Junior Member

Default Inconsistent freezer

I have an upright Whirlpool freezer. I heard a terrible noise coming from it one day and checked it and it was not freezing. I did nothing (after cleaning out the contents) for about a month and then called a repairman. He turned it on and it cooled perfectly for about 3 weeks and then did the same thing. When I check it the lower back part of the inside of the freezer is frozen with ice but it will eventually thaw. Only after it has turned off and thawed will it work again for about 3 weeks and then the same thing again. Could this be the thermastat?
Posted to alt.home.repair
H H is offline

It sounds like the defrost cycle timer (if it's an older freezer) or the
defrost sensors and/or circuitry (if it's a newer model) are faulty.

On an older model, the defrost timer is mechanical. If it is not
functioning properly, either the coils will pack with ice and will stop
cooling as a result, or the defrost cycle is stuck on "ON".

If it's a newer model, the same could be occurring either with the sensors
or the circuitry.

Get the repairman back and ask him to check the defrost timer (if older) or
circuitry (if newer).

Good luck.

--
sharonw

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

"sharonw" wrote in message

I have an upright Whirlpool freezer. I heard a terrible noise coming
from it one day and checked it and it was not freezing. I did nothing
(after cleaning out the contents) for about a month and then called a
repairman. He turned it on and it cooled perfectly for about 3 weeks
and then did the same thing. When I check it the lower back part of
the inside of the freezer is frozen with ice but it will eventually
thaw. Only after it has turned off and thawed will it work again for
about 3 weeks and then the same thing again. Could this be the
thermastat?

--
sharonw

H is probably right but I would add two things. First, make sure the
seal around the door is good. Second, if it's like that in 2 weeks,
get out a hair dryer and defrost it. That''ll work until the repair
guy gets there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

possibly, or when you are using it you may be covering the vent that
moves air from the freezer to the fridge side. this will cause it to
freeze over as the fridge side is asking for more cool air and it cools
down the freezer side until it all ices up.

Empresser #124457

The best Games