Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting lining wallpaper

Having stripped & repapered my kitchen with a good quality lining
paper, I put a coat of emulsion on the paper & the paint seemed to
lift the paper especially at the edges, most of the paper has gone
back to the wall ok as the paint has dried, but quite a few edges are
still lifted from the wall.
Anyone have a good solution to keep the paper flat to the wall.

Thanks

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hugh Glass wrote:
On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 23:01:31 +0100, millt .@ wrote:

Having stripped & repapered my kitchen with a good quality lining
paper, I put a coat of emulsion on the paper & the paint seemed to
lift the paper especially at the edges, most of the paper has gone
back to the wall ok as the paint has dried, but quite a few edges are
still lifted from the wall.
Anyone have a good solution to keep the paper flat to the wall.

Thanks

Rich

Glue the edges back down with a premixed wallpaper adhesive.

And roll the seams.

Posted to alt.home.repair

millt .@ wrote in :

Having stripped & repapered my kitchen with a good quality lining
paper, I put a coat of emulsion on the paper & the paint seemed to
lift the paper especially at the edges, most of the paper has gone
back to the wall ok as the paint has dried, but quite a few edges are
still lifted from the wall.
Anyone have a good solution to keep the paper flat to the wall.

Thanks

Rich

Have very little wallpapering experience...

- but -

Have a lot of experience with lifting wallpaper. It was in a house I am
redoing. Wallpaper someone painted over. A mess. All bubbled. Can't put
latex anything over wallpaper or if wallpaper is under the surface.
Solution is to cover wallpaper with oil base primer and paint.

What is emulsion? Is it water based?

Posted to alt.home.repair

millt wrote:
Having stripped & repapered my kitchen with a good quality lining
paper, I put a coat of emulsion on the paper & the paint seemed to
lift the paper especially at the edges, most of the paper has gone
back to the wall ok as the paint has dried, but quite a few edges are
still lifted from the wall.
Anyone have a good solution to keep the paper flat to the wall.

Thanks

Rich

I don't know what lining paper is, but would venture a guess that you
are using water-based paint and it softened the paste. Saw the same
effect once on regular wallpaper. Emulsion?

Solvent-based primer/sealer would be the solution, I suppose. After you
paste down the lifted edges. You can mix up some glue, brush it across
the lifted edges so that it is forced under the paper - press it down,
wipe, dry, tape down ever so carefully to it lays flat until dry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

After you glue it flat and it dries a week or so reprime in oil, if you
had used oil you would not have re-activated the glue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:25:42 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

millt wrote:
[...]

Many thanks to everyone who replied.

Im from the UK & take it that most in here are from across the big
Pond in the USA.
Emulsion for those who don't know what it is , is a water based paint
used for painting walls, & wallpaper, so I guess going on the answers
in here, its the water in the emulsion thats lifting the paper. I also
assume that the cheaper emulsions contain a highr level of water, so
maybe thats my problem?
Oil based primer seems to be the way to go & have read that a product
called Kilz is a good one? although I'm unsure if thats availiable
here in the UK. Will have to search out & find some good oil based
primer.
Just for the record, what is solvent based primer??

Another possible solution that a few have mentioned is prime the wall
first with a PVA sealer( a wood glue & water mix) but this would
still be water based! so Im unsure if this would work or not.
Thanks for the mention of the edge roller as this seems to be a great
idea.

Once again, I was thrilled to get so many take there time & reply to
my post. You're all very kind & I thank you all

Best wishes

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

millt wrote:
[...]

If the liner paper was put up with heavy duty vinyl wallpaper adhesive,
as they all should be, and you waited a couple of days before priming,
the liner paper shouldn't have lifted with either oil based or water
based paint.

How long did you wait after applying the liner paper before painting?
Did you use a primer or did you go straight to the finish paint?

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped
assume that the cheaper emulsions contain a highr level of water, so
maybe thats my problem?
Oil based primer seems to be the way to go & have read that a product
called Kilz is a good one? although I'm unsure if thats availiable
here in the UK. Will have to search out & find some good oil based
primer.
Just for the record, what is solvent based primer??

"Oil." "Alkyd." Something that isn't water )

Another possible solution that a few have mentioned is prime the wall
first with a PVA sealer( a wood glue & water mix) but this would
still be water based! so Im unsure if this would work or not.

What brand is your paper? Does it have instructions for coating it?

Thanks for the mention of the edge roller as this seems to be a great
idea.

Easy does it if paper is textured .. don't want to smash it.