Posted to alt.home.repair
Christy[_2_] Christy[_2_] is offline

Default Kaiserhof double hung windows

replying to Glen Cooper, Christy wrote:
lockserviceTAKETHISOFF wrote:

I have an aluminum frame double hung 20 year old, double pane window made

by
Kaiserhof, a small company here in Houston, Texas that is no longer in
business. The tag on the window reads: Series K-100, MST 3'8" by 5'0",
Spec-DH-R35, Code 103-1, ETL Sponsored. The movable lower window unit is
broken on the outside and is held together with vinyl stops on the outside
and window tape on the inside.
Is it possible to separate the outer broken glass by cutting the seal
between the two panes of glass, replace the outer glass with one of the

same
thickness, And then reseal the unit and reinstall it?
I'm not concerned about window fogging and I suppose that makes this a
little different than most post I've googled on this subject. This really
doesn't bother me much. I can always drill a hole in the upper and lower
corners between the windows and shoot some inert gas in there and seal the
holes up. I have the glass sheet handy in the garage and I am off work

for
a few days so I have the time on my hands. Would it be possible to

seperate
the panes with a small cutting wheel? I have no clue of what the seal
consist of. If I can answer this then the rest of the job seems rather
straight forward.
Thanks
Ed

I have these same windows and can't find how to open the top "sash" to
clean. I can open and close the bottom one, but can't figure out the top
one. The only way to move the windows (that I can tell) is by using the 2
slide in features on the bottom of each window pane. All the videos I see
have a toggle opening in the middle of the sash that helps open it. Any
ideas??

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ws-150814-.htm