Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Question about screw sizes

wrote:
So, you would use the same formula no matter what # the screw is? In
the above formula, the only thing that changes is the screw #?
BobK207 wrote:
philkryder wrote:
so since
.0625 = 1/16
and
.0125 = 1/80

a #10 screw
would be

1/16 + (10*1/80) = 1/16+ 1/8 = 3/16?
interesting.

thanks.

And when are we going metric?????

BobK207 wrote:
wrote:
I noticed that as screw diameters become smaller, they convert to #'s.
Would these be metric? For example you have fractional sizes, then 10,
8,6 etc.

No they are not metric BUT....... the major diameter (od over the
threads approx)

matches very closely to

.0625" + (screw size # ) multiplied by .0125"

check it out it helps me remember screw OD's

gets close enough

cheers
Bob

Yup! I kinda geeked out one day.....I actually curve fit screw OD's
in Excel to see if there was some sort of reasonable fit.....there is
within a thou or two.

your explanation ......

.0625 = 1/16
and
.0125 = 1/80

makes it easier to remember

cheers
Bob

So, you would use the same formula no matter what # the screw is? In

the above formula, the only thing that changes is the screw #?

yes....just plug in the screw size number & you'll get the OD of the
screw within a few thousandths of an inch.

so for a number 6 machine screw 6 * 1/80 + 1/16 = .1375"

# 6 screw OD is ~ .136" so the formula works close enough for me &
it's easier to remember than all the screw sizes 1 thru 10

cheers
Bob