Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default use of 's-', s'mell' or 'grease traps' in tropical climates

I just moved into a new appartment in a new high rise in Southern
China. To my surprise I noticed that ****there are no 's-traps'****
(='smell trap', 'grease traps, etc': the s- or u- shaped 'contraptions'
under each sink and all the drain lines. As far as I know they have to
be used in al residential constructions. The water also drains from the
balconies in the same way. The whole building, all 25 strories, are
built this way.

To make sure I explain it clearly: all the drainage lines are connected
to- or go horizontally, straight to the vertical drainege lines, whih
their air escape to the roof! Only the toilet bowls have their built in
'traps'.

Is this an accpetable, sanitary, building practice? Is this done
because we are in a very hot, humid climate or I'm the victim of a
bulding mistake or even of a scam?

Prompt expert's advise is greatly appreciatted, as things are starting
to s(t)ink here!.

MWMAN

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mwman wrote:
I just moved into a new appartment in a new high rise in Southern
China. To my surprise I noticed that ****there are no 's-traps'****
(='smell trap', 'grease traps, etc': the s- or u- shaped 'contraptions'
under each sink and all the drain lines.

That sounds very wrong. In this following case there may have been
s-traps in bathrooms but the water in them had dried up from disuse:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/sars/timeline.html

Hong Kong health officials say one person with SARS infected hundreds
of people in an apartment complex through faulty sewage pipes.

Hong Kong Health Secretary Dr. Yeoh Eng-kiong says the SARS-infected
visitor had diarrhea and as more people in the complex came down with
SARS and also had diarrhea, contaminated feces spread the virus through
the apartment's sewage system and then into bathrooms through drains
whose seals had dried up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mwman" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Look at the Hepworth site and use HepVo traps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message ews.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Look at the Hepworth site and use HepVo traps.

Mmm, clever. Wonder how long they last. Also I suspect they're
vulnerable to damage by people using drain-snakes. Obviously they
shouldn't need to in that situation, but you can bet someone somewhere
will do it anyway.

They may very well make things easier for my bathroom refit next year.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message ews.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Look at the Hepworth site and use HepVo traps.

Mmm, clever. Wonder how long they last.

A long time.

Also I suspect they're
vulnerable to damage by people using
drain-snakes.

Nope.

Obviously they
shouldn't need to in that situation, but you
can bet someone somewhere
will do it anyway.

Can't account for idiots or members of the uk.d-i-y Lunatic Association
(affiliated).

They may very well make things easier for my bathroom refit next year.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message ews.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Also I suspect they're
vulnerable to damage by people using
drain-snakes.

Nope.

Hot even as they're pulled back? I'd expect the hook on the end to snag
on the floppy bits.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message ews.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Also I suspect they're
vulnerable to damage by people using
drain-snakes.

Nope.

Hot even as they're pulled back? I'd expect the hook on the end to snag
on the floppy bits.

They are very robust.