Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Venting new sink

Matt wrote:
The sink location is about 5 to 6 feet from a 2" drain/waste/vent pipe
that runs directly into the concrete floor and the other end to the
roof. \

SNIP

If it runs right to the roof with no fixtures tied in,
then it is a vent stack. You cannot dump waste flow into it.

Period.

Jim, thanks for the quick reply... when I said it runs to the roof, I
should have clarified we have a two story house and the where it goes
up from the ground floor you can look outside and see it coming up on
the roof. However, the second floor has a bathroom right by where the
pipe goes up. Since there is only one pipe coming out on the roof on
that side of the house I'm almost positive that those fixtures are
vented on this pipe.

More for my knowledge... why would there be a vent stack with no
fixtures tied in, what would that be used for?

thanks again for the quick response,
Matt

It's very difficult to see your house layour over Usenet g

It *could* have been a vent for whatever is buried under the slab.

If 2nd floor fixtures *are* discharging into it (run water/listen),
then it *may* be permissible to tie into it. But the only way
you'll be able to vent the sink trap is with an air-admittance valve
(Studor). You can't tie back into the stack on this floor as a vent
and I doubt an "island vent" loop would be acceptable here either.

You'll want the inspector's advice on this one...

Jim