AlexW

Default Tile Situation Advice

This is kind of related to the recent tile removal thread.

About a year ago my missus tiled the bathroom and put a couple of large
tiles above the sink as a splashback. She has now decided that she does
not like the appearance of these tiles and would like them removed and
the area just painted.

They are stuck on with Unibond combined tile adhesive & grout and are
attached to 1/2 inch plasterboard which has been skimmed.

I was wondering what the chances are of getting these off without
ruining the underlying wall board too much?

The added complication is that the sink below the tiles was attached to
the wall by a plumber with a no more nails fixation and an aversion to
screws and plugs. The wall boards are fixed with drywall adhesive onto a
random stone wall.

Thus I am a little nervous about removing the tiles as the sinks'
stability may be compromised (as I don't know where the blobs of drywall
adhesive are behind it).

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA,

Alex
andrewpreece

"AlexW" wrote in message
[...]

Removing tiles from plasterboard without damage is ( I'm willing to be
contradicted
here ) nigh on impossibe, if the tiles are stuck on properly. Try a bolster
chisel or suchlike
but plan to make good the resulting plasterboard damage.

Andy.

Tile hearth advice Matt UK diy 3 February 4th 05 03:37 PM
Having trouble removing old ceramic tile [email protected] Home Ownership 2 January 3rd 05 04:54 PM
Tiling Advice - Any good reason I cant use mortar as Wall Tile Adhesive SledgehammerSteve UK diy 12 December 22nd 03 04:16 PM
ceramic tile on sheet rock question TM Home Repair 21 December 13th 03 06:58 PM
URGENT: A contractor situation -- Recess installation of Tub + "Lawyer?" Blume Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 09:44 PM