Posted to alt.home.repair
MW Man MW Man is offline

Default 's-' or 'smell' or 'grease traps' in new buildings in tropical climates

I just moved into a new appartment in a new high rise in Southern
China. To my surprise I noticed that ****there are no 's-traps'****
(='smell trap', 'grease traps, etc': the s-shaped 'contraptions' under
each sink and all the drain lines. As far as I know they have to be
used in al residential constructions. The water also drains from the
balconies in the same way. The whole building, all 25 strories, are
built this way.

To make sure I explain it clearly: all the drainage lines are connected
to- or go horizontally, straight to the vertical drainege lines, whih
their air escape to the roof! Only the toilet bowls have their built in
'traps'.

Is this an accpetable, sanitary, building practice? Is this done
because we are in a very hot, humid climate or I'm the victim of a
bulding mistake or even of a scam?

Prompt expert's advise is greatly appreciatted, as things are starting
to s(t)ink here!.

MWMAN