight his plan, I went online and did a little
research on plumbing and have a couple of questions I'm hoping maybe
some plumbing experts might be able to help with...

The sink location is about 5 to 6 feet from a 2" drain/waste/vent pipe
that runs directly into the concrete floor and the other end to the
roof. \

SNIP

If it runs right to the roof with no fixtures tied in,
then it is a vent stack. You cannot dump waste flow into it.

What would it be venting?

Period.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Matt wrote:
[...]

It's very difficult to see your house layour over Usenet g

It *could* have been a vent for whatever is buried under the slab.

If 2nd floor fixtures *are* discharging into it (run water/listen),
then it *may* be permissible to tie into it. But the only way
you'll be able to vent the sink trap is with an air-admittance valve
(Studor). You can't tie back into the stack on this floor as a vent
and I doubt an "island vent" loop would be acceptable here either.

You'll want the inspector's advice on this one...

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Matt wrote:

My father-in-law is helping install a new sink in our house tommorow
morning. After seeing tonight his plan, I went online and did a little
research on plumbing and have a couple of questions I'm hoping maybe
some plumbing experts might be able to help with...

The sink location is about 5 to 6 feet from a 2" drain/waste/vent pipe
that runs directly into the concrete floor and the other end to the
roof. \

SNIP

If it runs right to the roof with no fixtures tied in,
then it is a vent stack. You cannot dump waste flow into it.

What would it be venting?

It could be venting whatever fixtures are connected *under*
the slab.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Matt wrote:

My father-in-law is helping install a new sink in our house tommorow
morning. After seeing tonight his plan, I went online and did a little
research on plumbing and have a couple of questions I'm hoping maybe
some plumbing experts might be able to help with...

The sink location is about 5 to 6 feet from a 2" drain/waste/vent pipe
that runs directly into the concrete floor and the other end to the
roof. \

SNIP

If it runs right to the roof with no fixtures tied in,
then it is a vent stack. You cannot dump waste flow into it.

What would it be venting?

It could be venting whatever fixtures are connected *under*
the slab.

There are fixtures under the slab! I'm not going to sleep well
anymore at my brother's house.

Urgent! undermount stainless sink advice need!!! John UK diy 9 April 18th 06 10:14 PM
Sink Venting Situation BiloxiBoy Home Repair 2 February 1st 06 01:12 PM
Garage sink distance to vertical drain connection and venting DL Home Repair 3 April 9th 05 02:51 PM
Moenstone Sink Mike Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 06:01 AM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 04:16 AM