Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,alt.pets.rodents.rats

Default Rats in the ceiling - repelling?

Is there a way to repel rats from inside your ceiling space? I have
heard that possums dislike naphthalene and camphor. Is there anything
that rats dislike? I am definitely not putting rat poison in the
ceiling, so the little critters die in some hard-to-reach wall cavity,
and then perfume the whole house.

Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,alt.pets.rodents.rats

wrote in message
ups.com...
| Is there a way to repel rats from inside your ceiling space? I have
| heard that possums dislike naphthalene and camphor. Is there anything
| that rats dislike? I am definitely not putting rat poison in the
| ceiling, so the little critters die in some hard-to-reach wall cavity,
| and then perfume the whole house.

trap them:

http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cri...tters_rats.asp

often you can also borrow these traps from your local public works office.

Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,alt.pets.rodents.rats

wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there a way to repel rats from inside your ceiling space? I have
heard that possums dislike naphthalene and camphor. Is there anything
that rats dislike? I am definitely not putting rat poison in the
ceiling, so the little critters die in some hard-to-reach wall cavity,
and then perfume the whole house.

I hear they are particularly averse to cats. Poison free and the cat gets a
free meal and entertainment to boot!

Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,alt.pets.rodents.rats

wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there a way to repel rats from inside your ceiling space? I have
heard that possums dislike naphthalene and camphor. Is there anything
that rats dislike? I am definitely not putting rat poison in the
ceiling, so the little critters die in some hard-to-reach wall cavity,
and then perfume the whole house.

Man, I gotta get new glasses- when I first read the title for this thread, I
got an instant visual flash of a bunch of rats doing a Special Forces style
rope descent from the air grates and light fixtures, down to the sleeping
human population below......

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Figaro wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
| Is there a way to repel rats from inside your ceiling space? I have
| heard that possums dislike naphthalene and camphor. Is there anything
| that rats dislike? I am definitely not putting rat poison in the
| ceiling, so the little critters die in some hard-to-reach wall cavity,
| and then perfume the whole house.

trap them:

http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cri...tters_rats.asp

often you can also borrow these traps from your local public works office.

I guess you are serious? Humane treatment of rats?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you sure its rats, Ive had Flying Squirrels running in my ceilings
and walls as they go out at night, Mothballs in a sock with a string
attached for later retrieval, and a large bucket of amonia in my attic
made them leave, finding and sealing their holes fixed it. Gee Twice I
had them in the house and caught them alive, One just sat on my
fireplace 3ft away from me, they are tame and not scared of humans as
they never see us, they are nocturnal and common in many areas. It
could also be squirrels or chipmunks, Rats are usualy not in ceilings
running around, flying squirells are. You need to find their entrance,
seal it only after you evict them.

Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,alt.pets.rodents.rats

wrote:
On 9 Sep 2006 18:14:17 -0700,
wrote:

Is there a way to repel rats from inside your ceiling space? I have
heard that possums dislike naphthalene and camphor. Is there anything
that rats dislike? I am definitely not putting rat poison in the
ceiling, so the little critters die in some hard-to-reach wall
cavity, and then perfume the whole house.

If you don't find and repair the hole they are using you are wasting
your time. Then trap them out. These "cat" answers are from people who
don't really want to get rid of the rats. They just want an excuse
fior a cat. A cat may catch a few but it won't ever get them all. Rats
can go where a cat can't and they evolved to survive.

You may be right. But:

"Born on April 21 1963, Towser lived at Glenturret Distillery for almost 24
years and caught a total of 28,899 mice (pity the person who kept score!)
plus an uncounted number of rats, rabbits and pheasants in her life. Her
tally of mice earned her a place in the Guinness Book of Records as the
World Mouse-catching Champion."

Now had I been Towser's, uh, "supervisor," I would have hired a helper! But
at an average of 3.5 mice/day, she had to have been making a dent.

Further, if, as you say, rats evolved to survive, it would eventually dawn
on them that a monster lurks in this house and move on. The fact this
thought didn't occur to the mice at Glenturret is no doubt because they were
stupid Scottish mice.

Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,alt.pets.rodents.rats

I was gonna ask if they had safety gear, and load rated caribeaners.
Glad I wasn't the only one who had that line of thought.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message

Man, I gotta get new glasses- when I first read the title for this
thread, I
got an instant visual flash of a bunch of rats doing a Special Forces
style
rope descent from the air grates and light fixtures, down to the
sleeping
human population below......

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just like humane treatment of plane bombers from 9/11?

I thought the spring traps sounded like the best idea. If you use
havahart traps, please extinguish the rats with auto exhaust before
releasing them.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Norminn" wrote in message
nk.net...

http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cri...tters_rats.asp

often you can also borrow these traps from your local public works

office.

I guess you are serious? Humane treatment of rats?

Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,alt.pets.rodents.rats

Poisoning the little critters is the way to go. Get a rat poison that
dehydrates the rat causing death and they will leave in search of water. If
one should die on your property it won't smell because it will be
dehydrated. Good luck.

oups.com...

wrote:
Is there a way to repel rats from inside your ceiling space? I have
heard that possums dislike naphthalene and camphor. Is there anything
that rats dislike? I am definitely not putting rat poison in the
ceiling, so the little critters die in some hard-to-reach wall cavity,
and then perfume the whole house.

Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,alt.pets.rodents.rats

Poison is the most effective. Traps are available for those who
object. Live traps sound like your preferred option.

Poison is not the most effective. Rats and mice will both gather
poison bait and horde it. You may think that since all the poison is
gone that the problem is solved, but its not. It could be quite some
time before the poison is actually eaten. Also - most poison is an
anti-coagulant. This means that the rodent will "bleed-out". However,
the antidote is vitamin-k... which is very high in dog food.

The most effective way is to find how the rats are getting in to the
house and BLOCK THE ENTRANCES!

Do this by using hardware cloth (available at most hardware stores),
copper (not steel) wool, construction adhesive, concrete anchors and
medium gauge wire. A staple gun may come in handy too.

Then all you have to do is set the traps to catch what is trapped
inside. Once the ones inside are caught -poof- the problem is solved.
Just go back and check the "rodent exclusion" twice a year and repair
it as necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.pets.rodents.rats

On 14-Sep-2006, "Remi" wrote:

Rat Attack is a non-warfarin rat poison that will dehydrate rats

Do you have a link to a site with a label or a MSDS sheet on it because I
can't find one anywhere?

--
I wish you all the best
Tim Wise

www.onepest.com
www.askourpros.com
Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,alt.pets.rodents.rats

With all due respect, there is no such product. Most rodenticides work by
thinning the blood and creating heart failure. The dehydration theory is a
wive's tale.
"Remi" wrote in message
Poisoning the little critters is the way to go. Get a rat poison that
dehydrates the rat causing death and they will leave in search of water.
If one should die on your property it won't smell because it will be
dehydrated. Good luck.

oups.com...

wrote:
Is there a way to repel rats from inside your ceiling space? I have
heard that possums dislike naphthalene and camphor. Is there anything
that rats dislike? I am definitely not putting rat poison in the
ceiling, so the little critters die in some hard-to-reach wall cavity,
and then perfume the whole house.

Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,alt.pets.rodents.rats

Kudos! You really know your stuff.

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article l1iOg.541235$iF6.222621@pd7tw2no,
says...
Rat Attack is a non-warfarin rat poison that will dehydrate rats.

"shawn" wrote in message

Never heard of it..curious to what the active ingredient is. Mice are
one of the few animals that can live their life without drinking water
so a rodent bait to make rodents go for a drink wouldn't be an answer in
many cases.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS

Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,alt.pets.rodents.rats

Glenda wrote:
The dehydration theory is a wive's tale.

The dehydration theory is a nice example of what happens when people who
don't know try to explain something they observe:

The normal MOA of the normal anticoagulant rodenticide is that due to
the suppressed coagulation internal hemorrhages don't stop, the poisoned
animal bleeds profusely into guts and joints.

Fact 1 : the blood is no longer concentrated inside the blood vessels
but dispersed throughout the body

Fact 2 : Blood is moisture

Fact 3 : With reference to their individual mass rodents have a HUGE
body surface

What happens? Usually they dry out before bacteria can start their job
to decompose them. Effect: no smell.

Cheers, Uli

--
Antworten bitte an: pcoATgmxDOTnet oder in der NG
reply to pcoATgmxDOTnet or to the ng, please
Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,alt.pets.rodents.rats

"Uli Lachmuth" wrote in message
Glenda wrote:
The dehydration theory is a wive's tale.

The dehydration theory is a nice example of what happens when people who
don't know try to explain something they observe:

The normal MOA of the normal anticoagulant rodenticide is that due to
the suppressed coagulation internal hemorrhages don't stop, the poisoned
animal bleeds profusely into guts and joints.

Fact 1 : the blood is no longer concentrated inside the blood vessels
but dispersed throughout the body

Fact 2 : Blood is moisture

Fact 3 : With reference to their individual mass rodents have a HUGE
body surface

What happens? Usually they dry out before bacteria can start their job
to decompose them. Effect: no smell.

Well, I can verify that for smaller rodents, at least. My previous apartment
had an outdoor storage cubby with a poorly-fit Z-strapped plywood door, so
every year when it got cold, mice moved in. I dreaded the annual cleanout,
because there was always 1 or 2 feet-up little corpses to suprise me, in the
niches between the crates and such. (I gross out easily.) I never put out
poison, so I assume hot or cold weather killed them. I could smell the ****
and turds and chewed cardboard, but never noticed any decomp. (Only
experienced that sickly sweet smell once or twice, and you never forget
it.)

aem sends...

Removing Hot Air from Vaulted Ceiling Todd Home Repair 21 July 19th 12 02:42 AM
Need Help With Insulating Ceiling Of Enclosed Porch Josh B. Home Repair 1 May 15th 06 11:40 AM
Insulating a drop ceiling... bremen68 Woodworking 5 May 7th 06 09:35 PM
Ceiling Fan Steve Home Repair 0 August 7th 05 05:59 PM
Detecting Insulation in Ceiling and Walls Paul Home Repair 6 August 18th 03 05:59 PM