Posted to alt.home.repair

Default what to put in a small toolbox for in the house

I'm too lazy to run out to the workshop for tools for every tiny indoor
job. Decided I'd make up a small house toolbox. I was figuring at a
minimum:

several screwdrivers of varying sizes -- slotted and Phillips
needle nose pliers -- also can be used as an adj. wrench in a pinch!
pliers
2 crescent wrenches
utility knife
wire strippers
bailing wire
electrical tape
picture hangers/nails/screws
small hammer
tape measure
torpedo level

what else?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , grappletech wrote:
I'm too lazy to run out to the workshop for tools for every tiny indoor
job. Decided I'd make up a small house toolbox. I was figuring at a
minimum:

several screwdrivers of varying sizes -- slotted and Phillips
needle nose pliers -- also can be used as an adj. wrench in a pinch!
pliers
2 crescent wrenches
utility knife
wire strippers
bailing wire
electrical tape
picture hangers/nails/screws
small hammer
tape measure
torpedo level

what else?

Small strap wrench.

I user mine once or twice a week.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

grappletech wrote:
I'm too lazy to run out to the workshop for tools for every tiny indoor
job. Decided I'd make up a small house toolbox. I was figuring at a
minimum:

several screwdrivers of varying sizes -- slotted and Phillips
needle nose pliers -- also can be used as an adj. wrench in a pinch!
pliers
2 crescent wrenches
utility knife
wire strippers
bailing wire
electrical tape
picture hangers/nails/screws
small hammer
tape measure
torpedo level

what else?

Hi,
Small pair of pliers, side cutter, Nylon tie, watch makers
small screw driver set, and cordless screw driver(saves time) and I have
a Dremel tool set. Oh, assortment of plastic screw anchor for wall
mounting. And wife uses it most herself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Duct tape and WD40-- if it is supposed to move and doesn't--WD40. If it
isn't supposed to move and does--duct tape. Seriously, you named most
eveythng, possibly small hot glue gun and a few glue sticks, maybe a
small file, some assorted sandpaper, and if you didn't mention it, an
assortment of all fasteners--nails, brads, tacks, wood and sheet metal
screws, nuts and bolts and possibly a staple gun if you ever use one.
Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 22:51:56 -0500, grappletech
wrote:

I'm too lazy to run out to the workshop for tools for every tiny indoor
job. Decided I'd make up a small house toolbox. I was figuring at a
minimum:

Why not start with nothing, and everytime you run to the workshop, put
the tool in your indoor toolbox when you're done.

several screwdrivers of varying sizes -- slotted and Phillips
needle nose pliers -- also can be used as an adj. wrench in a pinch!
pliers
2 crescent wrenches
utility knife
wire strippers
bailing wire
electrical tape
picture hangers/nails/screws
small hammer
tape measure
torpedo level

what else?

Posted to alt.home.repair

grappletech wrote:

what else?

vise-grips

Lena

Posted to alt.home.repair

grappletech wrote:
several screwdrivers of varying sizes -- slotted and Phillips

needle nose pliers -- also can be used as an adj. wrench in a pinch!
pliers
2 crescent wrenches
utility knife
wire strippers
bailing wire
electrical tape
picture hangers/nails/screws
small hammer
tape measure
torpedo level

Arrow T-50 STAPLE GUN. This stapler is truly a classic tool. I have
tried the others but the Arrow is still the best and has stood the test
of time. I find the 5/16" staples to be the most useful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I follow the advice of a previous poster. Buy the tool you need for a
project and add it to the toolbox when you're finished.

That's why I have a small pneumatic hammer (& compressor) in mine, for those
tough jobs where neither the 18" chain saw nor the Sawzall won't cut it.

And I'm sure we'll all agree, when you need a stump grinder (and companion
chipper), nothing else will do.

By now you may have guessed, my toolbag also has a trailer hitch & wheels
(BIG tires).

Now...for the large toolbox....

Aren't you glad you asked?
"grappletech" wrote in message
I'm too lazy to run out to the workshop for tools for every tiny indoor
job. Decided I'd make up a small house toolbox. I was figuring at a
minimum:

several screwdrivers of varying sizes -- slotted and Phillips
needle nose pliers -- also can be used as an adj. wrench in a pinch!
pliers
2 crescent wrenches
utility knife
wire strippers
bailing wire
electrical tape
picture hangers/nails/screws
small hammer
tape measure
torpedo level

what else?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to alt.home.repair

lp13-30 wrote:
Duct tape and WD40-- if it is supposed to move and doesn't--WD40. If it
isn't supposed to move and does--duct tape. Seriously, you named most
eveythng, possibly small hot glue gun and a few glue sticks, maybe a
small file, some assorted sandpaper, and if you didn't mention it, an
assortment of all fasteners--nails, brads, tacks, wood and sheet metal
screws, nuts and bolts and possibly a staple gun if you ever use one.

I'd stock penetrating oil rather than WD-40. WD-40 is a "water drying"
agent.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

Love the cordless screwdriver for small jobs, use it with quick change
drill bits, assorted drive bits. Small hammer, spirit level, assorted
screws, nails, fasteners.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm too lazy to run out to the workshop for tools for every tiny indoor
job. Decided I'd make up a small house toolbox. I was figuring at a
minimum:

several screwdrivers of varying sizes -- slotted and Phillips
needle nose pliers -- also can be used as an adj. wrench in a pinch!
pliers
2 crescent wrenches
utility knife
wire strippers
bailing wire
electrical tape
picture hangers/nails/screws
small hammer
tape measure
torpedo level

what else?

pencils, markers. scissors, files, single edge blade scrapper, extra
utility knife blades, flat bar, Allen wrenches, stud finder, small
testers, mechanic's telescopic mirror...YAWN...

Why not walk through your home, making a list of things you would need
in each room. Make one trip to the workshop and fill the box.

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Sep 2006 07:14:08 -0700, "
wrote:

Actually, I find I use my putty knife and painter's tool quite often,
too (usually for neither putty- nor painting-related chores, LOL!)

Jo Ann

I love my painter's 5-N-1, but I call it the 100 -N- 1 tool.

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

grappletech wrote:
I'm too lazy to run out to the workshop for tools for every tiny indoor
job. Decided I'd make up a small house toolbox. I was figuring at a
minimum:

several screwdrivers of varying sizes -- slotted and Phillips
needle nose pliers -- also can be used as an adj. wrench in a pinch!
pliers
2 crescent wrenches
utility knife
wire strippers
bailing wire
electrical tape
picture hangers/nails/screws
small hammer
tape measure
torpedo level

what else?

Since nobody else her but me is willing to admit they occasionally scrw
up and suffer a self inflicted injury, how's about a few Band-Aids and a
tube of Neosporin or similar anti-bacterial cream?

It avoids having to leave the job and go looking for where somebody
stashed the family supply of them. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote in news:aJ-dnbOE5
:

lp13-30 wrote:
Duct tape and WD40-- if it is supposed to move and doesn't--WD40. If

it
isn't supposed to move and does--duct tape. Seriously, you named most
eveythng, possibly small hot glue gun and a few glue sticks, maybe a
small file, some assorted sandpaper, and if you didn't mention it, an
assortment of all fasteners--nails, brads, tacks, wood and sheet

metal
screws, nuts and bolts and possibly a staple gun if you ever use one.

I'd stock penetrating oil rather than WD-40. WD-40 is a "water

drying"
agent.

