Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good table saw worth it?

Since I'm not a carpenter, but will need to make things out of wood from
time to time (workbench, small repairs to the house, small stuff) is it
worth my money and while to buy a GOOD tablesaw or make due with the
cheapies?

I was looking at the Sears selection, I still find Craftsman to be good
tools, and I noticed they had a nice tablesaw for $500 - cast iron
construction and solid as a rock. But they also had the inexpensive $116
dollar one that is portable and much less sturdy. There are of course
models in between as well.

For someone who isn't going to be using it every day and whose career won't
depend on it, is it still worth my while to spend the dough on a GOOD one?
Obviously I'm not only looking at Craftsman, but I'm just using them as an
example.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
Since I'm not a carpenter, but will need to make things out of wood from
time to time (workbench, small repairs to the house, small stuff) is it
worth my money and while to buy a GOOD tablesaw

Yes.

I started out buying the cheap benchtop saw from sears and it was OK
but I had to return it when the gears gave out. Get the biggest,
heaviest saw you can afford/store. When I got rid of the little one I
got a decent deal on a new contractors saw. If I had it to do over
again I would have shopped around for a good used one. As you said
they are cast iron and built to last.

I was looking at the Sears selection, I still find Craftsman to be good
tools

Be careful with Craftsman tools some of their stuff is still
proprietary and may not accept a miter guage that is not sears. Stay
away from the saws that have the webbed extension wings, designed to
pinch fingers and cause other problems.

Try:
craigslist for used tools
and rec.woodworking for advice on what to look for in a used or new saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Since I'm not a carpenter, but will need to make things out of wood from
time to time (workbench, small repairs to the house, small stuff) is it
worth my money and while to buy a GOOD tablesaw or make due with the
cheapies?

I was looking at the Sears selection, I still find Craftsman to be good
tools, and I noticed they had a nice tablesaw for $500 - cast iron
construction and solid as a rock. But they also had the inexpensive $116
dollar one that is portable and much less sturdy. There are of course
models in between as well.

For someone who isn't going to be using it every day and whose career
won't depend on it, is it still worth my while to spend the dough on a
GOOD one? Obviously I'm not only looking at Craftsman, but I'm just using
them as an example.

Well, it depends. Where is the saw gonna live? 'Real' table saws are pretty
big, and heavy, especially if they have the wings to do accurate panel rips.
Iron tables also don't like damp garages- you have to be very careful about
keeping them cleaned and waxed, or they rust. Are you doing cabinetry, where
the joints have to be perfect? Or are these things where a 'toy' table saw
(or chop saw or compound miter saw) will do the small boards okay, and the
occasional panel cuts can be done 'good enough' with a clamped straightedge
and a good skilsaw? I have seen amazingly good work done with the cheap
portable stuff, and crap done with fancy tools. I once, many years ago, got
to use a industrial table saw where the cast table was 48" square, and the
blade was 12 or 14 inches. That was sweet.

Having said all that- if anvil-solid durability like a working carpenter
needs isn't an issue (as you noted), and you don't have a garage bay or
walkout basement to leave it all set up all the time, I'd go with one of the
small portable saws, but stick with a brand name. Make or buy a good base to
set it on. It should do anything typically needed around the house, maybe
not as easy as a 'real' one, but since you aren't getting paid by the hour,
you can take your time. As you shop, grab an aluminum level and a square off
the rack, carry it over to the power tools, and check the tables for
flatness, and that the plane of the blade is parallel to the slide grooves.
On a real saw, all that is adjustable, on a entry-level portable, maybe not
so much.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The Ryobi has received very good reviews, including Best Value, and I know
at least one carpenter who swears by his. It's cheap, but you'll probably
be very happy with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, I've always felt that the best tools you can buy are always worth it.
But in this case I wonder if I might be going overboard. As aem down a bit
in the thread states the top end stuff require maintenance to keep in top
condition. I actually do have the room for a shop, but at the same time I'm
sitting here thinking that I'm gonna spend 400 bucks on a saw and only use
it once a couple months or so. Or who knows, I might find that now that I
can do quality work I really enjoy doing carpentry and will use it all the
time.

