Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shutter installer broke my bathroom tiles?

OK this is going to sound strange...

Last week I had someone here to install accordian shutters on my windows and
doors. The house is a single story concrete block stucco structure.

One of the windows is a bathroom window. Inside is a tiled shower from floor
to ceiling.

After the shutter installation, I did not notice anything. Now three days
later, a crack across the wall tiles begin to develop below the window
(about an inch below the window sill - horizontally). Along one edge is
also a vertical crack from bottom of window to about a foot above the floor.

I have a feeling these cracks were from them installing the shutters...is it
possible? Could they have drilled or used heavy duty tools to install the
shutters that might have damaged tiles on the other side of the concrete
block wall? If I have to retile that wall I have to redo the entire shower
and shower pan!

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

miamicuse wrote:
[...]

How wide are the cracks? hairline? pencil tip width? dime thickness?

What kind of fastener did they use to install the shutters to the
block?

Are there any similar cracks in the wall outside?

My WAG would be thye used a pound in wedge anchor (I hate those things)
rather than a chemical (epoxy) anchor.

check for cracks outside & determine anchor type

here's another WAG

I'd fill the shower side cracks with a slow set epoxy & then remove the
shutters....maybe the crack will close when the anchor is removed and
the epoxy will fix the crack for good

if the cracks don't close....... wipe the epoxy out of the crack &
replace with a flexible chaulk when the epoxy residue is cured

are your blocks hollow or fully grouted?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...

miamicuse wrote:
[...]

The cracks are hairline for the most part. Except at the location direction
below the sill where the grout line cracked there the width is about dim
thickness.

What kind of fastener did they use to install the shutters to the
block?

They are all hex head screws. I called them and they told me they used
masonry drills (probably hammer drills) and no compressed air guns were
used.

Are there any similar cracks in the wall outside?

Nope, no cracks on the outside wall at all.

My WAG would be thye used a pound in wedge anchor (I hate those things)
rather than a chemical (epoxy) anchor.

check for cracks outside & determine anchor type

here's another WAG

I'd fill the shower side cracks with a slow set epoxy & then remove the
shutters....maybe the crack will close when the anchor is removed and
the epoxy will fix the crack for good

if the cracks don't close....... wipe the epoxy out of the crack &
replace with a flexible chaulk when the epoxy residue is cured

are your blocks hollow or fully grouted?

My blocks are hollow I believe. I have previously drilled the exterior wall
and the resistance was only about on inch or so then no resistance so I
suspect it must be hollow.

cheers
Bob

What do contractors do when they have to go to the bathroom? Larry Bud Home Repair 8 August 8th 06 05:31 PM
MDF bath panel behind tiles was getting wet - shuould I be worried? David Smithz UK diy 10 August 4th 06 10:01 PM
Painting bathroom tiles Em Tee UK diy 3 January 2nd 06 12:45 PM
Tiling bathroom floor Tom W UK diy 2 April 8th 05 09:49 AM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM