Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lawn care question

I recently removed 2 good sized pine trees from my lawn, that have
filled the front lawn to about 1/2" with thatch. I'm planning ion
thatching the lawn, but don't know the best time to do it. Obviously
before the ground freezes, but should I do it now or wait a little
longer, I will need to plant seed afterward.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently removed 2 good sized pine trees from my lawn, that have
filled the front lawn to about 1/2" with thatch. I'm planning ion
thatching the lawn, but don't know the best time to do it. Obviously
before the ground freezes, but should I do it now or wait a little
longer, I will need to plant seed afterward.

Any idea where you live? That's useful info for a question like this.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

I recently removed 2 good sized pine trees from my lawn, that have
filled the front lawn to about 1/2" with thatch. I'm planning ion
thatching the lawn, but don't know the best time to do it. Obviously
before the ground freezes, but should I do it now or wait a little
longer, I will need to plant seed afterward.

I would also suggest that you lime the area heavy prior to planting the
seed. Pine trees tend to live in an a acidic (SP?) soil. If you live
in the north east, then now is a great time to seed......

Paul

Yeah to all of the previous; grass seed needs to be in contact with the
soil to germinate, and evergreens drive the ground to be more acidic.
Lime now to allow it to "sweeten" as they say during the winter. You
can use powdered lime in a dump spreader, or pelleted lime in a rotary
spreader (which would make powdered lime turn into a vast fog all over
the neighborhood). But don't try to use crushed lime which is sometime
sold for rotary spreading, it will not dissolve into the soil within
your lifetime. The pelleted stuff is actually lumps of powdered lime in
a water soluble adhesive, works much better. Lots of folks routinely
just put down 1 bag per 1,000 sq feet every year, others are horrified
and insist you should have the soil tested for pH and follow the
recommendations. I have the soil tested every year, (see my recent post
re the CT ag station, who do soil testing for free), and...... they
recommend every single year that I put down 1 bag of lime per 1,000 sq.
feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Raking is good for you, unless you create a fake reality in your own head
which says it's NOT good for you.

wrote in message
ups.com...
thats the generl idea, in the Scotts lawn care manual they are calling
anything like undecompsed grass clippings, and pine needles "thatch"

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I recently removed 2 good sized pine trees from my lawn, that have
filled the front lawn to about 1/2" with thatch. I'm planning ion
thatching the lawn, but don't know the best time to do it. Obviously
before the ground freezes, but should I do it now or wait a little
longer, I will need to plant seed afterward.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Pine trees filled lawn with thatch???
Joseph Meehan

Maybe she's referring to the skinny twigs pine trees toss on the ground,
many of which seem to stick like glue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
thats the generl idea, in the Scotts lawn care manual they are calling
anything like undecompsed grass clippings, and pine needles "thatch"

That is what I suspected. Those needles will last for many years and
they will prevent grass growth so they should be removed. Raking works well.

Thatch is s very specific condition and calls for a specific correction.
However far too many lawn services are calling a lot of other things by the
same name. Around here I would say that almost all de-thatching done is not
needed nor is it removing thatch, rather it removes good organic material
and is doing more harm than good. I don't know about your situation.

Since you did not tell us where you live I can only suggest that it is a
little early around where I am to seed, but it is close. In fact if the
cool weather of the last week or so is any sign, this year is going to be an
early fall and I would be getting ready. I am getting ready for my fall
lawn care a little early.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:
thats the generl idea, in the Scotts lawn care manual they are calling
anything like undecompsed grass clippings, and pine needles "thatch"

That is what I suspected. Those needles will last for many years and
they will prevent grass growth so they should be removed. Raking works well.

Thatch is s very specific condition and calls for a specific correction.
However far too many lawn services are calling a lot of other things by the
same name. Around here I would say that almost all de-thatching done is not
needed nor is it removing thatch, rather it removes good organic material
and is doing more harm than good. I don't know about your situation.

I agree. People obsess about thatch without really understanding
exactly what it is. Many think it comes mostly from grass clipplings,
which it doesn't. The main source is stems and stolens that are far
more resistant to decay than clipplings, which break down quickly.
And many go around tearing up their lawns to try to eliminae it with
out even knowing how much they really have. If you cut out a piece of
turf and look at it sideways, you will see a top layer of dense brown
matterial between the soil and the grass. About a 1/2 inch is normal
and beneficial. If it's more than that, then it warrants action.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I recently removed 2 good sized pine trees from my lawn, that have
filled the front lawn to about 1/2" with thatch. I'm planning ion
thatching the lawn, but don't know the best time to do it.
Obviously before the ground freezes, but should I do it now or
wait a little longer, I will need to plant seed afterward.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Pine trees filled lawn with thatch???
Joseph Meehan

Maybe she's referring to the skinny twigs pine trees toss on the
ground, many of which seem to stick like glue.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Top 10 Lawn and Garden Care Tips Tips4Life Home Repair 0 July 21st 06 04:21 PM
Lawn care question 46erjoe Home Repair 7 May 22nd 06 02:20 PM
Question on Lawn Mower with Briggs Engine [email protected] Home Repair 8 May 7th 06 08:48 PM
LAWN CARE Forza Azzurri Home Repair 19 October 16th 04 04:02 PM