Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Different Question Concerning Double Pane Windows

I have an aluminum frame double hung 20 year old, double pane window made by
Kaiserhof, a small company here in Houston, Texas that is no longer in
business. The tag on the window reads: Series K-100, MST 3'8" by 5'0",
Spec-DH-R35, Code 103-1, ETL Sponsored. The movable lower window unit is
broken on the outside and is held together with vinyl stops on the outside
and window tape on the inside.

Is it possible to separate the outer broken glass by cutting the seal
between the two panes of glass, replace the outer glass with one of the same
thickness, And then reseal the unit and reinstall it?

I'm not concerned about window fogging and I suppose that makes this a
little different than most post I've googled on this subject. This really
doesn't bother me much. I can always drill a hole in the upper and lower
corners between the windows and shoot some inert gas in there and seal the
holes up. I have the glass sheet handy in the garage and I am off work for
a few days so I have the time on my hands. Would it be possible to seperate
the panes with a small cutting wheel? I have no clue of what the seal
consist of. If I can answer this then the rest of the job seems rather
straight forward.

Thanks
Ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

probably easier to replace sealed glass unit, most areas you take it in
to store and they make a new sealed unit in a day.

cutting unit apart will be very difficult and probably not worth the
effort

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was afraid of that. It's a shame because I have glass already and plenty
of cutting wheels and time on my hands.

Thanks again

wrote in message
ups.com...
probably easier to replace sealed glass unit, most areas you take it in
to store and they make a new sealed unit in a day.

cutting unit apart will be very difficult and probably not worth the
effort

Posted to alt.home.repair

my father did this when he got disgusted by the price of new window, he
actualy made his own. obviously he didn't use nylon, but the wood
windows he made took alot of time and alot of tools. I would let a pro
do something like this, but maybe you can get it fixed instead of
replaced.

Empresser #124457

The best Games

Glen Cooper wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kaiserhof double hung windows

replying to Glen Cooper, Christy wrote:
lockserviceTAKETHISOFF wrote:

[...]

I have these same windows and can't find how to open the top "sash" to
clean. I can open and close the bottom one, but can't figure out the top
one. The only way to move the windows (that I can tell) is by using the 2
slide in features on the bottom of each window pane. All the videos I see
have a toggle opening in the middle of the sash that helps open it. Any
ideas??

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ws-150814-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 19:45:01 +0000, Christy
wrote:

I have these same windows and can't find how to open the top "sash" to
clean.

Dear Home Groaners Hub User,

Can you lower the top sash, clean and move it back up?

You must have German Kaiserhof windows...

--
"Don’t confuse me with any facts".-- Rep. Corrine Brown (D-Fla.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I have these same windows and can't find how to open the top "sash" to
clean.

Dear Home Groaners Hub User,

Can you lower the top sash, clean and move it back up?

Probably single-hung. I didn't realize mine were. The bottom sashes
tilt in for easy cleaning but the tops don't move at all. :-(

You must have German Kaiserhof windows...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Christy wrote:
[...]

Original Message is 7 years old.
posted on Homeownershub site September 29, 2006, 6:31 pm

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 14:48:03 -0400, willshak
wrote:

I have these same windows and can't find how to open the top "sash" to
clean. I can open and close the bottom one, but can't figure out the top
one. The only way to move the windows (that I can tell) is by using the 2
slide in features on the bottom of each window pane. All the videos I see
have a toggle opening in the middle of the sash that helps open it. Any
ideas??

Original Message is 7 years old.
posted on Homeownershub site September 29, 2006, 6:31 pm

True, The poster still has Kaiserhof double hung windows G

Double glazing - two misted windows Nozza UK diy 16 November 2nd 12 12:41 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Vinyl Windows - Am I getting ripped off? kwest Home Repair 15 January 2nd 06 07:24 PM
warranty question: double-pane windows with moisture between the panes Jack Home Repair 15 November 19th 05 05:04 PM
Preventing dbl pane windows from fogging...? Hank Home Repair 2 February 23rd 04 03:51 AM