Time to shop around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

all the answers you've gotten have been good ones

I've had a Makita bench top / portable table saw for about 20
years.....

Do I make furnitture with it, no....... but it comes in very handly
quite often

I even used it to make a window sash tenon member to replace a badly
warped one

I'd really lke an old Uni-Saw with a Biesemeyer fence & infeed / out
feed tables (like I had at work in a model shop) but got no room for
such a beast

here's an table saw comparsion article

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/artic... icle&partID=1

I go with a used unit....may be you can find someone whose upgrading to
a big one & take smaller one off his hands

Posted to alt.home.repair

I suggest buying a older Craftsman (can be found for under $100) and
soup it up with some goodies like a Mule fence ($200) and steel pulleys
and link belt ($50) and a good blade ($40) . THEN... you will have a
Real "Mans" Table saw, for less than $400 that will kick ass and be
VERY accurate. This is just the beggining since there are tons of after
market add ons for this type of saw.

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 21:08:32 -0400, "TakenEvent"
wrote:

[...]

Ryobi BT3100

I have one. It's pretty stable and accurate if you set it up and do the
alignments properly. I recommend the "accessory kit" as being very useful. It
even includes the pieces to create a router table on one of the wings.

It is clearly no match for a big multi-thousand dollar saw, but who would expect
that for $400? (add $100 for accessory kit)

CWM

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
Hmmm, I've always felt that the best tools you can buy are always worth
it. But in this case I wonder if I might be going overboard. As aem down
a bit in the thread states the top end stuff require maintenance to keep
in top condition. I actually do have the room for a shop, but at the same
time I'm sitting here thinking that I'm gonna spend 400 bucks on a saw and
only use it once a couple months or so. Or who knows, I might find that
now that I can do quality work I really enjoy doing carpentry and will use
it all the time.

Time to shop around.

About five years ago I decided to try may hand at woodworking. Not knowing
how my talent would be, I bought a cheap saw as you describe. I managed to
build some small projects, mostly doll furniture and the like for my wife
and granddaughters. It was OK, but I soon knew I needed/wanted more.

I bought a Delta contractor saw with the Beisemeyer fence. It was orgasmic
by comparison. Accurate, easy to set up for various cuts, safer for larger
pieces with the 27" table depth. For me, it was money well spent and I gave
the little saw away. One big factor was the inability of the small saw to
safely cross cut a board wider than a 1 x 6.

If you have dreams of doing bigger projects, more frequently, look for a
better saw. Look at the local papers as there are saws listed every week.
Some good, some crappy, some over priced, some a great deal. It may be
possible to find that $900 saw for about $300 in the used section.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

At the end of the day, only you can answer the question "what type of saw to
buy". I started out with a JET contractor's saw and haven't regretted it
for a minute. I've upgraded to an all out cabinet saw now and don't regret
that either. Would I have upgraded if all I was doing was cutting a few
boards every now and again? Probably not. I'm building furniture and
such so the extra weight, size etc... really makes a difference. If I'm
trimming out a window, it's probably a waste. Most say to buy the best you
can the first time and avoid having to "upgrade" later. If you have any
inkling of doing fine woodworking, you may very well want to stick with a
contractor's saw up front but it's certainly not a requirement. Craftsman
has lost a lot of it's reputation over the past few years although some of
their newer saws are getting decent reviews. Another place I'd look is
www.grizzly.com Pretty inexpensive yet they seem to get very good reviews.
You might also check out the Ridgid saws at Home Depot. They get pretty
good reviews as well.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
Since I'm not a carpenter, but will need to make things out of wood
from time to time (workbench, small repairs to the house, small
stuff) is it worth my money and while to buy a GOOD tablesaw or make
due with the cheapies?

I was looking at the Sears selection, I still find Craftsman to be
good tools, and I noticed they had a nice tablesaw for $500 - cast
iron construction and solid as a rock. But they also had the
inexpensive $116 dollar one that is portable and much less sturdy. There
are of course models in between as well.

