Posted to alt.home.repair
MP MP is offline

Default Punchdown Blocks?

I will be moving into my new place soon, and all the wiring has been done
already.

At the place where all the Cat5 cable ends are, I'd like to get a punchdown
block and use it to make the wiring really clean.

I will have less than 10 cables and would like to know what I need to get.
That's where I will be putting the switch/router.

What "spec" do I need to look for in a punchdown block? Does it need to have
x amount of pairs, etc.

Thanks in advance.
MP

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MP" wrote in message
.. .
I will be moving into my new place soon, and all the wiring has been done
already.

At the place where all the Cat5 cable ends are, I'd like to get a

punchdown
block and use it to make the wiring really clean.

I will have less than 10 cables and would like to know what I need to get.
That's where I will be putting the switch/router.

What "spec" do I need to look for in a punchdown block? Does it need to

have
x amount of pairs, etc.

Thanks in advance.
MP

Do a patch pannel for it and the connect the patch pannel to the switch that
is the way the pros do it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

A 12 port Cat5E punchdown block ought to do it for you. I just wired my
house too and I used this one:

http://www.hometech.com/techwire/head.html#LE-47689QP

Near the bottom of the page, part #GC-PV5E12P

"MP" wrote in message
.. .
I will be moving into my new place soon, and all the wiring has been done
already.

At the place where all the Cat5 cable ends are, I'd like to get a
punchdown block and use it to make the wiring really clean.

I will have less than 10 cables and would like to know what I need to get.
That's where I will be putting the switch/router.

What "spec" do I need to look for in a punchdown block? Does it need to
have x amount of pairs, etc.

Thanks in advance.
MP

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MP" pondered the following:
I will be moving into my new place soon, and all the wiring has been done
already.

At the place where all the Cat5 cable ends are, I'd like to get a
punchdown block and use it to make the wiring really clean.

I will have less than 10 cables and would like to know what I need to get.
That's where I will be putting the switch/router.

What "spec" do I need to look for in a punchdown block? Does it need to
have x amount of pairs, etc.

Thanks in advance.
MP

Why even bother with punch blocks or patch panels? More money, more places
for things to go wrong. Why not just terminate your Cat5e cables with the
RJ-45 (if they aren't already) and plug them directly into the
router/switch. You can get nice cable tags to put on each cable to ID it.
Most patch bays and punch blocks I've seen put in (some even by 'pros')
remove to much of the twist violating the standard for cat5e cabling. With
less then 10 cables it doesn't seem unmanageable.

BTW - how come you are not cabling to cat6? FTTH (Fiber to the home) is on
it's way!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
No No is offline

jackson wrote:
"MP" pondered the following:
I will be moving into my new place soon, and all the wiring has been done
already.

At the place where all the Cat5 cable ends are, I'd like to get a
punchdown block and use it to make the wiring really clean.

I will have less than 10 cables and would like to know what I need to get.
That's where I will be putting the switch/router.

What "spec" do I need to look for in a punchdown block? Does it need to
have x amount of pairs, etc.

Thanks in advance.
MP

Why even bother with punch blocks or patch panels? More money, more places
for things to go wrong. Why not just terminate your Cat5e cables with the
RJ-45 (if they aren't already) and plug them directly into the
router/switch. You can get nice cable tags to put on each cable to ID it.

Don't do this, its ugly and less reliable.

Most patch bays and punch blocks I've seen put in (some even by 'pros')
remove to much of the twist violating the standard for cat5e cabling. With
less then 10 cables it doesn't seem unmanageable.

BTW - how come you are not cabling to cat6? FTTH (Fiber to the home) is on
it's way!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
No No is offline

J.A. Michel wrote:
A 12 port Cat5E punchdown block ought to do it for you. I just wired my
house too and I used this one:

http://www.hometech.com/techwire/head.html#LE-47689QP

Near the bottom of the page, part #GC-PV5E12P

"MP" wrote in message
.. .
I will be moving into my new place soon, and all the wiring has been done
already.

At the place where all the Cat5 cable ends are, I'd like to get a
punchdown block and use it to make the wiring really clean.

I will have less than 10 cables and would like to know what I need to get.
That's where I will be putting the switch/router.

What "spec" do I need to look for in a punchdown block? Does it need to
have x amount of pairs, etc.

Thanks in advance.
MP

Thats the ticket! I have used those many times for residential and small
business. Notice it says 569A/B. 568B is more common now. Make sure you
pick A or B and stick with it throughout and on your wall jacks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
MP MP is offline

Thanks for all your replies. The condo I bought has been prewired with Cat5;
when I bought it the drywall was all in, i had not choice in type of wiring;
I'm happy that they wired it the way they did.

Looks like this is what I will use (if I have enough vertical rooom to put
this in); if not, maybe 2 x 6 port ones?

http://www.hometech.com/techwire/head.html#LE-47689QP

Near the bottom of the page, part #GC-PV5E12P

Posted to alt.home.repair

"No" blathered:

Why even bother with punch blocks or patch panels? More money, more
places for things to go wrong. Why not just terminate your Cat5e cables
with the RJ-45 (if they aren't already) and plug them directly into the
router/switch. You can get nice cable tags to put on each cable to ID
it.

Don't do this, its ugly and less reliable.

Why? Why is adding more places for signal attenuation MORE reliable?
Still, just curious?

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's the ticket! I have used those many times for residential and small
business. Notice it says 569A/B. 568B is more common now. Make sure you
pick A or B and stick with it throughout and on your wall jacks.

Yep, I wired all mine to the "B" spec.

Dek Blocks vrs. cement footings Duke1973 Home Repair 7 July 22nd 06 07:51 PM
Blocks for bandsaws Toller Woodworking 4 March 31st 06 05:26 PM
Question about 1-2-3 blocks Tony Metalworking 33 July 10th 05 01:29 AM
henly blocks with seals Mark UK diy 15 January 21st 04 08:58 AM
Replacing hardwood floor blocks with tiles Stephen Jones UK diy 0 July 30th 03 12:46 PM