Yep. Penetrating lubricant is a lot better than WD-40. I used to rent
a storage unit at an older storage facility, and the woman who ran the
place only bought WD-40 to lube the doors with, so the metal roll-up
doors were hard to roll up. I am a very strong 240 pound male, and they
were even hard for me to roll up using that crappy WD-40. So I asked
her a few times to buy penetrating lube, but she finally told me to stop
bothering her. So I bought my own can of penetrating lubricant, and my
door became a lot easier to open. Karma's a bitch, man. She tweaked a
disc in her back, lifting the doors and was on disability for awhile. I
tried to tell her. Also she didn't know how to lift properly; she
wouldn't bend her knees, would just reach over and use her back. She
was one of these "know it alls" who can't take suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 04:32:47 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

grappletech wrote:
I'm too lazy to run out to the workshop for tools for every tiny indoor
job. Decided I'd make up a small house toolbox. I was figuring at a
minimum:

several screwdrivers of varying sizes -- slotted and Phillips
needle nose pliers -- also can be used as an adj. wrench in a pinch!
pliers
2 crescent wrenches
utility knife
wire strippers
bailing wire
electrical tape
picture hangers/nails/screws
small hammer
tape measure
torpedo level

what else?

Secondhand power drill, or a crank drill,
a japanese-style pull-saw with cross-cut on
one side and rip on the other,
an extension cord, at least two fairly large
C clamps, and a flashlight.

I would swap the crescent wrenches for
adjustables (maybe that's what you meant),
and add a big pair of vice-grips
(the wrong tool for every job!),
and swap a 4-in-1 screwdriver for
the set of varying sizes. Maybe
adding a set of jewler-screwdrivers.
For the pliers you want at least one
long-handled channel-lock.
Posted to alt.home.repair

lp13-30 wrote:
Duct tape and WD40-- if it is supposed to move and doesn't--WD40. If it
isn't supposed to move and does--duct tape. Seriously, you named most
eveythng, possibly small hot glue gun and a few glue sticks, maybe a
small file, some assorted sandpaper, and if you didn't mention it, an
assortment of all fasteners--nails, brads, tacks, wood and sheet metal
screws, nuts and bolts and possibly a staple gun if you ever use one.
Larry

WD40 is not a lubricant and is best left on the shelf in the store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Agreed with the Neosporin and band-aids in a small first-aid kit.

Most of our pictures are hung on embroidery needles rather than nails.
When removed they make a smaller hole. Plastic box with a few packages
of needles.

For picture-hanging: 24-48" level (use as a straightedge), yardstick or
drywall square.

Monofilament fishing line - don't need much and it need not be more
than about 10# test.

Posted to alt.home.repair

grappletech wrote:

I'm too lazy to run out to the workshop for tools for every tiny indoor
job. Decided I'd make up a small house toolbox. I was figuring at a
minimum:

several screwdrivers of varying sizes -- slotted and Phillips
needle nose pliers -- also can be used as an adj. wrench in a pinch!
pliers
2 crescent wrenches
utility knife
wire strippers
bailing wire
electrical tape
picture hangers/nails/screws
small hammer
tape measure
torpedo level

what else?

I'm dating myself here, but I usually find myself reaching for my "push
drill" when I need to drill something like a starting hole for a wood screw.

Mine is a Craftsman I bought maybe 40 years ago. It's small size makes
it convenient to use in cramped locations where a cordless drill might
not fit, and the various size drill bits are stored inside the handle.

Stanley used to make them, but quit a few years ago, when cordless
drills became the rage. There's new imports available, but there's
plenty of vintage ones to be had on eBay, like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/hys94

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 6 Sep 2006 12:54:46 -0700, "IBM5081" wrote:

Agreed with the Neosporin and band-aids in a small first-aid kit.

I already have bandaids in the house, so I don't need them in the tool
box.

Most of our pictures are hung on embroidery needles rather than nails.
When removed they make a smaller hole. Plastic box with a few packages
of needles.

For picture-hanging: 24-48" level (use as a straightedge), yardstick or
drywall square.

Monofilament fishing line - don't need much and it need not be more
than about 10# test.

Easiest way to keep pictures level: Put in two nails instead of one,
an inch or three apart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote in
:

http://tinyurl.com/hys94

So that's basically a screwdriver but with a bit instead of a phillips or
slotted head? So you use it for drilling pilot holes and such. I have, so
far, been able to use the cordless drill to drill every pilot hole I've
ever had to make. Haven't had any in tight space yet, I guess.

