Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Difficult is Taping/Mudding Drywall?

Cindy wrote in
:

Hello,

We're about to remove some paneling that has sheetrock underneath. Our
guess is there was never any taping done to it or it will need major
repair from the paneling coming off. I've never attempted this before
and although everything looks fairly straightforward on TV, is this
something a DYI'er could accomplish fairly easily?

Thanks,

Cindy

Couple of things not mentioned but I found useful. If you do sand, the
Sanding Sponges are awesome in my opinion. Come in different grits, sizes
and shapes. Last a looooong time. Can wash them. Available everywhere
from HD/Lowes to Wally World.

Once you sand, before putting on the next coat, brush the wall down and
wipe it very lightly with a damp (not wet) drywall sponge. I've found
that the drywall dust from sanding causes the next coat to cake vs being
smooth becuase the dust quickly absorbs the moisture in the mud you are
applying.

The final coat of mud is often thinned SLIGHTLY for smoothness. May sound
silly but adding a bit of Dawn dishwashing detergent makes it nice and
creamy.

Don't whip the mud with like a high speed paint mixer. If you do you will
find a zillion tiny pucks on the wall from where minute air bubbles pop.

Those are the tips I can think of right off...or a history of my screwups
if you prefer:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't whip the mud with like a high speed paint mixer. If you do you will
find a zillion tiny pucks on the wall from where minute air bubbles pop.

I use this exact one:
http://www.pavepatch.com/pail-mixer-...ter-pi-30.html

It folds the mud nicely without introducing air. Makes a big
difference in the quality of the texture when you go to apply it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trbo20" wrote in news:1157117156.773663.67100
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

http://www.pavepatch.com/pail-mixer-...ter-pi-30.html

Thanks for the pointer. Pic always worth 1k words.

Al...