Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need some help with a forced hot water heat problem

A contractor had to drain and cut part of my two-zone forced hot water
baseboard heating system to do a bathroom remodel. He said he bled the
lines, purged them of air, then refilled the reserve tank with fresh
cold water.

Upon firing up the gas boiler, the system was loud and the upstairs
zone was extremely slow to heat. He said this was because he couldn't
get all the air out of the upstairs baseboards (said there were no
purge valves) that the water had yet to heat up to the proper
temperature. He suggested we let it sit overnight and try it again.

Today the noises are gone, but there is now no heat in either zone. One
of the two circulation pumps gets quite hot, the other only tepid, but
no heat flows into the baseboards

Any help would be appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Today the noises are gone, but there is now no heat in either zone. One
of the two circulation pumps gets quite hot, the other only tepid, but
no heat flows into the baseboards

Any help would be appreciated!

Probably air bound. Is there a valve (or two) that you can open to drain
the system? Open it slowly and see if you get some air out. Often , it
takes a couple of tries to get it all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
A contractor had to drain and cut part of my two-zone forced hot water
baseboard heating system to do a bathroom remodel. He said he bled the
lines, purged them of air, then refilled the reserve tank with fresh
cold water.

Upon firing up the gas boiler, the system was loud and the upstairs
zone was extremely slow to heat. He said this was because he couldn't
get all the air out of the upstairs baseboards (said there were no
purge valves) that the water had yet to heat up to the proper
temperature. He suggested we let it sit overnight and try it again.

Today the noises are gone, but there is now no heat in either zone. One
of the two circulation pumps gets quite hot, the other only tepid, but
no heat flows into the baseboards

Any help would be appreciated!

There *has* to be a bleed port to let the air out at the high point(s)
of the system. On a ranch house I lived in the bleed valve was on the
furnace because it was the high point. If you have searched every inch
of the lines and can't find one call in a plumber.

I have found that after the initial bleeding of air it is good to run
the system and bleed again and again and again. It just takes time to
get it all out unless the system was installed *perfectly*.

I hope when you said "refilled the reserve tank with fresh cold water"
you weren't talking about the expansion tank. They need to have a
certain amount of air in them.

Was this guy a general contractor who plays a plumber on TV? Hot water
systems can be very tempremental if not handled properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RayV wrote:
I hope when you said "refilled the reserve tank with fresh cold water"
you weren't talking about the expansion tank. They need to have a
certain amount of air in them.

Yes, that is my own ignorance in terminology...I meant that he
re-introduced fresh water into the system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

water going through my hot water system gives of loud sounds of flowing
water through the copper pipes. what causes this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jmilton posted for all of us...

water going through my hot water system gives of loud sounds of flowing
water through the copper pipes. what causes this?

Air in system - google it next time.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.