Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 's-' or 'smell' or 'grease traps' in new buildings in tropical climates

I just moved into a new appartment in a new high rise in Southern
China. To my surprise I noticed that ****there are no 's-traps'****
(='smell trap', 'grease traps, etc': the s-shaped 'contraptions' under
each sink and all the drain lines. As far as I know they have to be
used in al residential constructions. The water also drains from the
balconies in the same way. The whole building, all 25 strories, are
built this way.

To make sure I explain it clearly: all the drainage lines are connected
to- or go horizontally, straight to the vertical drainege lines, whih
their air escape to the roof! Only the toilet bowls have their built in
'traps'.

Is this an accpetable, sanitary, building practice? Is this done
because we are in a very hot, humid climate or I'm the victim of a
bulding mistake or even of a scam?

Prompt expert's advise is greatly appreciatted, as things are starting
to s(t)ink here!.

MWMAN

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 's-' or 'smell' or 'grease traps' in new buildings in tropical...

If there was no trap somewhere sewer gas would be over powering.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"m Ransley wrote:
If there was no trap somewhere sewer gas would be over powering."

did you say gas as in methane? as in explosion hazard?

Sounds like posters building is the only one plumbed like this..
this makes no sense

Posted to alt.home.repair

MW Man wrote:

Prompt expert's advise is greatly appreciatted, as things are starting
to s(t)ink here!.

MWMAN

you don't need an expert to tell you, your smelling your own feces, its
metane gas and it's highly explosive

if you send a charge down the sink drain, it could blow the whole
****ing septic system

by the way.. which way does the water spin as you flush the toilet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

chili palmer wrote:
MW Man wrote:

Prompt expert's advise is greatly appreciatted, as things are
starting to s(t)ink here!.

MWMAN

you don't need an expert to tell you, your smelling your own feces,
its metane gas and it's highly explosive

Methane is odorless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Methane is odorless.

are you sure? I thought methane smelt like rotten eggs

you might be thinking of natural gas, they put an odor in natural gas
so folk can smell leaks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chili palmer" wrote in message
ups.com...

HeyBub wrote:

Methane is odorless.

are you sure? I thought methane smelt like rotten eggs

you might be thinking of natural gas, they put an odor in natural gas
so folk can smell leaks

Methane is odorless. What you smell in natural gas is called ethanethiol -
put there purposefully so that you know the gas is present.