Matt

Default Drilled 3/16" hole into sewer vent - is there much of a problem?

Hey everyone, so I was installing one of those
wall anchors in the hallway closet, the ones that
go into drywall and expand once you place a screw
in it. Well as the subject says, I drilled a hole
into the vent running from the downstairs bathroom
up to the roof. What are the odds of that??

So, is there any problem with fumes, hazardous or not,
seeping out between the drywall?

I think the anchor and the screw plugged the hole.

Thanks for your time,
Matt

buffalobill

by modifying your home in this manner you have left the future of the
explosive fume exhaust system up to anyone with a screwdriver.
unless you are not speaking about a sewer vent line.
in any case the poor next guy will be asking us for help with a
mysterious source of odor or fumes from his hallway closet...
if you're not afraid of the methane produced by sewage that vents above
your roof, think about how nice it is when the system works properly
for a flammable liquid spill into the street sewer.

m Ransley

You might get a bit of gas but probably not noticable, a bit of rain
water may come in eventualy. Best would be to caulk it up, maybe use
silicone.

Matt

m Ransley wrote:
You might get a bit of gas but probably not noticable, a bit of rain
water may come in eventualy. Best would be to caulk it up, maybe use
silicone.

Well its a small hole, and its right up against the drywall and the
anchor is lodged in the hole. Perhaps I can jam a bunch of silicone
cocking in there to further plug it up.

I bet if the sewer vent was actually in the center between the drywall
that I wouldn't have this problem.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt

buffalobill wrote:
by modifying your home in this manner you have left the future of the
explosive fume exhaust system up to anyone with a screwdriver.
unless you are not speaking about a sewer vent line.
in any case the poor next guy will be asking us for help with a
mysterious source of odor or fumes from his hallway closet...
if you're not afraid of the methane produced by sewage that vents above
your roof, think about how nice it is when the system works properly
for a flammable liquid spill into the street sewer.

Thanks for your response, I'm looking to remedy the situation.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Matt" "No Email" wrote in message

Well its a small hole, and its right up against the drywall and the anchor
is lodged in the hole. Perhaps I can jam a bunch of silicone cocking in
there to further plug it up.

That will work. It is a minor problem, not the doomsday machine.

Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Matt" "No Email" wrote in message

Well its a small hole, and its right up against the drywall and the anchor
is lodged in the hole. Perhaps I can jam a bunch of silicone cocking in
there to further plug it up.

That will work. It is a minor problem, not the doomsday machine.

I'd just take an appropriate sized sheet metal screw, use a rubber
washer, dab some silicon on it and screw it into the hole. It'll hold
forever against the gases to prevent odor which is the only _real_
concern.
Jeff Wisnia

Matt wrote:
m Ransley wrote:

You might get a bit of gas but probably not noticable, a bit of rain
water may come in eventualy. Best would be to caulk it up, maybe use
silicone.

Well its a small hole, and its right up against the drywall and the
anchor is lodged in the hole. Perhaps I can jam a bunch of silicone
cocking in there to further plug it up.

I think you've "cocked it up" enough already, Matt. :-)

I bet if the sewer vent was actually in the center between the drywall
that I wouldn't have this problem.

Probably, but out of curiousity, how did you learn about your
unfortunate choice of spots to drill? Did you feel the resistance of the
pipe and seefind

If the anchor you used was one of those simple plastic ones that gets
expanded by a screw entering it, then I think you'd be fine if you just
removed the screw, pulled the anchor out, squirted in the silicone
sealer like you said and reset the anchor and screw.

HTH,

Jeff

Thanks,
Matt

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Matt wrote:
m Ransley wrote:

[...]

Hahaha, good one Jeff :-) I got a good laugh out of that.

Honestly I didn't feel much of a resistance. I have one of those 18v
Dewalt drills and it cut right through it. I found out when I tried to
insert the anchor in and it had more resistance than the other anchor
I inserted. So I got one of those fiber optic attachment for my mini
Maglight and I was able to see some plastic but couldn't really make
out what it was, and then it hit me. Oh ****! I climbed up into the
attic and confirmed my suspicion.

