Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Default Will palm nailer work on finish nails?

I'm looking for a good muti-purpose air nailer, which I'd only use for
occassional products. I'd rather have one nailer that I can use for
different projects, rather than buy a separate framing nailer, a separate
finish nailer, etc.

I'm considering buying this Bostich Palm Nailer
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...mpanynewslette) which
is on sale today for $39 today (regularly $100). However, the description
doesn't say if it will work with finish nails.

Anyone have experience using this or other palm nailers with finish nails?
Will it put indentations in the wood if, for instance, you're pounding
finish nails into the frame of a new window?

Any other advice on how well a palm nailer works for a variety of projects,
and with a variety of nail types, would be appreciated!

--
DK

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DK" wrote in message ...
I'm looking for a good muti-purpose air nailer, which I'd only use for
occassional products. I'd rather have one nailer that I can use for
different projects, rather than buy a separate framing nailer, a separate
finish nailer, etc.

I'm considering buying this Bostich Palm Nailer
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...mpanynewslette) which
is on sale today for $39 today (regularly $100). However, the description
doesn't say if it will work with finish nails.

If it does not say, I doubt that it will. The nailing requirements for
framing and finishing are so different, it would be a difficult compromise
to do both reasonably well.

This is about as close is you will come.
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-51-941...1?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Posted to alt.home.repair

DK wrote:
I'm looking for a good muti-purpose air nailer, which I'd only use for
occassional products. I'd rather have one nailer that I can use for
different projects, rather than buy a separate framing nailer, a separate
finish nailer, etc.

I'm considering buying this Bostich Palm Nailer
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...mpanynewslette) which
is on sale today for $39 today (regularly $100). However, the description
doesn't say if it will work with finish nails.

Anyone have experience using this or other palm nailers with finish nails?
Will it put indentations in the wood if, for instance, you're pounding
finish nails into the frame of a new window?

Any other advice on how well a palm nailer works for a variety of projects,
and with a variety of nail types, would be appreciated!

--
DK

I have owned a palm nailer, and if i remember right, it came with a
finish tip that i never used. however, the only use IMO for one is for
nailing in those situations where you don't have room to swing your
hammer, like nailing joist hangar nails into the side of joists for
example. i was on a job where we had to put tension straps on joists
with a million 10 d nails each, and a lot of people would try the palm
nailer, but noone stuck with it. they are noisy and sort of irritating
to use. I can't imagine using one on finish work. just as fast and
more pleasant to swat nails in with your hammer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Anyone have experience using this or other palm nailers with finish nails?
Will it put indentations in the wood if, for instance, you're pounding
finish nails into the frame of a new window?

I haven't used the finish nail tip that came with my Harbor Freight palm
nailer. But I used it to put in a few hundred joist hangers. If you don't stop
pressing when the nail head contacts the metal hanger, it will freakin pop the
head right off a 16 penny nail and drive the remainder in until the heavy metal
plate is dented about as far as you want it to be.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

DT spake thus:

Anyone have experience using this or other palm nailers with finish nails?
Will it put indentations in the wood if, for instance, you're pounding
finish nails into the frame of a new window?

I haven't used the finish nail tip that came with my Harbor Freight palm
nailer. But I used it to put in a few hundred joist hangers. If you don't stop
pressing when the nail head contacts the metal hanger, it will freakin pop the
head right off a 16 penny nail and drive the remainder in until the heavy metal
plate is dented about as far as you want it to be.

Doesn't that hurt your hand?

--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli peace activist
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery09022006.html)

Posted to alt.home.repair

DK writes:

Anyone have experience using this or other palm nailers with finish
nails?

I've used one for framing. I can't see how it could possibly handle finish
nails. Your trim would be pecked all over by it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Even if it could a finish nailer may be worth the investment because of the
number of nails you need to put in usually and will be more accurate - just
hold the tip to the nail spot and fire. I love my Porter Cable.

Steve

"DK" wrote in message ...
I'm looking for a good muti-purpose air nailer, which I'd only use for
occassional products. I'd rather have one nailer that I can use for
different projects, rather than buy a separate framing nailer, a separate
finish nailer, etc.

I'm considering buying this Bostich Palm Nailer
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...mpanynewslette) which
is on sale today for $39 today (regularly $100). However, the description
doesn't say if it will work with finish nails.

Anyone have experience using this or other palm nailers with finish nails?
Will it put indentations in the wood if, for instance, you're pounding
finish nails into the frame of a new window?

Any other advice on how well a palm nailer works for a variety of
projects, and with a variety of nail types, would be appreciated!

--
DK

Posted to alt.home.repair

Right tool for the job, a palm nailer is not a finish nailer, and won't
be as easy to use for finish nails.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

DK wrote:
I'm looking for a good muti-purpose air nailer, which I'd only use for
occassional products. I'd rather have one nailer that I can use for
different projects, rather than buy a separate framing nailer, a separate
finish nailer, etc.

I'm considering buying this Bostich Palm Nailer
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...mpanynewslette) which
is on sale today for $39 today (regularly $100). However, the description
doesn't say if it will work with finish nails.

Anyone have experience using this or other palm nailers with finish nails?
Will it put indentations in the wood if, for instance, you're pounding
finish nails into the frame of a new window?

Any other advice on how well a palm nailer works for a variety of projects,
and with a variety of nail types, would be appreciated!

--
DK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:09:08 -0500, "DK" wrote:

I'm looking for a good muti-purpose air nailer, which I'd only use for
occassional products. I'd rather have one nailer that I can use for
different projects, rather than buy a separate framing nailer, a separate
finish nailer, etc.

I'm considering buying this Bostich Palm Nailer
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...mpanynewslette) which
is on sale today for $39 today (regularly $100). However, the description
doesn't say if it will work with finish nails.

Anyone have experience using this or other palm nailers with finish nails?
Will it put indentations in the wood if, for instance, you're pounding
finish nails into the frame of a new window?

Any other advice on how well a palm nailer works for a variety of projects,
and with a variety of nail types, would be appreciated!

imho:

Only time I've seen a palm nailer used, is when the area around the
nail didn't allow for a regular nail gun, or a manual hammer. So it
doesn't seem like a one-size-for-all solution.

As for finish nailer, finish nails should be hammered below the
surface of the wood, so it can be made almost invisible with wood
putty. A palm nailer has a big head, and once the nail head gets
close to the surface, the head migh beat up on the wood.

Now don't take this post as fact, go check one out at your local hard
ware store.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info