Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Coiling wire?

I need some hints, on how to coil some 12-2 _neatly_. I have a spool of it,
and shipping some off. The problem I'm having is, it has to fit in a
certain size box. Once it comes off the spool, it sure doesn't want to coil
up neatly like it is on the spool. It likes to twist around etc.

Anyways, thanks for helping out someone that couldn't find a book for
dummies, on coiling wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Randy O." wrote in message
.. .
I need some hints, on how to coil some 12-2 _neatly_. I have a spool of it,
and shipping some off. The problem I'm having is, it has to fit in a
certain size box. Once it comes off the spool, it sure doesn't want to coil
up neatly like it is on the spool. It likes to twist around etc.

More specifics needed. feet on spool now, roll size/feet needed, etc.

-zero

Posted to alt.home.repair

"zero" wrote in message
. ..

"Randy O." wrote in message
.. .
I need some hints, on how to coil some 12-2 _neatly_. I have a spool of
it, and shipping some off. The problem I'm having is, it has to fit in a
certain size box. Once it comes off the spool, it sure doesn't want to
coil up neatly like it is on the spool. It likes to twist around etc.

More specifics needed. feet on spool now, roll size/feet needed, etc.

Stupid question- where are you shipping it, that they just can't drive into
town and buy a roll, probably for less than what the shipping/box/gas to
get to post office will cost?

aem sends, curiously....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Randy O." wrote in message
.. .
I need some hints, on how to coil some 12-2 _neatly_. I have a spool of it,
and shipping some off. The problem I'm having is, it has to fit in a
certain size box. Once it comes off the spool, it sure doesn't want to coil
up neatly like it is on the spool. It likes to twist around etc.

Anyways, thanks for helping out someone that couldn't find a book for
dummies, on coiling wire.

Wind it on to a core like a 2 liter soda bottle. Don't twist it, just wrap
it on as it comes off the larger spool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Stupid question- where are you shipping it, that they just can't drive
into town and buy a roll, probably for less than what the
shipping/box/gas to get to post office will cost?

I'm shipping it all over the country. I had gotten a heck of a deal on some
12-2 UF underground, 5 bucks per thousand feet! Anyways, it's going for
around 30 cents a foot on eBay. I've sold some in 50 & 100 lengths. USPS
gives you free boxes for priority, and if you ship flat rate priority @
$8.10, you can ship upto 70 lbs. in the box. It's still a deal over what
you can buy wire for over the counter.

I'm going to try what Edwin suggest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's your ebay user name?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Randy O." wrote in message
. ..

wrote

@
$8.10, you can ship upto 70 lbs. in the box. It's still a deal over
what
you can buy wire for over the counter.

I'm going to try what Edwin suggest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Randy O. wrote:
I need some hints, on how to coil some 12-2 _neatly_. I have a spool of it,
and shipping some off. The problem I'm having is, it has to fit in a
certain size box. Once it comes off the spool, it sure doesn't want to coil
up neatly like it is on the spool. It likes to twist around etc.

Anyways, thanks for helping out someone that couldn't find a book for
dummies, on coiling wire.

I've found that when trying to wind "stiff" wire like that by hand into
say a one to two foot diameter coil I do a couple of turns clockwise and
then flip the coil around so the next two turns wind counterclockwise,
then flip it again, etc.

Works for me...Try it...

Ideally, you should get one of those rigs which lets you wind the wire
without twisting it, bind it up and then collapse the "spool" to remove
the finished coil. One like this:

http://www.series4.co.uk/prodeqpt/section16/ds58.htm

HTH,

Jeff

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Randy O." wrote in
:

I need some hints, on how to coil some 12-2 _neatly_. I have a spool
of it, and shipping some off. The problem I'm having is, it has to fit
in a certain size box. Once it comes off the spool, it sure doesn't
want to coil up neatly like it is on the spool. It likes to twist
around etc.

Anyways, thanks for helping out someone that couldn't find a book for
dummies, on coiling wire.

