Posted to alt.home.repair

Default $2,500 reasonable for chimney repair?

The estimate is for rebuilding 16 layers (courses) of brick. Does
that appear to be high, or is it still in the ballpark for
Massachusetts?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If they are matching the old brick it could be very expensive. if they
are reusing the old brick then cleaning it can be a real pain.

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

The estimate is for rebuilding 16 layers (courses) of brick. Does
that appear to be high, or is it still in the ballpark for
Massachusetts?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is it a wporking chimney and are you getting it relined? Or if gas
furnace only stainless liner?

If its that bad on top other parts are probably detoriated

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The estimate is for rebuilding 16 layers (courses) of brick. Does
that appear to be high, or is it still in the ballpark for
Massachusetts?

Thanks.

In a normal part of the Commie-wealth or in the heart land of Boston?

Seriously, more rural or urban makes a really big difference. So does the
height and the amount of scaffolding needed to safely perform the work.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is on a working chimney, but no relining is taking place. What I
have are falling bricks at this point.

On 9 Sep 2006 06:16:12 -0700, "
wrote:

Is it a wporking chimney and are you getting it relined? Or if gas
furnace only stainless liner?

If its that bad on top other parts are probably detoriated

Posted to alt.home.repair

has this chimney been camera inspected?

many older chimneys are a safety hazard detoriated inside

Posted to alt.home.repair

This might be completely unrelated but I thought I'd share my two cents.

About two years ago I had my chimney inspected and scoped. They found
some structural problems at the top. The cheapest thing we came up with
was to have a stainless liner installed and a brick man came out and
re-secured the bricks at the top and re-pointed the joints. All said and
told $1,600 in Indiana. The liner install with stuff was $750.

No scaffolding and 30 feet of chimney.

I use this with a wood stove and it draws GREAT. Gets real warm and my
furnace run time was reduced so much that now I pay rent on my propane
tank. (If I do not buy a minimum amount of propane I have to pay tank rent).

Like I said, just my two cents.

wrote:
The estimate is for rebuilding 16 layers (courses) of brick. Does
that appear to be high, or is it still in the ballpark for
Massachusetts?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's helpful. I appreciate your input. It's something else to
consider.

HS