The pvc piping that comes up from the wall in the closet doesn't go
straight to the roof. It actually hooks a 90 to meet up with another
vent and the pvc it self seems kinda flimsy. I guess it doesn't need
much since it just a vent.

I'll go ahead and seal that up with silicone and monitor it.

Thanks, take it easy,
Matt
Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
et...
Well its a small hole, and its right up against the drywall and the
anchor is lodged in the hole. Perhaps I can jam a bunch of silicone
cocking in there to further plug it up.

I think you've "cocked it up" enough already, Matt. :-)

Do you think his wife will mind losing her favorite toy?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack

My Solution:
Take out a bit of the drywall around it.
Put some epoxy putty on hole & surrounds
replace drywall.

That's what I would do!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Edwin Pawlowski :

"Matt" "No Email" wrote in message

Well its a small hole, and its right up against the drywall and the anchor
is lodged in the hole. Perhaps I can jam a bunch of silicone cocking in
there to further plug it up.

That will work. It is a minor problem, not the doomsday machine.

Darn, I rather thought having jets of flaming methane would be cool ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
Zeppo

A few years ago I drilled a 3/8" hole through my family room floor and
garage ceiling to run back speaker cables to the other side of the room. I
didn't realize I had drilled directly between the conductors of a run of 10
gauge romex until I started pulling the speaker wires through and hit a kink
in one of them which tore the romex insulation enough to short the
conductors.

The fire was put out very quickly. Impressive sparkly light show, however.

Jon

"Matt" "No Email" wrote in message
Hey everyone, so I was installing one of those
wall anchors in the hallway closet, the ones that
go into drywall and expand once you place a screw
in it. Well as the subject says, I drilled a hole
into the vent running from the downstairs bathroom
up to the roof. What are the odds of that??

So, is there any problem with fumes, hazardous or not,
seeping out between the drywall?

I think the anchor and the screw plugged the hole.

Thanks for your time,
Matt

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
snip

Darn, I rather thought having jets of flaming methane would be cool ;-)

Depends on what you eat, try holding a lighter near
your.............................

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Matt" "No Email" wrote in message

Well its a small hole, and its right up against the drywall and the
anchor
is lodged in the hole. Perhaps I can jam a bunch of silicone cocking in
there to further plug it up.

That will work. It is a minor problem, not the doomsday machine.

I'd just take an appropriate sized sheet metal screw, use a rubber
washer, dab some silicon on it and screw it into the hole. It'll hold
forever against the gases to prevent odor which is the only _real_
concern.

My vote for best answer is above. Only need to drill the sheetrock hole a
little bigger and will be easy to patch.

Just be happy it was ABS or PVC and not cast iron (though you probably
wouldn't have penetrated that so easily)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt

Chris Lewis wrote:
According to Edwin Pawlowski :
"Matt" "No Email" wrote in message
Well its a small hole, and its right up against the drywall and the anchor
is lodged in the hole. Perhaps I can jam a bunch of silicone cocking in
there to further plug it up.

That will work. It is a minor problem, not the doomsday machine.

Darn, I rather thought having jets of flaming methane would be cool ;-)

Cool, but I'd never stop hearing it from the lady of the house :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt

Zeppo wrote:
[...]

Yeah, it would be nice to have the plans to the house, but KB
is being stingy due to fear of copy cats building companies.
I wish that it would just have where the plumbing and wiring
are laid out. I don't care about all the structural numbers
just some dimensions.

I hope it wasn't an expensive lesson learned.

Matt
Posted to alt.home.repair
Zeppo

Zeppo wrote:
[...]

Not too bad. The top paper of the ceiling drywall caught for a few seconds
but went out. I had to replace some insulation, patch the drywall and rerun
the electrical line to my AC Compressor. Unfortunately I lost about 10 years
off my life when the short made a loud bang, the lights went out and sparks
flew out of the hole for a few seconds.

Jon