Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE Washer overfills

We have a GE washer about ten years old, GE still makes the model.
Only on the largest setting and only on the cold rinse, the fill
doesn't stop and the tub overflows. There is switch that sets the
capacity (water level) which I'm leaning toward as the problem but then
it should overfill on the wash cycle also. This is the first problem
in ten years so we don't want to replace it.

Oh and when the washer is out for repairs I'll be putting in an
overflow pan ($25) and drain, even though the laundry room is on a
slab.

Any thoughts or experience?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Howard wrote:
We have a GE washer about ten years old, GE still makes the model.
Only on the largest setting and only on the cold rinse, the fill
doesn't stop and the tub overflows. There is switch that sets the
capacity (water level) which I'm leaning toward as the problem but then
it should overfill on the wash cycle also. This is the first problem
in ten years so we don't want to replace it.

Oh and when the washer is out for repairs I'll be putting in an
overflow pan ($25) and drain, even though the laundry room is on a
slab.

Any thoughts or experience?

First place many people go to for competent help and parts is
repairclinic.com. Odds are they'll know what you need and have the
parts to fix it. Good luck

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the washer won't stop filling, even when you turn it off or unplug
it, then the proplem is in the fill valve.

If the above doesn't cover your problem, then the fill level is
controlled by two components: the pressure switch or the tub that
connects it to the tub. Here are the possible options:

1. Problem with the switch itself. Remove the tube and blow into it.
If you hear a click, it probably isn't the culprit.
2. Tube has a cut in it, or has come off at the switch.
3. The nipple where it connects to the tub is blocked by debris. This
last option is more rare than the others, and might possibly require
removal of the basket to clear out the debris.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Somewhat off-topic, we have a GE washer that spills water all over the
floor when a large load is washed AND the "wash/spin" speed is set to
high. Guess it goes too fast. Only a half a gallo or so spills.
Clothes come out very very spun and take no time to dry !

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roger61 can pop the front off (putty knife releases clips between front
and top), and look at the unit during spin to see where the water is
coming from. Is it spinning it over the top? That is very unusual.