For someone who isn't going to be using it every day and whose career
won't depend on it, is it still worth my while to spend the dough on
a GOOD one? Obviously I'm not only looking at Craftsman, but I'm just
using them as an example.

Consider a radial arm saw instead. You can't cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood in
half with a radial, but most other table-saw stuff can be done on a radial
with far more accuracy and ease of use (such as changing blades).

You'd be hard-pressed to get the precision necessary on a table saw, for
things like shutters or molding, that is trivial on a radial.

Of course, maybe I'm just partial.

Oh, radials take up, operationally, less room, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
chuckster wrote:
I suggest buying a older Craftsman (can be found for under $100) and
soup it up with some goodies like a Mule fence ($200) and steel pulleys
and link belt ($50) and a good blade ($40) . THEN... you will have a
Real "Mans" Table saw, for less than $400 that will kick ass and be
VERY accurate. This is just the beggining since there are tons of after
market add ons for this type of saw.

Ha Ha! That's a good one!

--
Every complicated problem has a simple solution that doesn't work.

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
lwasserm(@)charm(.)net
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
HeyBub wrote:
...snipped...

Consider a radial arm saw instead. You can't cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood in
half with a radial, but most other table-saw stuff can be done on a radial
with far more accuracy and ease of use (such as changing blades).

You'd be hard-pressed to get the precision necessary on a table saw, for
things like shutters or molding, that is trivial on a radial.

Of course, maybe I'm just partial.

No maybe about it!

--
Every complicated problem has a simple solution that doesn't work.

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
lwasserm(@)charm(.)net
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

When a guy who is handy with tools buys a BIG tool, he will usually learn a
lot of things quickly with it. I say BIG tool to differentiate them from
the likes of screwdrivers and such. By big tools, I refer to table saws,
lathes, welders, routers, jointers, planers, hydraulic bending equipment,
etc, etc. Tools that once you buy them, you learn, and therefore want to
expand the amount and type of work you do, even if you are only doing jobs
for yourself.

You can make all sorts of things that you only thought about making
previously. AND, you can make them easily by yourself, and have them come
out pretty close to right, or dead on perfect. Once you get to making
things, the small differences between a GOOD tool and an average one become
obvious. Then there's the wearout factor. Cheap stuff usually doesn't
last, and if you get to using it a lot, you will end up buying a good one
anyway eventually when you wear out the cheap one. Your skills and
experience grow, so you can do more with the tool. And all you have left
for the worn out tool to do is be a boat anchor.

I bought a cheap Ryobi table saw to do some very simple work I was doing at
my cabin. It was $99. For the work I've done already with it making
shelves and book cases and the things I bought it to do, I figure it has
paid for itself. BUT, I think I wasted $100, because now I want a bigger
better one that will handle bigger pieces of wood easier than the small one,
and now I have to go spend $500, and I have this one that I probably can't
sell for more than $40. I don't know what I was thinking.

I usually seriously overbuy on tools, and I have seldom been wrong. I buy
things I think I will grow into, not what is just marginal to do the job at
the time. That's what I did with the Ryobi. Then I saw, HEY, I can make
all kinds of stuff, but this little saw has serious limitations. Small top,
light motor, inaccurate cut gauge..................

If you think you will do much woodwork at all, you can't go wrong with a
good used saw. I passed on an old Craftsman once for $100 that was about
ten years old, weighed a ton, had a huge top, had a mongo base. If I had
gotten that one, I would have started woodworking earlier, and had a much
better saw. I'd probably still have it today.

If you don't need it right away, I'd shop around for a good used one. That
way, if you don't continue in woodworking, you can break even on it or not
take as serious a beating as you would on a new saw.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TakenEvent" wrote in message

[...]

I have a cheap Ryobi, and my biggest issue is the small top. That limits
cutting sheets of plywood and big pieces of wood by yourself. Oh, I could
make some wings, but more cost to make it into a saw that comes with a
bigger table or wings. It cuts light years ahead of a circular saw, but I
imagine a quality table saw with a big top would be about two light years
ahead of this one. It's done what I asked, but it has limits that I am
already finding. And I'm a newbie.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 17:22:34 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Since I'm not a carpenter, but will need to make things out of wood from
time to time (workbench, small repairs to the house, small stuff) is it
worth my money and while to buy a GOOD tablesaw or make due with the
cheapies?

