Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WATER IN MY GASOLINE

I have water in my gas tank in my car, what can I do to get it
out..please help with replies to sbgatl at aol . com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stephens Curiosity" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have water in my gas tank in my car, what can I do to get it
out..please help with replies to sbgatl at aol . com

Dump in some methyl alcohol.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 27 Sep 2006 20:07:55 -0700, "Stephens Curiosity"
wrote:

I have water in my gas tank in my car, what can I do to get it
out..please help with replies to sbgatl at aol . com

Drop your gas tank empty it and remove the fuel pump then dry out the
bottom of the tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stephens Curiosity wrote:
I have water in my gas tank in my car, what can I do to get it
out..please help with replies to sbgatl at aol . com

Add something in which water is soluable. Acetone, for example.

Post here, read here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Stephens Curiosity wrote:
I have water in my gas tank in my car, what can I do to get it
out..please help with replies to sbgatl at aol . com

Add something in which water is soluable. Acetone, for example.

Post here, read here.

Well an old towel will absorb water. Perhaps you mean something that
will co-solvate both water and gasoline and not damage any parts of the fuel
system?

Note: It has been reported that acetone will damage some parts of some
car's fuel systems and may not be the best choice.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well an old towel will absorb water. Perhaps you mean something that
will co-solvate both water and gasoline and not damage any parts of the

fuel
system?

You hit the nail on the head!

Water in a gas tank naturally goes to the bottom of the tank. The BEST way
of getting it out is to drain it from the bottom. Often the fuel intake in
above a little "well" when water and crap accumulated. If one can get most
of the water out of that "well" he can ignore the rest or add some alcohol
as others suggest.

If there really isn't a well or you can't drain it, it might be worth the
trouble to tilt the car back and to the side where the gas filler is. Run
a "gas safe" plastic tube down and somehow apply suction. If will be
obvious when you have water in the tube. If you pick up a reasonable
abount of water in the tube just dump it in an open can and don't worry
about "saving the gas."

I had to do this when I dumped ALL of the gas in a "portable" gas tank into
the tank of my generator. Before I could stop I had dumped almost 1/2 cup
of water into the generator tank. There was another CUP in the portable
tank. I supply the suction with a $10 gadget from the auto parts store.
The tube than came with it was long enough. Had it not been, I would have
used the tube from a "gas transfer" kit I happen to have.

It's also true that cotton towells pick up the water and I have used that
technique also.

Water in gas happens a lot when you store gas where there are frequent and
large temperature changes. When it's hot, the tank vents and when it's
cold the tank sucks in damp air. Condensed water ends up at the bottom of
the container. The lessons are to NEVER attempt to use the last bit of gas
and when the tank is "almost" empty dump it all out into an old coffee can
and let the container dry out. This is best done on a HOT summer day.

Note: It has been reported that acetone will damage some parts of some
car's fuel systems and may not be the best choice.

The stuff you use to "preseve" gas will also take up a bit of water. But
it's best to get as much by "mechnical" means as you can before getting into
chemical warfare.

Posted to alt.home.repair

look all vehcles fail eventually, theres probably a bad wire, module
plug or other part that just happened to fail about the time you bought
gas.........

vehicles today are high;ly complex I would take it to a mechanic for a
opinion......

been there done all this wih vehicles a pro opinion can save a lot of
time and effort

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
look all vehcles fail eventually, theres probably a bad wire, module
plug or other part that just happened to fail about the time you bought

vehicles today are high;ly complex I would take it to a mechanic for a
opinion......

been there done all this wih vehicles a pro opinion can save a lot of
time and effort

No question about that.

But if you can get the "pro" to your car or your car to your "pro" you don't
have to worry about anything.