Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Leak around the Foundation

After a very hard rain(Tropical Storm Ernesto just passed though),
water is coming into the house and wetting the carpet. The walls are
not wet and our roof is new. We think that the water is coming from
around where the block sits on the foundation. Has anyone else had
this problem? If so what sealer did you use or what did you do to fix
the problem?

Thanks for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
After a very hard rain(Tropical Storm Ernesto just passed though),
water is coming into the house and wetting the carpet. The walls are
not wet and our roof is new. We think that the water is coming from
around where the block sits on the foundation. Has anyone else had
this problem? If so what sealer did you use or what did you do to fix
the problem?

Thanks for any help.

Sounds like you have a cement block house with slab floor that is at or
below the ouside ground level. If so , yes water will soak through the
blocks.
You need to seal the outside a bit above and below ground. I would use
asphalt, hot if possible.. Even that may not prove sucessfull, if it is
a slab floor, water could be coming up from under the slab. Especially
where the slab joins the ouside foundation. Also slab floors are great
to have termite infestation. The slab can and usually do crack under a
interior wall and gives them an entrance and you don't know it till
they have ate half the wall up. Yes the slab is suppose to have a
plastic barrier beneath it, but that depends on how good the builder
was and if it was actually put down. I know because I lived for 40
years in Florida and ever slab floored house I knew of had a termite
problem. Especially so if the ground level was in a damp area, which
most of Florida is. Sorry if I sound disappoining but the truth is the
truth.
Jack

Hot Water Recirculator Comfort Valve Inefficiencies Cost More Then An Outlet Install [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 21st 06 12:13 AM
Salt content of softened water Steve B Home Repair 26 January 25th 06 04:06 AM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM