Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

Default Using the Sewer Vent for Cable or Cat5e Run?

Bill Kearney wrote:
While I agree with Mr. Kearney that it's better to "do it right" in the
first place, I seriously doubt a length of wire would pose any more
hazard in a fire if it was located on the outside of the siding or
underneath it. I've never heard of a cable acting as a "fuse". There
are far more combustible materials used in home construction and I doubt
the "fuse factor" would be pose any real issue. I mean, by the time it
gets hot enough to ignite FT-4 or FT-6 rated jacket, the vinyl siding
would be ablaze as well.

Suit yourself, quite possibly 'law-suit'.

Code exists for a reason. It's all a bunch of little stuff, but much like
the death of a thousand pinpricks, it's the little stuff that adds up. Just
because your one wire isn't a problem doesn't mean it won't become part of a
larger problem later. I've seen and heard tell of all sorts of wiring
stupidities, some DIY, a fair bit by "professionals". I'd rather avoid
doing something lazy on the premise it "might not" be a real problem.

Really, your home is probably the most expensive investment you'll ever make
in your life, why screw around with it? Why put your life and your money at
risk? Just to be cheap/lazy? Honestly, it makes no rational sense.

But hey, feel free, someone's gotta keep the firemen, lawyers and morgue
clerks busy...

OK. Glad you got that off you chest. I still have serious doubts that
a "hunk" of wire could become a fuse though.

Now before you go off on another "tangent", I too, have seen the
"results" of DIY "inspiration" when it comes to running wire. If you
honestly don't know what you're doing in the first place, listening to
some "nimrod" on the phone for two hours explaining the "how to's"
probably won't help either. What might take you three hours (and a
whole lot of frustration) to do would take a seasoned installer (with
all the right tools) about fifteen minutes. I think your house (and
your piece of mind) is definitely worth the two hours the guy might
charge for a "complex" run.
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

I think your house (and
your piece of mind) is definitely worth the two hours the guy might
charge for a "complex" run.

Exactly.
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 20:48:48 -0400, Bill Kearney wrote:
I'm contemplating GigE. Like you, all I need is a switch. When I see
a deal I can't refuse, I'll jump. The rest of the infrastructure is
ready.

Well, a switch alone won't help you. It doesn't do you any good to have a
bunch of gigE workstations if you only have a single gigE link into the

Bill, this is my HOME. The network is usually under 10% utilization.
But when I want to move a big file, it takes too long. A gE switch WILL
help, because there will only be significant traffic between two systems.

server. It's often cheaper and equally effective to continue using
100BaseT/Full Duplex on the workstations and multiple connections into the
servers using 100BaseT or gigE.

Gee, sounds like someone forgot "alt.home.repair" and
"comp.home.automation" is mostly about HOME... I do have two
fileservers on my home network, but I suspect that puts me into a
distinct minority.

sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

:

wrote:
[...]

Sylvan,

I installed fiber hubs in basement and 2nd floor because of repeated
lightning damage to 100baseT and RS-xxx systems with the welcome side-effect
of gigabit transfer rates. If you can/want to physically run fiber, check out
eBay.

Search " NETGEAR FS518" These have 2 gigabit fiber + 16 100BT, sell for
about $30 and are OK but have noisy small diameter fans and do increase
overall UPS power needs. There's a bunch up for sale now.

http://search-completed.ebay.com/NET...ZC5QQfbdZ1QQfc
lZ3QQfisZ2QQflocZ1QQfromZR14QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfso pZ1QQfssZ0QQftrtZ1QQft
rvZ1QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQsaaffZafdefaultQQsacatZQ2d 1QQsacqyopZgeQQsacurZ0
QQsadisZ200QQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ0QQsaslopZ1QQsofocu sZbsQQsorefinesearchZ1

I got a couple of these and also two four-port D-Link DGS-3204 gigabit fiber
managed hubs for a bit more. There are couple up for sale now. I may put one
of mine in my upcoming 'porch sale'. Same caveat about noise and power
consumption. Otherwise also flawless in my experience.

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

rnal...

wrote:
Well, a switch alone won't help you. It doesn't do you any good to have

bunch of gigE workstations if you only have a single gigE link into the

Bill, this is my HOME. The network is usually under 10% utilization.
But when I want to move a big file, it takes too long. A gE switch WILL
help, because there will only be significant traffic between two systems.

Well good for you. For others reading the thread is may help them to
understand some network design issues. Just adding expensive gigE cards and
wiring (not just the copper, but the wall plates too). That and unless
you've got a fileserver that's capable of truly handling gigE throughput
it's going to be wasted money.

server. It's often cheaper and equally effective to continue using
100BaseT/Full Duplex on the workstations and multiple connections into

the
servers using 100BaseT or gigE.

Gee, sounds like someone forgot "alt.home.repair" and
"comp.home.automation" is mostly about HOME... I do have two
fileservers on my home network, but I suspect that puts me into a
distinct minority.

Oh please, give it a rest.