Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any concrete experts? (Different Q)

The other day I noticed a small hole (2" maybe) right in the middle of the
concrete driveway. Concrete around it is in good shape. Funny though.
Concrete appears to be somewhat thin because dirt appears to be where the
hole is. Maybe ****-poor high spot when originally done many many years
ago.

I know I need to do something because the surface water when it rains is
gonna make it get bigger at an accelerated rate now. Why the hole appears
is another separate issue of course.

Should I dig out dirt with like a screwdriver down a few inches and fill it
with concrete? I know concrete would be better but what about mortar mix. I
have a partial bag of that laying around. Could toss in some small stones.

Yea I know. I could start digging out those few inches and find there is a
bottom of the iceberg hole underneath. I'll have to tap around the hole to
see what it sounds like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote

[...]

It sounds as if, it was a grade stake, which wasn't pounded down before
screeding, though some pound it down after screeding. You probably had a
thin layer of concrete over top, the stake rotted, and the thin layer
busted apart leaving a hole.

To fix it, you'll have to get other advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

Probably a bubble in the concrete when they poured it. I have one in my
sidewalk that's been there for 20 years and it has never gotten bigger.
If you live where you have winter freezing, I'd be concerned with water
getting in the hole, freezing, & cracking the concrete. I'd fill it
with anything to keep the water out & forget it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
Should I dig out dirt with like a screwdriver down a few inches and fill
it
with concrete? I know concrete would be better but what about mortar mix.
have a partial bag of that laying around. Could toss in some small stones.

Yea I know. I could start digging out those few inches and find there is a
bottom of the iceberg hole underneath. I'll have to tap around the hole to
see what it sounds like.

mortar mix, with out without small stones tossed in, or concrete should
work, you might want to undercut around the edge of the hole a little so
when you patch the hole it will stay in place better

for illustration:

hole undercut hole not undercut
------ ------- -------- --------
/ \ | |
/ \ | |
/ \ | |
------------ ------

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

If your mortar mix has been laying around, it might have gone bad.
Make up a small test batch first to make sure it sets up well.

My big box store sells 10-lb baglets of concrete and mortar mix for ~
$2.

I use latex-modified concrete whenever possible. It makes small
repairs much more durable. The bottled -latex has a good shelf life
so you can keep it around for next year's projects. I have a six
year old bottle which still does the job.

Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

Hydraulic cement would be the best choice. It expands as it sets so it
will really lock into the hole (clean the edges like you're going to
eat off of them), and the stuff is waterproof. It won't match the
existing driveway concrete, but neither will anything else you do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nowforsale" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the reply and Steven Spielberg graphics:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
ups.com:

Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply. I got the mortar mix less than a month ago. It
should be good if I choose to go that route.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in
oups.com:

Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

Makes sense.

(clean the edges like you're going
to eat off of them),

May not be clean enough. Have chowed a sandwich with portland cement dust
on me and around. Hopefully it only causes cancer in California. I'm not
in CA :-)

and the stuff is waterproof. It won't match the
existing driveway concrete, but neither will anything else you do.

Kinda hard to mix up time as an ingredient.

Thanks for the reply...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:

and the stuff is waterproof. It won't match the
existing driveway concrete, but neither will anything else you do.

Being a driveway, carefully placed oil drips will do the job of
camouflage in no time at all.

--
Silly sig to prevent isp ad

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Hines wrote in
news
Al Bundy wrote:

and the stuff is waterproof. It won't match the
existing driveway concrete, but neither will anything else you do.

Being a driveway, carefully placed oil drips will do the job of
camouflage in no time at all.

--
Silly sig to prevent isp ad

Sounds like a real HUD Hacker trick. Nice one though:-)