Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Cut Corrugated Metal Roofing?

"Jones" wrote in message
Eduardo blew some of the 2' x 12' galvanized, corrugated steel roofing
material off of my barn, and I had to replace most of 2 sheets.

I didn't have any power on Saturday to cut it off, so I just nailed it up
and let it run long off the eave of the roof, but now I have to cut it off
flush with the rest of the roof.

Can anyone tell me what I should use to cut this stuff?

My brother (a contractor) says I should just put a plywood blade into my
circular saw backwards, wear safety goggles and earplugs, grit my teeth
and let 'er rip ... but somehow that sounds a little scary to me on an 18'
ladder.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

I was a steel erection contractor for nine years, and cut hundreds of sheets
of corrugated panels on carports.

I have tried SawZalla, circular blades, and many other things.

There are two things that work. One is a specialized cutter that has the
same profile as your panel. That is, the teeth and ridges match your metal
EXACTLY, and then it works like a giant paper cutter.

The second thing is some Wiss snips in good condition. Depending on the
direction you cut, use the proper cutter, either right or left. It is a
little slow, and you have to pull the cutoff out slightly to keep from
jamming the blades. But it is the easiest way I found. Particularly that
you are only cutting a couple of panels.

Other guys are telling you to cut them with a SawZall? Circular saw? Jig
saw? Please let me know when and where you guys are going to do this. I
want to bring a lawn chair, some adult beverages, and a video camera. And,
I'll stop and pick up a big box of Band-Aids, too. Been there, done that,
used the Band-Aids. This stuff is usually 26 or 29 ga. and will jump and
dance all over the place. Hard to clamp down, keep from distorting, get a
straight cut, or get anything but a terribly ragged edge.

I am currently cutting 39" wide panels for a cover for my wood pile. I am
using my Wiss snips. Just pop a line with a chalk line, and you'll get it
pretty close in the valleys.

Do whatever you want, but please report which way was the easiest.
Sometimes it's just the simplest tool in the box along with some patience
and craftsmanship.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

"Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Plasma cutter. You'll be done in seconds. A perfect task for one of the
small units that has a built in compressor, runs on a regular 20A 120V
circuit and has about an 1/8" cutting capacity.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Jones" wrote in message
[...]

My sympathy for your difficulties......the 20 gage material I worked
with cut just fine with my Milwaukee worn drive & a metal cutting
abrasive blade.

Perhaps you needed a better setup?

Milwaukee power shear works well also, a practiced hand can get a nice
clean staight edge.

cheers
Bob

How to Cut Corrugated Metal Roofing? BobK207 Home Repair 0 September 6th 06 04:07 PM
How to Cut Corrugated Metal Roofing? Edwin Pawlowski Home Repair 0 September 6th 06 03:15 PM
Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM