Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Source for hot wire cutter for spray foam insulation

Hello,

So I'm insulating my house myself with 2 part spray polyurethane foam
insulation. I like to overfill the stud cavity slightly and then trim
the foam back flush with the studs. Using a hand saw works but is
fairly laborious and creates a "snow" of fine foam particles.

What I'd like is a 16" wide straight hot wire cutter on a yoke, then I
could run the two sides of the yoke along two adjacent studs and have
the hot wire cut the foam in the stud space flush. Is such a device
commercially available? Obviously I could make one but would prefer
a quicker solution.

Thanks, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

damn hard one, no one sells this thing, everyone tells you how to make
one, but most of them are smaller than the one they used at my brother
in laws last year (that one was about 2 feet across)

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Wayne Whitney wrote:
Hello,

So I'm insulating my house myself with 2 part spray polyurethane foam
insulation. I like to overfill the stud cavity slightly and then trim
the foam back flush with the studs. Using a hand saw works but is
fairly laborious and creates a "snow" of fine foam particles.

What I'd like is a 16" wide straight hot wire cutter on a yoke, then I
could run the two sides of the yoke along two adjacent studs and have
the hot wire cut the foam in the stud space flush. Is such a device
commercially available? Obviously I could make one but would prefer
a quicker solution.

Thanks, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
damn hard one, no one sells this thing, everyone tells you how to make
one, but most of them are smaller than the one they used at my brother
in laws last year (that one was about 2 feet across)

You mean like this?
http://www.kelvin.com/Merchant2/merc..._Code= 840867
or this
http://www.kelvin.com/Merchant2/merc..._Code= 740110
or this
http://www.demandproducts.com/jobcut.html
or this
http://www.hotwiredirect.com/product...e-foam-shaper/

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you don't want to drop a lotta cash, it's easy to make one.

I used wire from an old toaster, old power supply(I only need about 24v to
get it hot enough) and a "bow"

My bow is a 2x2, 3 feet long, on each end there's a rod sticking out
perpendicular about a foot.. the wire is attached to those.

Eezy peezy

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
Hello,

So I'm insulating my house myself with 2 part spray polyurethane foam
insulation. I like to overfill the stud cavity slightly and then trim
the foam back flush with the studs. Using a hand saw works but is
fairly laborious and creates a "snow" of fine foam particles.

What I'd like is a 16" wide straight hot wire cutter on a yoke, then I
could run the two sides of the yoke along two adjacent studs and have
the hot wire cut the foam in the stud space flush. Is such a device
commercially available? Obviously I could make one but would prefer
a quicker solution.

Thanks, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Whitney writes:

Is such a device commercially available?

On eBay you'll find the coathanger type that artists use to freehand sculpt
foam, which resembles what you want to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Whitney wrote:

What I'd like is a 16" wide straight hot wire cutter on a yoke, then I
could run the two sides of the yoke along two adjacent studs and have
the hot wire cut the foam in the stud space flush. Is such a device
commercially available?

Probably, but I made one quickly by bolting 2 3' 1x3s together near
one end to make a large pair of scissors, then putting 2 more screw
eyes near the ends of the long ends, then running 14 ga nichrome wire
between the screw eyes, with alligator clips and 12 ga copper wires
to a variac. You can tension the scissors with a turnbuckle between
the short ends of the scissors, if you like.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
pbs pbs is offline

I think he means like this
http://www.demandproducts.com/bowcuttr.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, I did.

But sh*t, mine didn't cost 278 smackers.. more like 15.

"pbs" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think he means like this
http://www.demandproducts.com/bowcuttr.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2006-09-26, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote:

damn hard one, no one sells this thing, everyone tells you how to make
one, but most of them are smaller than the one they used at my brother
in laws last year (that one was about 2 feet across)

You mean like this?
http://www.kelvin.com/Merchant2/merc..._Code= 840867
or this
http://www.kelvin.com/Merchant2/merc..._Code= 740110
or this
http://www.demandproducts.com/jobcut.html
or this
http://www.hotwiredirect.com/product...e-foam-shaper/

No, those are all hot wire cutters set up with a table, sort of a
bandsaw for foam, you take the foam to the cutter. I need a portable
device I can use to cut the foam overflow in place, flush with the
face of the studs.

I did eventually find one on ebay, item number 5981682489. Now I just
have to figure out if I can get one locally.

Cheers, Wayne

Need advice on power supply circuit for foam cutter BrianS Electronics 1 January 11th 06 02:44 AM
Specific 555 circuit Henry Electronics 8 December 27th 05 05:14 PM
Sources for DIY Spray Foam Insulation Wayne Whitney Home Repair 5 November 8th 05 01:15 AM
hot wire foam cutter Don Foreman Metalworking 2 September 19th 05 10:22 PM
Ceiling Light Problem - No Switch Phil Anderson Home Repair 35 January 26th 04 12:36 PM