Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smelly vacuum cleaner

We have a Hoover cleaner that, after 3 years of use, has started to
smell very bad. We have a dog that sheds a lot. While vacuuming, the
cleaner begins to smell. I have taken it apart and cleaned everything,
put in a new bag, cleaned the filter, etc. It still smells of DOG. Any
ideas other then buying a new vacuum? Chuck B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chuck B." wrote in message
We have a Hoover cleaner that, after 3 years of use, has started to smell
very bad. We have a dog that sheds a lot. While vacuuming, the cleaner
begins to smell. I have taken it apart and cleaned everything, put in a
new bag, cleaned the filter, etc. It still smells of DOG. Any ideas other
then buying a new vacuum? Chuck B.

This isn't much different than what happens with a laundry basket in warm
weather. Clothes contain perspiration, which begins to really stink if it
sits around long enough. Dog hair's the same - it also contains oils from
their skin. At least your clothes are useful, while the dog is not.

Buy a BIG box of baking soda. Put a cup or so into the hose, hold both ends
closed, shake to coat insides, and wait a day. Now, take the vacuum outside,
put in a clean bag, connect the hose, and vacuum a lot of baking soda into
the bag. Wait a day. Take out the bag and wipe down as many internal
surfaces as you can with a mild solution of bleach & water applied with a
DAMP sponge, not dripping water. Let the machine dry thoroughly.

If this doesn't work, you might try one of the powder carpet cleaning
products. I recall seeing one specifically made to get rid of dog stink.
Repeat the procedure above, using the carpet cleaner instead of baking soda.

As far as the dog itself, this will do the job:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...irearms_mp.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck B. wrote:
We have a Hoover cleaner that, after 3 years of use, has started to
smell very bad. We have a dog that sheds a lot. While vacuuming, the
cleaner begins to smell. I have taken it apart and cleaned everything,
put in a new bag, cleaned the filter, etc. It still smells of DOG. Any
ideas other then buying a new vacuum? Chuck B.

Short of getting rid of the dog, you might try some Lysol sprayed into
the cleaner when it is running. See if that may help.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Of course, try new bag and new filter.
Or wash the bag if it is washable.
I remember that smell from many years
ago. Back in the mid 70s, we
got a central vac .... no smell ..... it
all goes outside.