Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drilling holes into side of house

Hello:

My first time posting here.

For the first time in my life I'm a homewoner, and have little
experience in diy or working
with tools. At 40 now, I'm trying to catch up in a lot things others
learned
years ago but did not have the right circumstances to do that. I want
to learn and doing projects and repair myself I find rewarding and fun.
But I'm overwhelmed at times.

My question. I would like to drill holes into the side
of my house. The holes will be small. It's for a small surveillance
camera.
The siding is the traditional wood siding, no baten board, aluminum or
vinyl.

My question is: Are there studs behind the wood to look for? I'm
guessing there are, I guess
that's the "framing" of the house. Can I just drill on any area of
wood? How deep should I drill?
if there's no studs, how will the screws hold?

Thank you,

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rank beginner" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Yes, there are studs, but for something as light as a camera, I don't think
it's worth bothering to locate them. I'd use #10 sheet metal screws right
the siding into the wood sheet behind it. Sheet metal screws have a hex head
for a socket, which makes them much easier to install than wood screws. BUT:
Definitely get stainless steel screws, or you'll eventually have rust stains
on the house. And, put a little silicone sealer in the holes before
installing the screws.

Shop for all of this at a real hardware store, and tell them what you're
trying to do. Home Depot will probably try and sell you a torch or a toilet
seat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rank beginner wrote:
[...]

Sure, you can drill any where you want. But, I would suggest that you
learn and understand what and how a house is constructed. And I don't
mean by studing blue prints or items of this nature. What I did to
understand the basics of how a house was/is built was to go to a house
under construction and just look. If you can find a development that
is under various levels of construction this would help the most. Buy
books on the subject and read. I have lot's of books on the subject
and will consult them on ocassion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lacking a stud finder, you can generally see the fasteners that hold
the siding to the studs. That should find the studs, but there are
other considerations such as; wires and pipes. Frankly you never know
when you drill, but you can up your odds by surveying the site and
noting infrastructure in the area. I've been drilling with little care
to the above for 30+ years, and have yet to hit a pipe, and only grazed
a few wires. Just go slow as you break through and feel with the drill,
may the force be with you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rank beginner" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello:

My question. I would like to drill holes into the side
of my house. The holes will be small. It's for a small surveillance
camera.
The siding is the traditional wood siding, no baten board, aluminum or
vinyl.

You should rethink what you are trying to do.

You do NOT want to be drilling holes into your house at all if you can avoid
it.

Why the need for a hole? Why not mount the camera on a fencepost, or hang it
from the roofline, etc... ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
newsPySg.60251$5R2.29286@pd7urf3no...

"rank beginner" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello:

My question. I would like to drill holes into the side
of my house. The holes will be small. It's for a small surveillance
camera.
The siding is the traditional wood siding, no baten board, aluminum or
vinyl.

You should rethink what you are trying to do.

You do NOT want to be drilling holes into your house at all if you can
avoid it.

Why the need for a hole? Why not mount the camera on a fencepost, or hang
it from the roofline, etc... ?

It would have to be quite a tall fencepost to keep the camera from being
meddled with by bad people, whose existence is probably the reason he wants
the camera to begin with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It would have to be quite a tall fencepost to keep the camera from being
meddled with by bad people, whose existence is probably the reason he wants
the camera to begin with.

Good reason to mount the camera under the eaves, by coming down
from the attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 27 Sep 2006 10:20:35 -0700, "rank beginner"
wrote:

[...]

I've blind drilled holes in the side of my house for 40 years.
About 1% of the time I hit something I shouldn't. Once it was a
copper water pipe and once it was an electrical wire.

My daughter brought home a stud finder and it is more accurate than
tapping on the wall and listening for the stud.

Drill away and just make sure you have the right color paint to hide
your mistakes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Eric -- I'll definitely study the infrastructure of that side of
the house before going
forward...I've already noted a coax cable running lengthwise underneath
one of the siding boards, so I'll watch out for that. Also thanks for
the tip about the fasteners. That seems to me
the greatest clue of all to locate the studs. I'll keep studying that
side of the house for a bit more.

Chris

Eric in North TX wrote:
Lacking a stud finder, you can generally see the fasteners that hold
the siding to the studs. That should find the studs, but there are
other considerations such as; wires and pipes. Frankly you never know
when you drill, but you can up your odds by surveying the site and
noting infrastructure in the area. I've been drilling with little care
to the above for 30+ years, and have yet to hit a pipe, and only grazed
a few wires. Just go slow as you break through and feel with the drill,
may the force be with you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you to everyone who responded. I greatly appreciate your help.
I think I may consider installing in the eaves, I was planning to
install
the camera in the northeast corner of the house (looking at the house
from the front)
and have it pointing forward towards the front. Although the camera is
supposedly
weather-resistant, maybe the eaves will give additional protection from
the elements.
I don't have any problems drilling holes in the side of my house
though. The holes
would be pretty small.

Chris

rank beginner wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might want to get more specifics about the meaning of "weather
resistant". Sound iffy. How about one of those rectangular hoods mounted
with the camera, even if you do install it near the eaves?

oups.com...

rank beginner wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Shop for all of this at a real hardware store, and tell them what you're
trying to do. Home Depot will probably try and sell you a torch or a
toilet seat.

Agreed, take the time to see what kind of alternatives you have to Home
Depot. You'll save thousands.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You might have a studless house. I'd call a stud detector and ask
them. Just search the yellow pages for Stud Detection Services.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've used two neodymium magnets stacked together along
their opposite poles with good success. They're
smaller than the stud detectors sold, cheaper, and more sensitive.
And no annoying beep. You can get them at the Shack. Just use a
circular motion
with both pole sides against the surface.

Chris

wrote:

[...]

Why can't he just use a stud detector such as sold by homeowner
places and hardware stores?

Straight question.

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair

get a stud finder with an AC line alert. the last thing you want is to
drill a hole right into an AC line, and it may be harder to mount if
you drill into a stud.

Empresser #124457

The best Games