Lay it out in the sun. Coil it while it's laying in a straight line on
the ground. Just a guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

What's your ebay user name?

I would be spamming this NG, and I wouldn't feel right about it, sorry.

I've gotten a gotten some good advice, and will give it a whirl!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Randy O." wrote in message
. ..

wrote

Stupid question- where are you shipping it, that they just can't drive
into town and buy a roll, probably for less than what the
shipping/box/gas to get to post office will cost?

I'm shipping it all over the country. I had gotten a heck of a deal on
some 12-2 UF underground, 5 bucks per thousand feet! Anyways, it's going
for around 30 cents a foot on eBay. I've sold some in 50 & 100 lengths.
USPS gives you free boxes for priority, and if you ship flat rate priority
@ $8.10, you can ship upto 70 lbs. in the box. It's still a deal over what
you can buy wire for over the counter.

You'll make enough money to do it right and afford this;
http://www.blasterstool.com/browsepr...WIRE-REEL.html

Or butcher your own with a plastic hose reel and some 6" bolts.

-zero

Posted to alt.home.repair

Randy O. wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

What's your ebay user name?

I would be spamming this NG, and I wouldn't feel right about it, sorry.

I've gotten a gotten some good advice, and will give it a whirl!

Of course you could -try- just handing them the wire and have them pack
it. It works for normal items but a loose batch of wire?? I can just
see the look on the clerk's face.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Randy O. wrote:
I need some hints, on how to coil some 12-2 _neatly_. I have a spool
of it, and shipping some off. The problem I'm having is, it has to
fit in a certain size box. Once it comes off the spool, it sure
doesn't want to coil up neatly like it is on the spool. It likes to
twist around etc.
Anyways, thanks for helping out someone that couldn't find a book for
dummies, on coiling wire.

If you look on Ebay for "wire coiler" you'll find a couple for ~$200.

If you use Google for the same phrase, you'll find dozens (I didn't see any
prices) but, by studying the technique, I bet you could whip up your own out
of parts in your garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

zero wrote:
"Randy O." wrote in message
. ..

wrote

Stupid question- where are you shipping it, that they just can't drive
into town and buy a roll, probably for less than what the
shipping/box/gas to get to post office will cost?

I'm shipping it all over the country. I had gotten a heck of a deal on
some 12-2 UF underground, 5 bucks per thousand feet! Anyways, it's going
for around 30 cents a foot on eBay. I've sold some in 50 & 100 lengths.
USPS gives you free boxes for priority, and if you ship flat rate priority
@ $8.10, you can ship upto 70 lbs. in the box. It's still a deal over what
you can buy wire for over the counter.

You'll make enough money to do it right and afford this;
http://www.blasterstool.com/browsepr...WIRE-REEL.html

Or butcher your own with a plastic hose reel and some 6" bolts.

-zero

do you realize anyone who followed that blasting link is now marked as
a terrorist, feds will be watching us closely, watch what you put out
for garbage

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, you already asked about winding.

Spam is unsolicited ad. I just asked, which makes it.... solicitied.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Randy O." wrote in message
. ..

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

What's your ebay user name?

I would be spamming this NG, and I wouldn't feel right about it,
sorry.

I've gotten a gotten some good advice, and will give it a whirl!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
Well, you already asked about winding.

Spam is unsolicited ad. I just asked, which makes it.... solicitied.

If you go to eBay, look at the completed auctions, & a couple which are
running this wire. Ok, I decided to auction it in 50' & 75', instead of 50'
& 100'. Anyways, that will tell you who I am!

Why not .035 wire in 115V MIG? Eric R Snow Metalworking 10 May 14th 06 12:44 AM
iron wire WIND Metalworking 0 April 19th 06 09:56 AM
Technique: wire preparation for a terminal block Zak Electronics Repair 12 March 21st 06 09:47 PM
Repairing Lightning Damaged Tv's CJ Electronics Repair 20 June 22nd 04 06:03 AM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM