Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ceiling texture - mud swirl patterns

Many years ago I lived in a house that had mud swirl patterns
used as the finish texture on the ceilings of the various rooms.
Each of the 3 bedrooms had a different pattern and I think the
living area had yet another pattern.

In our current house I am preparing to retexture the ceilings
and I would like very much to implement the mud swirl patterns
similar to the previous house.

Can anyone give me a reference where I can find different
styles/patterns I can use? I have found one reference on the
web that offers to teach (for a fee) the mud swirl technique
but the person has never responded to my email.

Suggestions would be most welcome!

John Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Keith wrote:
Many years ago I lived in a house that had mud swirl patterns
used as the finish texture on the ceilings of the various rooms.
Each of the 3 bedrooms had a different pattern and I think the
living area had yet another pattern.

In our current house I am preparing to retexture the ceilings
and I would like very much to implement the mud swirl patterns
similar to the previous house.

Can anyone give me a reference where I can find different
styles/patterns I can use? I have found one reference on the
web that offers to teach (for a fee) the mud swirl technique
but the person has never responded to my email.

Suggestions would be most welcome!

John Keith

I think what you are referring to is done with a thin coat of mud and a
notched trowel.
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Sep 2006 17:11:42 -0700, "Jack" wrote:

John Keith wrote:
Many years ago I lived in a house that had mud swirl patterns
used as the finish texture on the ceilings of the various rooms.
Each of the 3 bedrooms had a different pattern and I think the
living area had yet another pattern.

In our current house I am preparing to retexture the ceilings
and I would like very much to implement the mud swirl patterns
similar to the previous house.

Can anyone give me a reference where I can find different
styles/patterns I can use? I have found one reference on the
web that offers to teach (for a fee) the mud swirl technique
but the person has never responded to my email.

Suggestions would be most welcome!

John Keith

I think what you are referring to is done with a thin coat of mud and a
notched trowel.

STiff bristle-broom, for the rainbow-pattern.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Keith wrote:
Many years ago I lived in a house that had mud swirl patterns
used as the finish texture on the ceilings of the various rooms.
Each of the 3 bedrooms had a different pattern and I think the
living area had yet another pattern.

In our current house I am preparing to retexture the ceilings
and I would like very much to implement the mud swirl patterns
similar to the previous house.

Can anyone give me a reference where I can find different
styles/patterns I can use? I have found one reference on the
web that offers to teach (for a fee) the mud swirl technique
but the person has never responded to my email.

Suggestions would be most welcome!

John Keith

http://drywallschool.com/

Get some cheap plywood or broken sheets of drywall to practice on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Sep 2006 18:17:46 -0700, "RayV" wrote:

John Keith wrote:
Many years ago I lived in a house that had mud swirl patterns
used as the finish texture on the ceilings of the various rooms.
Each of the 3 bedrooms had a different pattern and I think the
living area had yet another pattern.

In our current house I am preparing to retexture the ceilings
and I would like very much to implement the mud swirl patterns
similar to the previous house.

Can anyone give me a reference where I can find different
styles/patterns I can use? I have found one reference on the
web that offers to teach (for a fee) the mud swirl technique
but the person has never responded to my email.

Suggestions would be most welcome!

John Keith

http://drywallschool.com/

Get some cheap plywood or broken sheets of drywall to practice on.

That's the web reference I have seen and my email to Mike has never
been answered.

I understand about using a thin coat of mud and the need to practice
on plywood.

What I'm looking for is pictures of different patterns (since I'm not
very artisitic) beyond the "scallops" that are on the above web page.

Our previous master bedroom had what I would call a "sunburst" pattern
that was centered on the overhead light. I'd like to find examples of
something like that and other styles.

Thanks for the notes so far.

John Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:22:02 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

STiff bristle-broom, for the rainbow-pattern.

I know what a rainbow looks like (duh) but can you point me to
a picture of how this mught be repeated in a pattern?

John Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Keith wrote in
:

John Keith wrote:
[...]

I guess you've seen this.

http://www.drywallschool.com/textures.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:06:37 -0600, John Keith wrote:

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:22:02 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

STiff bristle-broom, for the rainbow-pattern.

I know what a rainbow looks like (duh) but can you point me to
a picture of how this mught be repeated in a pattern?

Maybe I should have called it a scale-pattern.
All the ceilings in my father's house were done
by a guy on stilts walking around stabbing a brush
into the mud and giving it a bit more than a
half-turn around one corner, moving sideways almost
2 brush-widths, and repeating. When you finish a row,
you move down almost one brush-width, center the pivot
corner between two arcs of the previous row, and
continue in the opposite direction. I don't remember
what they did to make the edges work out right, but
the field ends up looking kind of like this:

www.goedjn.com/sketch/scaly.gif

--Goedjn
Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn writes:

Maybe I should have called it a scale-pattern.
the field ends up looking kind of like this:

www.goedjn.com/sketch/scaly.gif

My apologies for partly hijacking the thread but I have a related
question. If I already have ceilings that have that texture, what is
the simplest way to clean/repaint them? I assume that any attempt to
use a brush or anything like that vigorously would (may?) knock off
the texture ... so any alternatives? Especially if I want to avoid
spraying?

Thanks,

--NS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 17:28:41 -0600, John Keith wrote:

Many years ago I lived in a house that had mud swirl patterns
used as the finish texture on the ceilings of the various rooms.
Each of the 3 bedrooms had a different pattern and I think the
living area had yet another pattern.

