Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Difficult is Taping/Mudding Drywall?

"trbo20" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the comments, Jim. I'm always looking to improve my
knowledge and welcome well thought out contradictions.

On the topic of Green vs. Blue lid, this is what the USG site has"

The green lid is referred to as "All Purpose Joint Compound".
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y2D011BAD
They mention that it's good for all coats, but I know from experience
it's tough to sand.

The blue lid is "Light Weight Joint Compound"
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E6F035BAD
It is much less dense than the green lid stuff. If you go to the store
and lift both buckets, you can really feel the difference. It's very
nice to work with, but I would only top coat with it.

There are two different blue lid buckets of compound commonly found on the
shelf/pallet at your local home center: light blue and dark blue, which
represent Topping Joint Compound and AP Joint Compound.

Pay attention to the name of the product. The light blue lids are on the
buckets of Topping. You don't tape with the light blue lids. It says so
right on the bucket. It is for finish coats only, and sands nicely.

You tape with the green lid, also known as all-purpose or "AP", or the
darker blue lids, which signify Joint Compound. If you get confused, read
the back of the bucket.

As for the mesh tape, it is self-adhesive. There is nothing wrong with
using it for the flats, but you'll want to use paper for the corners
(including the wall-ceiling joint). With *paper* tape, you lay a bed coat
of mud first. Stick the *mesh* tape directly to the drywall - there is no
bed coat application until *after* the mesh tape is stuck to the wall.

The red lid is "First Coat Primer".
http://makeashorterlink.com/?X10115BAD
I've never seen this one before, but from the description I get the
impression that it's simply a latex primer and not a joint compound.
Could be I'm looking at the wrong thing.

There are red lids on some ceiling texture and plaster products as well.

After this, there are the setting type compounds. I think their main
advantage is speed. I understand you can finish a job in a day, but
you need to be able to work fast. I've never tried using them before
since I'm never in that much of a hurry.

There is a big difference between the ready-mixed compounds and the
setting-type compounds. The latter dries mostly as a matter of a chemical
reaction, while the former dries mostly as a matter of evaporation, and is
referred to as "drying-type". The setting-type compounds are stronger, and
are used by many for the bed coat. They do dry faster. They come in powder
form, but be aware, there is also a drying-type compound that comes in
powder form, though I've yet to see it on the shelf.