Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Rats in the ceiling - repelling?

wrote:

Is there a way to repel rats from inside your ceiling space? I have
heard that possums dislike naphthalene and camphor. Is there anything
that rats dislike? I am definitely not putting rat poison in the
ceiling, so the little critters die in some hard-to-reach wall cavity,
and then perfume the whole house.

I would try to figure out how they get in, and then put traps with bait
outside on their run. Yuck! Trim tree branches that touch or hang over
roof. Close up trash containers, etc. You in warm climate? I knew for
a while we had an occasional visitor that traversed the downspout next
to our patio; they would "drop in" once in a while. One morning, out
for coffee, I saw one scoot across the flower bed and go UP the
downspout! Around these parts, they don't like to be on the ground, and
their runs are usually along fences, tree branches, etc.