I was looking at the Sears selection, I still find Craftsman to be good
tools, and I noticed they had a nice tablesaw for $500 - cast iron
construction and solid as a rock. But they also had the inexpensive $116
dollar one that is portable and much less sturdy. There are of course
models in between as well.

For someone who isn't going to be using it every day and whose career won't
depend on it, is it still worth my while to spend the dough on a GOOD one?
Obviously I'm not only looking at Craftsman, but I'm just using them as an
example.

Remember--You get what you pay for. If all you have is $500 I suggest
looking for a quality used saw. Look for a large flat cast iron
surface, precision fence, dust control, easy adjustments. If
portability is what you need I suggest a good circular saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have never gone cheap on power tools unless I was in a pinch and
couldn't get porter cable when I needed it, then I got the cheapest
thing that would do the job. on the table saw side, I don't have one,
because my father gave me a craftsman radial arm saw about ten years
ago, and the thing is incredible. still solid as a rock and I have
every option that you can get with it so I can use it as a drill press,
amoungst other things.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Eigenvector wrote:
Since I'm not a carpenter, but will need to make things out of wood from
time to time (workbench, small repairs to the house, small stuff) is it
worth my money and while to buy a GOOD tablesaw or make due with the
cheapies?

I was looking at the Sears selection, I still find Craftsman to be good
tools, and I noticed they had a nice tablesaw for $500 - cast iron
construction and solid as a rock. But they also had the inexpensive $116
dollar one that is portable and much less sturdy. There are of course
models in between as well.

For someone who isn't going to be using it every day and whose career won't
depend on it, is it still worth my while to spend the dough on a GOOD one?
Obviously I'm not only looking at Craftsman, but I'm just using them as an
example.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:

... Or who knows, I might find that now that I
can do quality work I really enjoy doing carpentry and will use it all the
time.

That is what happened to me but of course YMMV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
Since I'm not a carpenter, but will need to make things out of wood from
time to time (workbench, small repairs to the house, small stuff) is it
worth my money and while to buy a GOOD tablesaw or make due with the
cheapies?

If you have a project which required a tablesaw then that is a reason
to buy one. Tablesaws are the most versatile tool in the shop but
there is only one task they excel at, ripping long boards. Is this a
task your project requires? I have a lightwieght contractor style saw
that i use for rips and dados. I often find myself, however, doing
long rips with my circular saw and a chalk line. This is often more
convenient than lugging the board to the saw or the saw to the board.
A circular saw and router will to all the same work as a table saw and
are a lot more convenient. If you don't already have these then i
would say buy them first. If you do have them then just try a few
rips and dados with them before buyin a table say. A high quality
skilsaw is without question, indespensible and worthe the money. I
make rips with a worm drive saw and I highly reccomend you buy one
before you get a table saw. Amazon has them marked way down. Skil
HD77M MAG 77 7-1/4" Wormdrive Circular Saw

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/Skil-HD77M-7-1...047257?ie=UTF8

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 01:01:56 GMT, wrote:

[...]

I agree with all the comments about getting the best tool within one's
budget, etc. There is one more issue that if I were to do it all over
again I would go the air tools way for the rest of the hand tools that
a handyman will eventually acquire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

I'll be buying the Bosch before too much longer, so that's really the
recommendation I would make. But if the OP wants a decent cheap saw to use
for occasional home repairs or projects, the Ryobi should work fine. If the
plan is to cut a lot of sheathing, yes, a bigger saw would be nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

Actually having read through everyone's helpful suggestions I'm wondering if
I should skip the tablesaw and head straight for the compound mitre saw.
I'll be cutting far for 2x4's, 2x2's, and other such stuff before I rip long
panels or boards.

besides, the action on the mitre saw is just soooo cool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote
Actually having read through everyone's helpful suggestions I'm wondering
if I should skip the tablesaw and head straight for the compound mitre
saw. I'll be cutting far for 2x4's, 2x2's, and other such stuff before I
rip long panels or boards.

besides, the action on the mitre saw is just soooo cool.

