Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Difficult is Taping/Mudding Drywall?

Hey Cindy,
You are right the basic premis of Drywalling is not tough, but out of
most projects I leave this one alone (and sanding floors ugh!). It is
just a pain in the behind. The amount of time it takes a pro to get it
done and looking great is worth the few bucks for me. I rather spend
my time on one of my other bazillion projects. I can find drywallers
in my area very cheap and it just isn't worth my time.

However you gotta try everything once to know if you like it. I
would recommend not buying the self adhering tape, just regualar old
mude and tape with a two different knife sizes. cover all screw holes
and apply a genrous amount of mud over seams. You need enough mud so
the tape is secure at all points otherwise it will bubble and peel once
it starts drying. Remove all excess mud since you'll just make a mess
snading later and it is tedious time consuming work. Let it dry for a
day have some lighter grit sandpaper and buff over any previous work.
Use a larger knife say 8-10 inches for the second coat and feather out
the area so that the taped edges to not look dimpled or raised. You
might even have to do a third coat depending on how it goes.

If this is going to be direct line of sight then take your time, if
it is your first attempt three maybe even four shots of muding/sanding
may not be out of the question. If you are doing outside or inside
corners the process is more or less the same. If you are doing an
outside corner i would recommend some corner bead so that the edge of
the drywall has some sort of protection and will not get bumped and
dented over time.

Drywalling is a skill learned from practice and patience. Just review
the online pages for DIY'ers and role them sleeves up!
Good luck

Cindy wrote:
Hello,

We're about to remove some paneling that has sheetrock underneath. Our guess is
there was never any taping done to it or it will need major repair from the
paneling coming off. I've never attempted this before and although everything
looks fairly straightforward on TV, is this something a DYI'er could accomplish
fairly easily?

Thanks,

Cindy

the charity you choose - 100% of your first month, 10% thereafter.

newsguy.com/charity.asp