Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Any concrete experts? (Different Q)

Al Bundy wrote:
The other day I noticed a small hole (2" maybe) right in the middle of the
concrete driveway. Concrete around it is in good shape. Funny though.
Concrete appears to be somewhat thin because dirt appears to be where the
hole is. Maybe ****-poor high spot when originally done many many years
ago.

I know I need to do something because the surface water when it rains is
gonna make it get bigger at an accelerated rate now. Why the hole appears
is another separate issue of course.

Should I dig out dirt with like a screwdriver down a few inches and fill it
with concrete? I know concrete would be better but what about mortar mix. I
have a partial bag of that laying around. Could toss in some small stones.

Yea I know. I could start digging out those few inches and find there is a
bottom of the iceberg hole underneath. I'll have to tap around the hole to
see what it sounds like.

Hydraulic cement would be the best choice. It expands as it sets so it
will really lock into the hole (clean the edges like you're going to
eat off of them), and the stuff is waterproof. It won't match the
existing driveway concrete, but neither will anything else you do.