What's wrong with getting them BOTH? I bet you lunch you will end up with
both within a year anyway. That one-two combination is sweet.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

Actually having read through everyone's helpful suggestions I'm wondering
if I should skip the tablesaw and head straight for the compound mitre
saw. I'll be cutting far for 2x4's, 2x2's, and other such stuff before I
rip long panels or boards.

besides, the action on the mitre saw is just soooo cool.

If that is the primary use, yes. go for it. Cutting a few inches off the
end of a 2 x 4 is not easy on a table saw, piece of cake on the miter saw.
If it is mainly framing type of work, the low end ones will work fine. If
you want one of the best, get a DeWalt and it will last a lifetime.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I, for one, would spend the money, if I had it. For now, I have bought a
used Ryobi mid-grade saw, and will upgrade later when I can afford it.
The problems with all cheap saws, and most mid-grade, are cast aluminum
tables and the use of universal motors, which makes them loud and gives
them less torque. AFAIK, there are no direct drive saws equiped with
induction motors. My Ryobi is nice, with a cast iron table, but steel
extensions, and it is direct drive, and loud as hell. My grandfather's
Craftsman (my brother-in-law gave it away, don't ask!) was 45 years old,
table and one extension cast iron, the other sliding steel, belt drive,
induction motor, and the only noise it made was the ringing sing of the
blade itself. Damn I miss that saw.

Eigenvector wrote:
Since I'm not a carpenter, but will need to make things out of wood from
time to time (workbench, small repairs to the house, small stuff) is it
worth my money and while to buy a GOOD tablesaw or make due with the
cheapies?

I was looking at the Sears selection, I still find Craftsman to be good
tools, and I noticed they had a nice tablesaw for $500 - cast iron
construction and solid as a rock. But they also had the inexpensive $116
dollar one that is portable and much less sturdy. There are of course
models in between as well.

For someone who isn't going to be using it every day and whose career won't
depend on it, is it still worth my while to spend the dough on a GOOD one?
Obviously I'm not only looking at Craftsman, but I'm just using them as an
example.

Posted to alt.home.repair

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
[...]

From what I've seen at the Depot, and at Sears recently, they are both
being made by the same company, probably Emerson Electric. That was one
of the vendors Sears used when I worked there, and they made all of the
better and "best" versions at that time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A friend of mine lost his job last year. He bought a $150 portable Ryobi
table saw plus he already had the other tools of the trade. He does light
remodeling with it. Is making great money. No boss. Can work as often as
he wants. Or as little as he wants. The table saw is still going strong,
but of course, he's pretty easy on tools. Some people are rough with tools
and they thus break more often.

But a more pricier table saw is easier to use. I'd spend the $500 on the
better unit, if I were you, and if you can afford it. You'll be more apt
to want to build larger, more complicated pieces with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
Since I'm not a carpenter, but will need to make things out of wood from
time to time (workbench, small repairs to the house, small stuff) is it
worth my money and while to buy a GOOD tablesaw or make due with the
cheapies?

I was looking at the Sears selection, I still find Craftsman to be good
tools, and I noticed they had a nice tablesaw for $500 - cast iron
construction and solid as a rock. But they also had the inexpensive $116
dollar one that is portable and much less sturdy. There are of course
models in between as well.

For someone who isn't going to be using it every day and whose career
won't depend on it, is it still worth my while to spend the dough on a
GOOD one? Obviously I'm not only looking at Craftsman, but I'm just using
them as an example.

An in-between saw that got a good review in Wood magazine ( I think) was a
Ridgid 2420 or something close to that. It came with a collapsable stand
too. It received surpringly good reviews for its size. They really liked
Ridgids 3650, which I own and really like a lot. The 3650 come with a built
in caster system for moving the saw about your shop - great for those of us
working in a confined space.