Posted to alt.home.repair

Default a/c problem

A YORK A/C, Heater 4 ton 13 SEER, purchased and installed in 2003, MDL#

HIRDO485S06A, has a serious problem.

When started it put out a temperature in the low sixties range (62 )
service tech reported. In the first vent in the house the temperature
is also in the low sixties. However after he left the temperature in
the house, vent goes into the 70 + area. The house itself takes hours
to drop the temperature down to 80. In fact on a really hot 100 + day
it never got below 84.

Their response was that the "ducts" are probably plugged up. After that
we checked all the in and out vents and they are all about the same
out's and in's as it has always been, regarding air flow.

My opinion is that the compressor starts out at a reasonable
temperature but the longer it operates the higher the out put
temperature. Trying to get the tech out on a hot day while it is in
this condition has been ignored (there is a 5 year warranty for all
work and services from the local vender).

I intend to measure the compressor out put temperature and the
temperature
inside the house vents to determine if they both change dramatically,
as I suspect they will.

My question is simply, what is the normal range of the output
temperature of
this particular York A/C, about 5 to 10 minutes and after several hours
of
operation on a 100 + day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

measure the temperature of the air at the return grille...the big
grille that pulls in air.... and at the supply vents that blow
out....there should be 18 degrees difference...give or take a couple of
degrees.... 18-20 is ideal and it should hold this difference no matter
what. You had a dumbass at your house...not a technician....

If they installed it tell them they need to fix it..........

Posted to alt.home.repair

As Corny the AC technician mentions,t he cold air blowing out should
be 20 degrees or so colder than the warm air returning to the furnace.

I can think of at least a couple reasons this might occur, and all the
solutions involve a repairman working on the system.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

The old 10-SEER condenser had a larger compressor BTUH capacity in
relationship to the cooling coil than does the 13-SEER.
Therefore, with the 13-SEER matched system the coil temps will not be
quite as cold at the same airflow rates through it.

If you ran the unit at night when the air temp was too cold the
evaporator will drop below the freezing point & it will freeze over.
If that was not the cause then it could be leaking down yet, or there
might be several other problems.

If the rooms furthermost from the blower are much warmer, then you have
an airflow & probable ductwork problem.
The system may have numerous things NOT functioning properly that need
to be revealed using effective troubleshooting techniques, & then fixed!
Well, you might want to give the so-called tech some hard copies of some
of my pages.
That may or may not help him, some simply refuse to or cannot learn.
It is your decision, however, I would not let him near the system again!
Read & learn! - udarrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dirty condensor
Clog in the freon system some where (often filter drier, or orifice or
TXV)
Dirty evaporator
Low freon

If the compressor is getting too hot, it's very likely dirty
condensor.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...

Stormin Mormon wrote:
As Corny the AC technician mentions,t he cold air blowing out should
be 20 degrees or so colder than the warm air returning to the

furnace.

I can think of at least a couple reasons this might occur, and all

the
solutions involve a repairman working on the system.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wouldn't it be the same BTU hours? Seems like the new system might
even cool better, cause it's all new clean equipment.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

. ..

wrote:

A YORK A/C, Heater 4 ton 13 SEER, purchased and installed in 2003,

MDL#

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Dirty condensor
Clog in the freon system some where (often filter drier, or orifice or
TXV)
Dirty evaporator
Low freon

If the compressor is getting too hot, it's very likely dirty
condensor.

Hey Stumpy do you EVER learn? Freon is a trade name. It's refrigerant you are
referring to. Can you learn?
--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

For cooling, it is better to have both Supply Air & Return Air near or
on the ceiling.
Low airflow & lack of throw from diffusers compounds the problem when SA
& RA are near or at the cooler air floor level!.
- udarrell

--

--------------------------------------

Tekkie® wrote:

Stormin Mormon posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Dirty condensor
Clog in the freon system some where (often filter drier, or orifice or
TXV)
Dirty evaporator
Low freon

If the compressor is getting too hot, it's very likely dirty
condensor.

Hey Stumpy do you EVER learn? Freon is a trade name. It's refrigerant you are
referring to. Can you learn?
--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"udarrell" wrote in message
For cooling, it is better to have both Supply Air & Return Air near or on
the ceiling.

Could you elaborate on this? Why do you want the return high? Would
that not hamper, rather than enhance air flow through the room? Is the idea
to draw out the warmer air near the ceiling?