At Autozone the other day, I saw a cordless drill/driver kit (18V) with a
battery/charger for $18. Chinese made. Hell it's probably made at the
same factory, using the same basic materials, as my $70 Craftsman cordless
drill!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had good results with PB Blaster from Napa.

Oh, WD means "water displacement".

Glad your roll up door got easier to roll. Also glad the rock headed
lady got her reward, too.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

grappletech wrote:
snip

if you're really going to do it

I like having 2 pair of channel locks or pliers around
(one to hold the thing that the thing you are trying to turn is
attatched to)

I use scissors alot

some razor blades come in handy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Push drill (from QWhat to Put in Small Household Toolbox)

Just thought I'd mention that I thought you made a good argument for
this, so I bought the one from this link on eBay. Looks like a good
idea I'll get a lot of use out of!

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm dating myself here, but I usually find myself reaching for my "push
drill" when I need to drill something like a starting hole for a wood screw.

Mine is a Craftsman I bought maybe 40 years ago. It's small size makes
it convenient to use in cramped locations where a cordless drill might
not fit, and the various size drill bits are stored inside the handle.

Stanley used to make them, but quit a few years ago, when cordless
drills became the rage. There's new imports available, but there's
plenty of vintage ones to be had on eBay, like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/hys94

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

I'm dating myself here, but I usually find myself reaching for my "push
drill" when I need to drill something like a starting hole for a wood
screw.

Mine is a Craftsman I bought maybe 40 years ago. It's small size makes it
convenient to use in cramped locations where a cordless drill might not
fit, and the various size drill bits are stored inside the handle.

Stanley used to make them, but quit a few years ago, when cordless drills
became the rage. There's new imports available, but there's plenty of
vintage ones to be had on eBay, like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/hys94

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."

I'm with you - I've actually got a Stanley _and_ a Craftsman. The Stanley
just has drill bits; the Craftsman has a couple of screwdriver bits in
addition to a smaller set of drill bits. Haven't used them in a while - a
beautifully balanced Craftsman 12V cordless drill I bought twelve or so
years ago seems to fall more naturally to hand for most things I would've
used the push drills for. The drill is on its second set of batteries, but
they were available - one of the things Sears is good about.

- Dennis Brothers

(FWIW, I'm N1DB, and my Brass Rat is eleven years newer than yours)
(Further, my wife is K1KEB, and her Brass Rat is the same year as mine -
there were 47 coeds in our class of about 1,000, and I got one

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm too lazy to run out to the workshop for tools for every tiny indoor
job. Decided I'd make up a small house toolbox. I was figuring at a
minimum:

Great idea. You always need something you won't think of. That's why
you make up a kit.

Here's some of what's in mine:

Screws: 4 sizes of drywall screws.
A couple of sizes of finish nails
Plastic anchors: 2 sizes, plus the screws and drill bits to use with
them. (my tool "bag" has a small plastic organizer that slides into
the bottom)
1" putty knife
cordless screwdriver
Linesman's pliers, wire stripper, outlet tester, wire nuts, ty-raps
2 tiny spring clamps
Work gloves
Speed square
Small channellock pliers.
Adjustable wrench.
Regular pliers
WD-40, tiny can
Utility knife
Level
A few drill bits.
Nail set.
Pencils, sharpie
Alcohol wipes (haven't used these yet)
Hammer, 4 screwdrivers, bit handle and multiple screwdriver bits
5" pry bar (much handier than you'd think!)
Tape measure.
Tiny flashlight

This all fits in a sort of canvas cube, 9" x 9" x maybe 14" high
(including the handle). It's the perfect size: not so big that you'll
be too lazy to carry it, not so small that it's useless. I keep this
in the house, next to one of my cordless drills. It's amazing how much
stuff I can do with just those things.

Greg Guarino