In our current house I am preparing to retexture the ceilings
and I would like very much to implement the mud swirl patterns
similar to the previous house.

Can anyone give me a reference where I can find different
styles/patterns I can use? I have found one reference on the
web that offers to teach (for a fee) the mud swirl technique
but the person has never responded to my email.

Suggestions would be most welcome!

These tools show a texture pattern example beside each one. Just for
ideas.

http://www.fantastictools.com/pages/texmaster.htm

Many years ago I watched my brother do couple ceilings with heavy
texture. In the center of one room he did a wagon wheel, the center
hub centered at the light fixture...spokes coming out to the edge of
the wheel. He used a string from the outlet center to get his circle.

I guess one is limited by imagination and ideas.

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 11:29:18 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

Maybe I should have called it a scale-pattern.

the field ends up looking kind of like this:

www.goedjn.com/sketch/scaly.gif

--Goedjn

I'd call that a scallop pattern.

Cool diagram. I've saved it as style #1 to use (yes, it is similar
to obne I remember in the old house.) Now I just need another
3-4 examples of different styles to use.

Thanks!

John Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 21:50:35 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

I guess you've seen this.

http://www.drywallschool.com/textures.htm

I noted in one of my earlier responses in this thread that I have seen
that page. I've tried to contact the owner of that page (his address
is posted on the page and he sells info which I would glad pay for)
but he has never responded to my messages :-(

John Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:04:10 -0700, Oren wrote:

These tools show a texture pattern example beside each one. Just for
ideas.

http://www.fantastictools.com/pages/texmaster.htm

Some interesting patterns htat I will also consider.

Many years ago I watched my brother do couple ceilings with heavy
texture. In the center of one room he did a wagon wheel, the center
hub centered at the light fixture...spokes coming out to the edge of
the wheel. He used a string from the outlet center to get his circle.

That sounds interesting!

I guess one is limited by imagination and ideas.

I'm pretty good at ideas except for when it comes to colors, styles,
patterns, etc. :-(

Thanks for the comments.

John Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Keith wrote in
:

wrote:

I guess you've seen this.

http://www.drywallschool.com/textures.htm

I noted in one of my earlier responses in this thread that I have seen
that page. I've tried to contact the owner of that page (his address
is posted on the page and he sells info which I would glad pay for)
but he has never responded to my messages :-(

John Keith

I saw that after. Be nice if I always read threads in order.

Guess it was a temporary pipe dream of his.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Keith wrote in
:

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 11:29:18 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

Maybe I should have called it a scale-pattern.

the field ends up looking kind of like this:

www.goedjn.com/sketch/scaly.gif

--Goedjn

I'd call that a scallop pattern.

Cool diagram. I've saved it as style #1 to use (yes, it is similar
to obne I remember in the old house.) Now I just need another
3-4 examples of different styles to use.

Thanks!

John Keith

Looks like one of them pictures you're suppose to stare at and see
something totally different. I have yet to see anything in any of them!

Posted to alt.home.repair

ABCD wrote in :

Goedjn writes:

Maybe I should have called it a scale-pattern.
the field ends up looking kind of like this:

www.goedjn.com/sketch/scaly.gif

My apologies for partly hijacking the thread but I have a related
question. If I already have ceilings that have that texture, what is
the simplest way to clean/repaint them? I assume that any attempt to
use a brush or anything like that vigorously would (may?) knock off
the texture ... so any alternatives? Especially if I want to avoid
spraying?

Thanks,

--NS.

I've painted over all kinds to texture and patterns. I always use real
ceiling paint and not the cheap contractor "maintenance" paint. Always
use a roller. Heavier nap for heavier textures. The acoustical (I think
it's called) that is loose is the worst with pcs falling off everywhere.
I've read that painting will reduce or destroy the effectiveness of the
acoustical material.

If the ceiling will tolerate a washing, all the better. If not,
dust/vacuum it off best you can.

I had to redo a textured/popcorn section because half of it neede new
drywall. The existing texture part I just scraped with a heavy duty
scraper to get all the raised area off. Skim coated with mud, primed,
rolled texture on new and old then painted with ceiling paint.PITA but it
came out nice. Fortunately entire area was only 5x14 in an entry.
Unfortunately vaulted. Wouldn't want to do a full ceiling!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

[...]

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly."

He had talent and skill. The difference between your brother and many of
us is he knows what he is doing and has to do before he even starts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:06:37 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, John
Keith quickly quoth:

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:22:02 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

STiff bristle-broom, for the rainbow-pattern.

I know what a rainbow looks like (duh) but can you point me to
a picture of how this mught be repeated in a pattern?

The Pro-Style Shell master tool someone pointed at yesterday:
http://www.fantastictools.com/pages/texmaster.htm

-
They who know the truth are not equal to those who love it. -Confucius
---
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Programming Services
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Keith wrote:
Many years ago I lived in a house that had mud swirl patterns
used as the finish texture on the ceilings of the various rooms.
Each of the 3 bedrooms had a different pattern and I think the
living area had yet another pattern.

In our current house I am preparing to retexture the ceilings
and I would like very much to implement the mud swirl patterns
similar to the previous house.

Can anyone give me a reference where I can find different
styles/patterns I can use? I have found one reference on the
web that offers to teach (for a fee) the mud swirl technique
but the person has never responded to my email.

Suggestions would be most welcome!

John Keith

Some of these may spark your creativity:

http://www.artoftexturing.com/Patterns.htm
http://www.artexing.pwp.blueyonder.c...20patterns.htm
http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_10/...E_DOWNLOAD.pdf