Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need adhesive advice

I put a small AC into a sliding casement window. Took the screen out,
slid the glass to the left and installed the unit. I made an aluminum
screen to fill in the area above the AC. I then made a plexiglas window
the same size as the screen. I lined the four sides of the screen with
self adhesive magnetic tape. Did the same on the window. It worked
beautifully! A good seal. For about 10 minutes. Then the magnetic tape
started peeling off. Seems the self adhesive isn't that "self
adhesive."
What is a good adhesive to use to put the magnetic tape back on the
screen frame and the plexiglas? The quicker drying, the better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tomkanpa wrote:
I put a small AC into a sliding casement window. Took the screen out,
slid the glass to the left and installed the unit. I made an aluminum
screen to fill in the area above the AC. I then made a plexiglas
window the same size as the screen. I lined the four sides of the
screen with self adhesive magnetic tape. Did the same on the window.
It worked beautifully! A good seal. For about 10 minutes. Then the
magnetic tape started peeling off. Seems the self adhesive isn't that
"self adhesive."
What is a good adhesive to use to put the magnetic tape back on the
screen frame and the plexiglas? The quicker drying, the better.

Did you clean the surface first with something like alcohol to remove all
oils etc.? If not, it may be difficult to get anythin to stick to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The previous poster is right. CLEAN the sucker well first. Acetone is
good, as long as it doesn't harm the paint. As for glue, you want
something flexible. I'd be inclinded to try something like contact
cement -- comes in small tubes. Read the label as to how to use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

double sidded tape, is actualy a good choice here, you can overlap it
without affecting the seal. use a good brand like 3M. and follow the
other posters advice clean is the most important thing.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

professorpaul wrote:
The previous poster is right. CLEAN the sucker well first. Acetone is
good, as long as it doesn't harm the paint. As for glue, you want
something flexible. I'd be inclinded to try something like contact
cement -- comes in small tubes. Read the label as to how to use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pop` wrote:
tomkanpa wrote:

I put a small AC into a sliding casement window. Took the screen out,
slid the glass to the left and installed the unit. I made an aluminum
screen to fill in the area above the AC. I then made a plexiglas
window the same size as the screen. I lined the four sides of the
screen with self adhesive magnetic tape. Did the same on the window.
It worked beautifully! A good seal. For about 10 minutes. Then the
magnetic tape started peeling off. Seems the self adhesive isn't that
"self adhesive."
What is a good adhesive to use to put the magnetic tape back on the
screen frame and the plexiglas? The quicker drying, the better.

Did you clean the surface first with something like alcohol to remove all
oils etc.? If not, it may be difficult to get anythin to stick to it.

I do the same thing but just use foam tucked in. ALso remember to stuff
foam between the two original windows to keep bugs out

Cutback on plywood and new vinyl tile, need advice. statepenn99 Home Repair 1 March 12th 05 05:56 PM
Tile Situation Advice AlexW UK diy 1 March 11th 05 11:48 PM
Where to get advice about old timber framed buildings? Longish Nick UK diy 29 February 2nd 05 02:09 PM
Advice wanted sticking wall tiles to MDF Terry Birch UK diy 3 November 6th 03 02:03 PM