Posted to alt.home.repair
Diezmon Diezmon is offline

Default Source for hot wire cutter for spray foam insulation

If you don't want to drop a lotta cash, it's easy to make one.

I used wire from an old toaster, old power supply(I only need about 24v to
get it hot enough) and a "bow"

My bow is a 2x2, 3 feet long, on each end there's a rod sticking out
perpendicular about a foot.. the wire is attached to those.

Eezy peezy

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
Hello,

So I'm insulating my house myself with 2 part spray polyurethane foam
insulation. I like to overfill the stud cavity slightly and then trim
the foam back flush with the studs. Using a hand saw works but is
fairly laborious and creates a "snow" of fine foam particles.

What I'd like is a 16" wide straight hot wire cutter on a yoke, then I
could run the two sides of the yoke along two adjacent studs and have
the hot wire cut the foam in the stud space flush. Is such a device
commercially available? Obviously I could make one but would prefer
a quicker solution.

Thanks, Wayne