Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about screw sizes

I noticed that as screw diameters become smaller, they convert to #'s.
Would these be metric? For example you have fractional sizes, then 10,
8,6 etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

No they're not metric.
wrote in message
oups.com...
I noticed that as screw diameters become smaller, they convert to #'s.
Would these be metric? For example you have fractional sizes, then 10,
8,6 etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philkryder wrote:

And when are we going metric?????

We're not.

In fact, since China makes most of our tools, we are slowly converting THEM
to Imperial.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
So, you would use the same formula no matter what # the screw is? In
the above formula, the only thing that changes is the screw #?
BobK207 wrote:
philkryder wrote:
so since
.0625 = 1/16
and
.0125 = 1/80

a #10 screw
would be

1/16 + (10*1/80) = 1/16+ 1/8 = 3/16?
interesting.

thanks.

And when are we going metric?????

BobK207 wrote:
wrote:
I noticed that as screw diameters become smaller, they convert to #'s.
Would these be metric? For example you have fractional sizes, then 10,
8,6 etc.

No they are not metric BUT....... the major diameter (od over the
threads approx)

matches very closely to

.0625" + (screw size # ) multiplied by .0125"

check it out it helps me remember screw OD's

gets close enough

cheers
Bob

Yup! I kinda geeked out one day.....I actually curve fit screw OD's
in Excel to see if there was some sort of reasonable fit.....there is
within a thou or two.

your explanation ......

.0625 = 1/16
and
.0125 = 1/80

makes it easier to remember

cheers
Bob

So, you would use the same formula no matter what # the screw is? In

the above formula, the only thing that changes is the screw #?

yes....just plug in the screw size number & you'll get the OD of the
screw within a few thousandths of an inch.

so for a number 6 machine screw 6 * 1/80 + 1/16 = .1375"

# 6 screw OD is ~ .136" so the formula works close enough for me &
it's easier to remember than all the screw sizes 1 thru 10

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
the above formula, the only thing that changes is the screw #?

yes....just plug in the screw size number & you'll get the OD of the
screw within a few thousandths of an inch.

so for a number 6 machine screw 6 * 1/80 + 1/16 = .1375"

# 6 screw OD is ~ .136" so the formula works close enough for me &
it's easier to remember than all the screw sizes 1 thru 10

I hold the screw next to the drill index and pick a bit that's smaller --
within a few thousandths of an inch, that is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
BobK207 wrote:
the above formula, the only thing that changes is the screw #?

yes....just plug in the screw size number & you'll get the OD of the
screw within a few thousandths of an inch.

so for a number 6 machine screw 6 * 1/80 + 1/16 = .1375"

# 6 screw OD is ~ .136" so the formula works close enough for me &
it's easier to remember than all the screw sizes 1 thru 10

I hold the screw next to the drill index and pick a bit that's smaller --
within a few thousandths of an inch, that is.

I thought we were discussing screw OD vs screw size number

If you're trying to choose a pilot drill size.....just eye ball it.

Got bigger for hardwood, smaller for softwood

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ha! you think you can resist the logic & usefulness of the good ol' metric
system?

Even England seems to be able to see the sense - well, sort of - (except on
the road, a bit like they're a sort of a member of the EU).

BTW, Australia went metric in 1973, but you can still buy imperial screw
sizes, in fact in woodworking & marine for example still use those wacky
sizes....

"HeyBub" wrote in message
philkryder wrote:

And when are we going metric?????

We're not.

In fact, since China makes most of our tools, we are slowly converting
THEM to Imperial.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does anyone know "the history" of how these numbers came about?

For example, shotgun gauges are based on a pound of pure lead divide
into equal sized spheres...

what are screw sizes and wire and metal gauges based on?

"HeyBub" wrote in message
philkryder wrote:

And when are we going metric?????

We're not.

In fact, since China makes most of our tools, we are slowly converting
THEM to Imperial.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Aug 2006 17:58:15 -0700, "philkryder"
wrote:

Does anyone know "the history" of how these numbers came about?

For example, shotgun gauges are based on a pound of pure lead divide
into equal sized spheres...

what are screw sizes and wire and metal gauges based on?

Wire guage is based on how many holes in the draw-plate
you pulled the wire through to get that size.
I'm pretty sure that screw-sized are based on wire-guage.